Getting Audio from HDMI

Click16

Getting Audio from HDMI

Post by Click16 »

Hey everyone. I got my Xbox Slim for Xmas, and I like that it has a HDMI out for high definition video and audio. The problem is that the only thing that I own that can output a high resolution is my computer monitor. I own a HDMI to DVI converter so I can use my new widescreen computer monitor for my xbox video. It looks really nice in HD, but the problem lies with the fact that DVI doesn't utilize audio data, so there is no way I can play sound through my computer speakers, I have played halo reach like this since I started playing and it hasn't become a problem. I just wanted to know if there is a way I can get the audio out from my HDMI to DVI converter. thanks.
Gary

Re: Getting Audio from HDMI

Post by Gary »

I have yet to find a device that does so cheaply, most are quite expensive.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

No audio comes out of the analog ports when HDMI is enabled?
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

xxpenguinxx wrote:No audio comes out of the analog ports when HDMI is enabled?
Well the 360 connector has a sort of "shield" or notch to keep the HDMI and Analog from being plugged in at same time. Let me show you.

Image waiting cuz I dont have a USB cable for it lol.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

I just bought this cable (which has bad ghosting but cheap):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

Then just pull the plastic cover off the xbox end so and plug it in along with the HDMI cable. Analog audio still works fine with HDMI plugged in, just need the casing out of the way. You could do it with your original M$ cable, but the above is nice and cheap and the casing isn't moulded on.

I actually cut a section out of my casing and bought a 90 degree (http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2) adapter as I get anal about messy looking plugs.