Computer Talk

xxpenguinxx

Re: Computer Talk

Post by xxpenguinxx »

I need a new power supply. Right now I have to disconnect a few drives just so my CPU and Graphics card have enough power.

- It needs 500W minimum power (I would prefer over 550W just in case.)
- 40A total amps (need at least 18A per rail and I may add additional drives.)
- Two PCIe 6pin connectors.
- I prefer modular but it's not that important.
- I'm trying to keep the price under $100 but it's hard to find a decent rated PSU with these specs.

I was thinking about this one but the price is a bit high to be putting on a credit card (I wish newegg had a retail store near by):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817341017

I saw this one on bestbuy's website but BFG doesn't have the GX version listed on their site and I'm not about to run up to bestbuy just to read the box:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8045945842
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

Try this....

http://www.microcenter.com/search/searc ... egory=HB5F

I usually do all my shopping at the microcenter pc store here in PA, but there online store has some good deals.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

I removed my graphics card temporarily until I can I get a more powerful power supply, the onboard graphics work pretty dam well. Just to show how much power was being drained, the front LED's got brighter and my harddrive reads faster.

I would love to have this case:
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

:shock: That is sweet :D
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

I think I'll get this power supply: SIGMA MONSTER SP750C

Its a bit more then I wanted to spend but it's 750W with 20A on each of the four 12v rails.
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

xxpenguinxx wrote:- It needs 500W minimum power (I would prefer over 550W just in case.)
Get the PC Power & Cooling 610w from Newegg ;)
xxpenguinxx wrote:- 40A total amps (need at least 18A per rail and I may add additional drives.)
Most PSU's nowdays around or above that rating have 65 or 80A rails (Get a single rail)
xxpenguinxx wrote:- Two PCIe 6pin connectors.
Usually they come with 2x PCIe 6pin or 2x PCIe 6+2 pin (which is what i have)
xxpenguinxx wrote:- I prefer modular but it's not that important.
Depends, Mid-Tower = Modular, Full-Tower = Non-modular, just my opinion ;)
xxpenguinxx wrote:- I'm trying to keep the price under $100 but it's hard to find a decent rated PSU with these specs.
Instant Discount and Free Shipping maybe? :D

Suggestions...

Corsair 650w - $100 free ship

PCP&C 610w - $100

I would personally grab that Corsair i listed, its 650w which is plenty, single rail, which is best, and its 60 BUCKS OFF WITH FREE SHIPPING!!!! :shock: :shock:
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

Guys, DO NOT use Newegg. My dad's friend got ripped off from that site. Instead use http://www.ecost.com/.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

I've ordered a bunch of things from newegg without any issues, I know a few friends who ordered from them and they haven't had any issues either.

I got this one: Antec EA650
It has three +12v rails. Two of the rails are 22A and the third is 25A. I got it at a store rather then online so it was a few dollars more. It seems to be running good, my hard drive that I thought was dieing hasn't shut down yet and the front LED's didn't dim.
Last edited by xxpenguinxx on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

Eaton wrote:Guys, DO NOT use Newegg. My dad's friend got ripped off from that site.
I bought a few parts from Newegg. I've got nothing but praise for them...
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

Eaton wrote:Guys, DO NOT use Newegg. My dad's friend got ripped off from that site. Instead use http://www.ecost.com/.
I bought my entire computer setup ($1500) from Newegg!!! :p
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

Just warning you guys. Sure it may not happen the first few times, but you never know.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

I know other people that have ordered off of newegg also, who did not get ripped off. Maybe your dad's friend just had a random bad experience.
socrates

Post by socrates »

i too have ordered from newegg and have not had any issues, lol went from 256mb to 512mb of RAM XD
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

Click16

Post by Click16 »

wow.
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

Ummm, would it make more sense to compare some simliar motherboards then trying to compare a motherboards with 4 ram slots, 3 video card slots, a shitload of space to something that has barely enough room for the processor and maybe onboard ram by the looks ;) Oh, maybe at least compare a laptop mobo to the netbook mobo ;)
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

They did that because anyone looking at that board would know what a normal size mother board looks like.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I got 4 gigs (only 3 or so of which XP recognizes :evil: ) 512mb video, 3.0ghz dual core, and 750W power supply. You know, just in-case the next video card requires a shit load of power :P. I believe that covers the most discussed peices :D
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

I couldn't get my PC8500 RAM to run at that speed using 2 x 2gb, I removed the one stick and now I can run it at that speed plus lower the timings.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

OWNED NEW ROUTER
Gary

Post by Gary »

xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

Click, I really could of used that fast of an upload the other day...
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

:scared:

NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

No.
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

The depression I would fall into while calculating my own connection, just wouldn't be worth it.