RAM Drives

xxpenguinxx

RAM Drives

Post by xxpenguinxx »

So I looked into Ram Drives and I found this free software that works with most versions of windows xp and up. I set up a 2GB drive and I ran some tests with it:

Application: http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html#ImDisk

I am using 6GB DDR2 800 Ram CL5. My processor is an Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.6GHz Those who have a faster processor and ram may see a major difference in performance using a Ram disk.

Maps and applications are loaded from the C drive. The tags are saved to the Ram Drive.

H2Core decompile:
  • Lockout: 17 Seconds.
    Oldmombasa: 31 Seconds.
PC Wizard 2010:
  • Sequential Writing : 507.46 MB/s (Cpu usage : 0%)
    Sequential Read : 1650.54 MB/s (Cpu usage : 8%)
    Buffered Writing : 1939.3 MB/s (Cpu usage : 6%)
    Buffered Reading : 1957.77 MB/s
    Random Reading : 345 MB/s
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
Gary

Re: RAM Drives

Post by Gary »

How long does it take to decompile without any use of the RAM disk?

I only have 3.8 Gigs of DDR2 RAM, so I only have a 1.5 Gig RAM Disk.

Edit:

I also have mine set up to save the RAM disk to the HDD and to load it back up automatically. Does the one you use do that?
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

I have to run a script to load it like that.

I can't seem to find software that loads the ramdisk with windows so I can set it as my paging file.

For the decompiling rates, multiplayer maps usually take 30 to 50 seconds, and single player are about a minute & half without the use of the ram disk.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Shock120 wrote:interesting, I may use this.
so I can specify any amount of memory to be used as a virtual disk =D
Sure can, just remember to leave some left over for use as real RAM. As in, if you got 4GB of RAM, then it's not wise to make 4GB of it a RAM Drive.