Halo 2: The Pit

Post here images related to your Halo 2 mod project.

Keep going?

Yeeee, and do more.
76%
Yes.
19%
No. This could look terrible with blocs and Halo 2's lighting.
No votes
No. I wanna steal the glory.
5%

Total votes: 21

Gary

Re: Halo 2: The Pit

Post by Gary »

As extremely true as that is, it is a bit irrelevant.
activebomber

Post by activebomber »

Gjsdeath wrote:As extremely true as that is, it is a bit irrelevant.
Not as pointless as your post, because I DID SAY 'not trying to derail'.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

activebomber wrote:but I noticed penguins doing something similar on modacity for HCE. He appears to have Z-team assisting him, or at the least, Cntrl-Alt-Dstry.
That was addressed in the blog :|. As for Zteam's animation extractor, they kept it private because the public couldn't be trusted with it. The last thing H:CE needed was a ton of H2 remakes using ripped models and animations. The only part that they shouldn't have done was tell everyone about it and expect them to not complain.
activebomber

Post by activebomber »

NotZachary82 wrote:That was addressed in the blog :|.
Do you mean your blog or does Penguin have a blog for his map too?

I just was saying that its funny cntrl-alt-dsty is ripping shit from other games, but that was his point for NOT releasing the animation extractor. He's totally contradicting himself.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

I got back to textures today since I cannot for the life of me muster any interest in modeling. It will come around, but not now.

Since Dark left, that left me tutor-less with no way of learning how to create some nice textures in Photoshop. However, since I had nothing to do today (absolutely nothing), I searched up some tutorials, and learned a lot. This is the result of some edited Halo 2 bitmaps blended together with my brush strokes and my PSD. You may not notice my brush strokes though :XP:.

*Note that those indents aren't on the actual bitmap; this is just a showcase version including a representation of the bump/normal map. The injected version looks like this.

I'm sure the method used to create these textures would be frowned upon many artists, but I don't care. Nobody in Halo 2 should care, either. The result seemed nice :P.

Blue version.

Any recommended adjustments are more than welcome. They're demanded.
neodos

Post by neodos »

Again don't put highlights or shadows on your textures, the diffuse map doesn't give light information but just color information.

Here's my example, for the specular i have desaturated and adjusted levels, reduced a bit the black bevel too.

For the bumpmap i had 2 layers one of the texture to make the normal map and one of the bevel(the dark lines) then blended both with an overlay mode; I generated this normal map with the Nvidia plugins for photoshop, but then doing some redering test of the texture on a cube i figured out it wasn't a good idea to have the texte bumpmap, its better to just have the bevel lines as bumpmap, the specular map will do the job to give more "detail" on the texture.

This is just a quick example, from rendering test i have done, the actual difuse metal didn't have enough detail to get a good specular map, you better get a different diffuse metal texture and work on higher resolutions such as 2048x2048 then once you get all done resize to 512x512 when saving with the DDS plugin, you do get better results.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

neodos wrote:Again don't put highlights or shadows on your textures, the diffuse map doesn't give light information but just color information.
Neodos, I assume you haven't read the post but quickly glanced at the texture? I'm quite aware of that since you've already mentioned it <_<. I said that those bevels actually aren't even there. I added them because it's rather difficult to tell what the texture is even for :|. Please reread my post.
neodos wrote:Here's my example, for the specular i have desaturated and adjusted levels, reduced a bit the black bevel too.

For the bumpmap i had 2 layers one of the texture to make the normal map and one of the bevel(the dark lines) then blended both with an overlay mode; I generated this normal map with the Nvidia plugins for photoshop, but then doing some redering test of the texture on a cube i figured out it wasn't a good idea to have the texte bumpmap, its better to just have the bevel lines as bumpmap, the specular map will do the job to give more "detail" on the texture.

diffuse

specular

bump
I'm not sure as to why you would post this. I'm sure it's because you believe I don't know how materials work. I do. Diffuse is posted, normal map is done, specular is done. Thanks for concern, though.
neodos

Post by neodos »

lol didn't read that under the picture, my bad, i though you needed a texture tutor, you said that so :/
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

It's fine. I wouldn't mind a tutor, but I think I have most of it covered. Thanks.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

DP.
I'm such a nub UVMapper.
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

This one is better.

Zieon Eslador (1:23:09 AM): I haven't seen Watchmen, but I plan to eventually...
NotZachary (1:23:15 AM): it has nukes, random things happening, and retards screaming
NotZachary (1:23:19 AM): kinda like MW2
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

No it's not. The base isn't even UV'd in that pic.

Good job.
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

NotZachary82 wrote:No it's not. The base isn't even UV'd in that pic.

Good job.
But it looks cooler.
Zieon Eslador (1:23:09 AM): I haven't seen Watchmen, but I plan to eventually...
NotZachary (1:23:15 AM): it has nukes, random things happening, and retards screaming
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

O hai.

Let me explain to you all why the model I have previously been working with must be cast aside. Let's just say it's my fault, and the way BSPs are designed. Halo geometry must follow a rule known as "the sealed rules of Halo", where the whole mesh must be connected together, creating a single element. One element only, not over a hundred that my previous model had <_<. The model is then broken up into shader groups, etc. etc.

I was NOT going to fix the old model. There is so much relinking to do it's hilarious, and the scale is ridiculous.

So,with that said, I'm starting over. Yeshsir. The mesh is scaled to MC's size, it is centered along the X and Y axis, and is one element :P. Now that I know of the incredibility that is Edit Poly, I should finish sooner than before. If I'm not done by Christmas, just kill me.

New pics

Wacky wireframe.

Tri count is 436.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

Not really true. The meshes are still broken apart just for the purpose of assigning shaders. The sbsp meshes only look like one solid object while they actually have several hundred submeshes.

Though they do model it as one object to begin with, they'll just break it apart to prepare for shader assignment.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

I know :|. I thought I put that.

Oh, I see. I just worded it in an odd manner.
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

This is why I ProDesktop.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

DemonicSandwich wrote:Not really true. The meshes are still broken apart just for the purpose of assigning shaders. The sbsp meshes only look like one solid object while they actually have several hundred submeshes.

Though they do model it as one object to begin with, they'll just break it apart to prepare for shader assignment.
This is incorrect. It is broken into pieces because of collision. See, halo uses a BSP tree for collision. A BSP tree is formed by taking one solid mesh, finding a middle point, and using this middle point to devide the mesh into two nodes. Node A, and node B. You then take node A, and apply the same process. You now have Node A, with child nodes: C and D, as well as node B. The process is applied many times until you have many smaller nodes. You then form a bounding box that is normally only a vert above each node's mesh. You take all the bounding boxes and save them some where. This is used for collision detection. So instead of checking the entire mesh for collision, you simple check the node that is relative to the player's position, and moving objects.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Neither of us where wrong. <_< They did it for both reasons. I was just explaining the textures side of it.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Grimdoomer wrote: This is incorrect. It is broken into pieces because of collision. See, halo uses a BSP tree for collision. A BSP tree is formed by taking one solid mesh, finding a middle point, and using this middle point to devide the mesh into two nodes. Node A, and node B. You then take node A, and apply the same process. You now have Node A, with child nodes: C and D, as well as node B. The process is applied many times until you have many smaller nodes. You then form a bounding box that is normally only a vert above each node's mesh. You take all the bounding boxes and save them some where. This is used for collision detection. So instead of checking the entire mesh for collision, you simple check the node that is relative to the player's position, and moving objects.
hmm... although what you say is correct, someone not understanding BSP trees at all may look at our example and see that one mesh is not broken into A & B, but te whole mesh A is broken into sub-parts B & C.
Just in case anyone interested in Trees was confused...
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

NotZachary82 wrote:Let me explain to you all why the model I have previously been working with must be cast aside. Let's just say it's my fault, and the way BSPs are designed. Halo geometry must follow a rule known as "the sealed rules of Halo", where the whole mesh must be connected together, creating a single element. One element only, not over a hundred that my previous model had . The model is then broken up into shader groups, etc. etc.
Not entirely true. The revamped !blam engine used in Halo 2 development, added the ability to create objects that are part of the bsp, but didn't have to be sealed, or "stiched" to the world. That is instanced geometry. Although I am not sure how the collision detection system for instanced geometry is used. It may be handled the same way. Also, even if we do uncover custom bsp usage, without the developers tools, how would we be able to take advantage of instanced geometry as well as static objects, and invisible objects that are used during lightmapping, to make certain areas naturally darker, without lightmap tag editing? Dont get me wrong, I wouldn't mind playing your pit map, but I can't see how advanced the custom maps would be if we are only limited to actual "sealed" geometry. Thats part of the reason I am considering continuing my map modding into H2Vista. At this point, I would be more satisfied with releasing new playrounds, not animations and such.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Twinreaper wrote:
NotZachary82 wrote:Let me explain to you all why the model I have previously been working with must be cast aside. Let's just say it's my fault, and the way BSPs are designed. Halo geometry must follow a rule known as "the sealed rules of Halo", where the whole mesh must be connected together, creating a single element. One element only, not over a hundred that my previous model had . The model is then broken up into shader groups, etc. etc.
Not entirely true. The revamped !blam engine used in Halo 2 development, added the ability to create objects that are part of the bsp, but didn't have to be sealed, or "stiched" to the world. That is instanced geometry. Although I am not sure how the collision detection system for instanced geometry is used. It may be handled the same way. Also, even if we do uncover custom bsp usage, without the developers tools, how would we be able to take advantage of instanced geometry as well as static objects, and invisible objects that are used during lightmapping, to make certain areas naturally darker, without lightmap tag editing? Dont get me wrong, I wouldn't mind playing your pit map, but I can't see how advanced the custom maps would be if we are only limited to actual "sealed" geometry. Thats part of the reason I am considering continuing my map modding into H2Vista. At this point, I would be more satisfied with releasing new playrounds, not animations and such.
Instance Geometry just tells the game to Draw Chunk # x, at position y, with rotation z. The collision for that chunk is found in the bsp tree.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Om nom nom nom. I cleans topic noa k? k.

Anyway, none of that bullshit, the points about sbsp have been made already.

Also, activebomber you're RC'd for now because I don't wanna hear your excuse, next time you post flamebate I ban you.
neodos

Post by neodos »

No points have been made about bsp because no one did custom sbsp.

Anyway this is taking forever...