Script serialization

CaptainPoopface

Script serialization

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Is the serialization of scripts over system link any better understood now than it was a few years ago? I don't understand why the crates in Elongation and the AI in MPC can work, yet gravity scripts and arbiter camo do not. Actually, did anyone play alphagasgiant.bsp with MPC and verify if the cable room gravity script worked or the arbiter camo? Space station also has a gravity script when the chief goes extravehicular.

Those are the two scripts I would most be interested in for general MP, even just MP on SP maps. I don't think the chief's flashlight is used in the game, but there is at least script mention of it, and that would be cool to enable if possible too (same as camo script really).

I found a site where most of the Halo scripts are decompiled: minigun.org. Pretty cool. It gives me hope that scripting across the whole franchise is well understood.
kornman00

Re: Script serialization

Post by kornman00 »

Crates/AI (rather, the Units which they possess) would be using the game's object system which supports some basic serialization of the object state. However, gravity is part of the physics constants which don't have any associated synchronization code as I recall. Scripts themselves don't have any actual networking infrastructure, as the engine is deterministic and it is assumed that if all machines are at the same gametime (lockstep networking), then their HS threads will be in the same state.