Grimdoomer's Tesla Coil Project

Grimdoomer
Admin

Grimdoomer's Tesla Coil Project

Post by Grimdoomer »

Well I've been looking at some Tesla Coil videos on Youtube, and I want to make one too. If you don't know what a Tesa Coil is, here is a video. But this is what it can do :D it wireleslly transmits electricity. Starting tomaro I will gether materials get some help from my dad and I will begin building it.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
Dragonfire

Re: Grimdoomer's Tesla Coil Project

Post by Dragonfire »

Make it BIG so we can see the fireworks :D
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

^_^
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

seeing that vid gives me bad idea's. :shock:

I have to build one, but I'm too lazy at the moment.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

Your gonna be spending allot on copper wire.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Not a problem, my paretns work at IBM so it should't be a problem to get some gauged wire.
Yamagushi

Post by Yamagushi »

Err... This seems like a very dangerous science project for someone your age...
Detox. Sorry for leaking your RTH. Everyone else, Dont mess with these ppl.... x_x
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Yamagushi wrote:Err... This seems like a very dangerous science project for someone your age...
Yea, I don't think I'll be making it any time soon :cry:
Gary

Post by Gary »

i spit in the face of danger, jk

And depending what your power source is, it shouldn't be able to kill or hurt you to badly...
i've been shocked by a 120V AC outlet many times, it never hurt me... that bad *flinch*
It all depends on how you build it, whats your plans on its method to turn up the voltage?
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

gjsdeath wrote:i spit in the face of danger, jk

And depending what your power source is, it shouldn't be able to kill or hurt you to badly...
i've been shocked by a 120V AC outlet many times, it never hurt me... that bad *flinch*
It all depends on how you build it, whats your plans on its method to turn up the voltage?
Not sure, im gunna start with batterys? I've seen someone use 2 12 volt batterys.
Remnant Samurai

Post by Remnant Samurai »

just make sure you get a video of it even if especially explodes lol
Yamagushi

Post by Yamagushi »

Grimdoomer wrote:
gjsdeath wrote:i spit in the face of danger, jk

Not sure, im gunna start with batterys? I've seen someone use 2 12 volt batterys.
Errm... I studied electrical. You got lucky and got disconnected from the outlet. There is PLENTY enough electricity in your wall outlet to kill you. Let me assure u that. More than likely though fuses will save you from that.

As for using 2 12v batterys, i doubt it would make it any less dangerous, For it to work it needs a lot of stored energy, there will be parts that even when only powered by 2 12vs will have enough electricity to hurt u badly if not kill you. As well as the bolt of electricity that comes out of it. Telephone polls have a shitload of electricity yet you dont see electricity flying out and hiting the ground, I use that as an example to make u realize how much power you have to deal with to do an experiment like this.

Its like a Xbox 360 PSU for instance, unplugged and off for a while its still extremely dangerous to toy around with. There are parts inside of it, like inside the Tesla Coil, that store enough electricity to kill you.
Detox. Sorry for leaking your RTH. Everyone else, Dont mess with these ppl.... x_x
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

I don't know. I mean Have you ever heard that to see if a 9v battery is still good, lick it? Well I've done it, it only stings the area of contact for a second. I mean 24 would probalt hurt, but I don't think its any where near enough to kill you.
Yamagushi

Post by Yamagushi »

Grimdoomer wrote:I don't know. I mean Have you ever heard that to see if a 9v battery is still good, lick it? Well I've done it, it only stings the area of contact for a second. I mean 24 would probalt hurt, but I don't think its any where near enough to kill you.
12v 9v or even 5v can kill you. Theres more than one measurment to electricity such as Amps. Volts does not in any way determine whether its strong enough to hurt you or not. In the case of a battery, It has very little amps.
Gary

Post by Gary »

you have to think, a 1.5V battery can not kill you, it does not have even close to enough amps to even hurt you.
And a tesla coil needs high voltage, but just because something is 1000+ volts, doesn't mean it can kill you, or a static charge that you can create easily(like on a plastic slide) could kill you.

something 1000 volts and 0.01 amps could not kill you.
now say if it was 1000 volts and 0.5 amps it could stun/hurt you badly.
now if its was 1000 volts and 1+ amps , your dead.
Yamagushi

Post by Yamagushi »

gjsdeath wrote:you have to think, a 1.5V battery can not kill you, it does not have even close to enough amps to even hurt you.
And a tesla coil needs high voltage, but just because something is 1000+ volts, doesn't mean it can kill you, or a static charge that you can create easily(like on a plastic slide) could kill you.

something 1000 volts and 0.01 amps could not kill you.
now say if it was 1000 volts and 0.5 amps it could stun/hurt you badly.
now if its was 1000 volts and 1+ amps , your dead.

Correct, however a tesla coil would need a lot of amps, hence how it can send electricity "wirelessly" it isnt that its sending the electricity, its that theres so much electricity it reaches for whatever is closest to it that is grounded.
ultama121

Post by ultama121 »

CnC Red Alert anyone? :mrgreen:
Gary

Post by Gary »

Yamagushi wrote: Correct, however a tesla coil would need a lot of amps, hence how it can send electricity "wirelessly" it isnt that its sending the electricity, its that theres so much electricity it reaches for whatever is closest to it that is grounded.
voltage is what makes it send electricity "wirelessly", how does static electricity "wirelessly" shocks you? and yet, not kill you?

A taser can run of a 9 volt battery after taking away amps to up the voltage,
depending on the taser, it can just hurt a hell of a lot or stun you for a short amount of time(Gun Tasers)

also, by 12 volt battery, i sure hope you don't mean a car battery, you don't want to screw with them... you short them, they blow up in your face, not a fire explosion, but an acid one...
Gary

Post by Gary »

oh wait, it will need a lot of amps, but it will not out put out a lot... if that's what you meant
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Well its not like im gunna lick it :p Im probaly gunna use a long pair of channel locks to put objects in its field of projection to see what happens :]
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

...Yamagushi, where exactly did you study electronics? A Tesla coil of any size can run on as low as two AA batteries, all it does is max out the voltage of an electrical source by reducing the rate of the current. Like a water hose nozzle, but even if you touch one with several car batteries hooked up the worst that can happen is any metal you are in contact with (ex:In your pocket) will heat up.
Reduced current = Low amps + Ridiculous Voltage.

...Unless I'm missing something here?
Zieon Eslador (1:23:09 AM): I haven't seen Watchmen, but I plan to eventually...
NotZachary (1:23:15 AM): it has nukes, random things happening, and retards screaming
NotZachary (1:23:19 AM): kinda like MW2
Gary

Post by Gary »

Zieon Eslador wrote:...Yamagushi, where exactly did you study electronics? A Tesla coil of any size can run on as low as two AA batteries, all it does is max out the voltage of an electrical source by reducing the rate of the current. Like a water hose nozzle, but even if you touch one with several car batteries hooked up the worst that can happen is any metal you are in contact with (ex:In your pocket) will heat up.
Reduced current = Low amps + Ridiculous Voltage.

...Unless I'm missing something here?
i doubt even the metal would heat up, but if you do cross a the leads on a car battery it will blow up(somewhat)
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Same happens with double AAs :]
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

gjsdeath wrote:i doubt even the metal would heat up, but if you do cross a the leads on a car battery it will blow up(somewhat)
It wouldn't blow up unless the leads were kept crossed.

Most cases of exploding car batteries where caused by the ark from the lead-crossing igniting the faint hydrogen gas clowd that forms around the battery when it is used.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"