Red Dawn

Ogrish

Red Dawn

Post by Ogrish »

Ok so i havnt actually modded in a long time, i have probably forgotten more then i learned, but this morning i woke from a dream of insperation.

I want to make a small town filled with houses, some will be closed, some will be open with open windows, and or upstairs outdoor balconies.

Uber chasis will be parked here, and there, in front of houses, some will be drivable. (Spartans only)

There will be a couple small gun stores in town, with Pistols, Shotguns, and Hunting Rifles.

This will be a team based map, Spartans will spawn in town with no weapons, they will have to drive or run to the gun stores.

Elites will spawn west of town in the hills, with a cache of Carbines, Needlers, and a covenant version of the Brute rifle.

There will be a free for all, and a flag type game where the covanant will try to take over the town, by planting there flag in the center of town.

If anyone wants to help, i could use some help on the modeling and layout of the two custom weapons, a few houses, and maybe some cars, I will provide the collision and phomo for the town, hills, and trees.
A good skinner would be useful too.

Your input on this idea is welcome :)
SikSemper

Re: Red Dawn

Post by SikSemper »

I freaking love the movie, and the idea. I can try to help you out but it's been a long time since I've done anything. I may try and get with DoorM4n on this one and and see if he would like to help as well.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

I tried to reply last night but my internet crashed! But here I am! :D

I have always appreciated the help I could get when I started a mod, and here is a good way for me to pay it forward. Count me in! I'd love to help. Also, any chance you could draw this out in paint or on a piece of paper? I want to see this mod happen but I don't want to see RAM overload--which lofty ideas can lead to. Also, I'm guessing you are going to use an existing BSP for the ground and hill. Which one?

Im also worried about how complex these buildings will be. Having the necessary collision blocs for a complex building and the rest of the map could create a small problem.

Also, we'll have to create a boundary for the players not to go passed a certain point. How do you think we can do this?

One more thing, we might consider modeling the complete map in 3ds max and then baking shadows from the buildings.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

The trees will probably use the most collision boxs, many of the closed houses will only need about 2 or 3.
The houses that are open will need more of coarse, the scenery inside will have to be minamal as not to lag the game.

Im still looking for the right sbsp for the mountains, although i have considered just using a flattend sbsp and doing all the collision by hand, this way i dont have the problems of a conversion, or all the uneeded resourses.
Im torn between making a great looking mod VS a great playing mod, its pretty hard to get both.

The town was going to have one main road coming in, and one going out leading into the mountains west of town.
East of the town the road coming in will be a bridge crossing a large ravine or river, This will mostly be scenery.

As for bounderies, around the town will be mountains on all sides, i have been tring to decide weather to make most too steep to climb in areas where we wont play, or to just create matte sceneries to look like mountains, and just use a couple large invisable collision boxs to make the boundaries.

A few years ago i modeled some mountains, added many trees and rocks, then skinned it to look snowy, i added them to a map, added weather, then took in game pics. I edited the in game pics, and used them to create layers of matte sceneries, and spawned them in a new map with weather, it looked pretty good.

I will mock up somthing later when i have time, to better illustrate my vision.

I still havnt come up with any designs for the covenant version of a bruteshot, i guess i could use the fuel rod instead.

Soft image crashes every time now, so ill have to use blender :/
SikSemper

Post by SikSemper »

I like to use Google Sketchup for mock ups! I'll start throwing some simple building designs together and maybe try some terrain and mountains later, most likely be using 3d's max for the terrain but we'll see.

I used 3d's max to import the masterchief.obj model and export it as a .3ds so sketchup accepts it and I used it for scale.
You'll have to click it to view the full thing.
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

Ive been thinking it might be alot less work to make this mod in Coag, It will save me alot of collision work.
I will have to abandon the ravine idea :/ and the layout will need to change.
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

Just a quick mock up of the small town and roads.