How to use WinRAR

Dragonfire

How to use WinRAR

Post by Dragonfire »

Yes! I am posting this for various reasons. Most of which i have been asked countless times how to extract winrar libraries.

Step 1:

Download WinRAR

Step 2:

Install WinRAR

Ok, so now this is where you get the part about using it...

Creating Archives:
(Right-Click a file or set of files to get this menu)

-> Add to archive - Brings up a window and allows you to make more decision on how you want the files compressed.
-> Add to (name).rar - This will immediately start to create one archive from the deafult settings.
-> Compress and email - This is the same as Add to Archive, only it brings up an Email client afterwards.
-> Compress to (name).rar and email - This is the same as Add to (name).rar, only it brings up an email client afterwards.

Archive name - is what you want to name it. (Make sure to include the .rar or.zip depending on the format you are using)
Compression Method - Determines how fast you want it done or the quality of the compression.
Split to volumes, bytes - This is how WinRAR Libraries are created. (Will explain later on)

Extracting Archives:

-> Extract Files - Brings up a window and asks how you want to extract the files.
-> Extract Here - Extracts the files from the archive(s) into your current location.
-> Extract to (folder name) - Extracts the files to a folder usually named after to archive name.

Destination Path - Where do you want the files to be extracted to? (You can also create a folder from here by going to a location and then inputing the folder name after the path)

WinRAR Libraries - Archiving

WinRAR Libraries (WL) are very useful for dividing up a single file into multiple ones for easier timely transfers. In the "Split to volumes,bytes" there are a few options there you can select but you may also input your own volume size, say "5120" for 5KB or "5120000" for 5MB, it then will compress your files into seperate files all the size of your specified number or less. (Usually the last archive is the lesser one have it being the rest of the file)

WinRAR Libraries - Extracting (This is where i get the most questions)

This is a very easy process to start off with, don't make it harder than it is. When extracting WLs, select ONE of the rar archives, doesn't matter which one it is. You will then get your extraction selections discussed previously. Once you have chosen your extraction method, let it extract. Once done, YOU'RE DONE! That's it! The cool part about these libraries is they extract like how they were compressed in the first place, extracting one after the other, like how they created one after another. You don't have to extract them all individually because they are linked together meaning, once one archive is extracted, it goes to the next automatically. No need to extract anymore.

Well i hope this will help some ppl, i do know i will be using it very much when asked about WinRAR and WinRAR Libraries.

Any questions, plz ask ;)

Cheers! :p
Remnant Samurai

Re: How to use WinRAR

Post by Remnant Samurai »

uhh wrong section dude anyways good tut many ppl dont know what to do
[TT]

Post by [TT] »

RaZoR73 wrote:uhh wrong section dude anyways good tut many ppl dont know what to do
What are you talking about wrong place, ppl use winrar for everything.
[Contact Me]
[color=#008000]Grimdoomer[/color] wrote: Firts we need to have a purpose for this app
Remnant Samurai

Post by Remnant Samurai »

its under halo 2 xbox it should be under:
Board index » Remnant Mods » Software Development » Tutorials

correct me if im wrong
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

this has nothing to do directly with halo 2 or software dev...it doesnt actually have a suitable section atm...
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

eh, once the admins figure out where it goes, they will move it, im just always in this section, so i posted it here ;)