Computer Talk

xxpenguinxx

Re: Computer Talk

Post by xxpenguinxx »

Maybe you should try using just the two new ram sticks and see how your system runs. By the way how much ram did you have to start with?
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

I'm looking for a decent workstation graphics card that can view and edit a 2 million poly model in wire frame view without having any lag. Any suggestions?

I would get something like this but lets just say my whole computer atm did even cost that much...
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
socrates

Post by socrates »

I don't know about 2 Mil. but my graphics card handles 400 grand easily.. viewports in misfit lag but the 3d view does not (I think its just misfit) did bother trying in 3ds but I got mine for $75 Nvidea GeForce 9500 and its even cheaper now..
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

250fps in W@W, holy shit! :shock:

I wonder if thats in at least 1650x1080 res... :hmm2:

Though i paid about $150 for mine...
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

I wonder, if I just upgrade to 64bit XP and install the other 4BG of ram, maybe that would work since 3ds was using 1.4GB of the 2GB I have, and vista uses at least 600 to 800MB when it first starts up...
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

xxpenguinxx wrote:I wonder, if I just upgrade to 64bit XP and install the other 4BG of ram, maybe that would work since 3ds was using 1.4GB of the 2GB I have, and vista uses at least 600 to 800MB when it first starts up...
4GB is pretty cheap nowdays, running maybe $75-150 depending on what u want, i got the OCZ Platinum :P
Click16

Post by Click16 »

I'm at my cousins house. 512 mb of RAM and 1.257GHZ Single core processor. Atleast he has good internet.

:XD:
Gary

Post by Gary »

Anyone know of a good type of video card and a place to get it?

I have been wanting to upgrade I plan on getting a video card and RAM.

Maybe the one DF uses, he seems to run games pretty well with it.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

http://www.newegg.com/

For a Nvidia graphics card I would suggest getting a 9600GT or higher. As for ATI I'm not as familiar with but I have the same card as dragonfire, it performs well but I had some issues with the Control panel that is made for it. But if you just install the driver only it should work just right.
Gary

Post by Gary »

I want to make sure what ever I get, that it is future-proof, so I won't have to keep replacing it.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/gr ... rds,1.html

Go there and compare the various graphics cards and see what is worth to get and what is just a waste of money.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Seems the Nvidia Geforce GTX 295 is pretty good, though in Tom Clancy's Endwar at 1680x1050, 4AA, 8AF and on High Quality, it only runs at 30FPS, but I think it might be capped at 30, as no other card is higher their ether less or the same.

-Edit-

Whoa, it's around $460, its a bit much, anyone know if there's a place to get it cheaper, right now I am looking...
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

These are cards I would purchase:
Nvidia 9600GT - $90
Nvidia 9800GTX+ - $130
ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512MB) - $110; 1GB - $120~
ATI Radeon HD 4870 - $145 (POWER HUNGRY, nom nom nom)

What's your power supply rating? When I first got my 4870 it was drawing so much power that my one of my hard drives would shut down completely. I had a 480W power supply that only had 14a on each 12v rail, and you need at least 18a...
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

xxpenguinxx wrote:These are cards I would purchase:
Nvidia 9600GT - $90
Nvidia 9800GTX+ - $130

What's your power supply rating? When I first got my 4870 it was drawing so much power that my one of my hard drives would shut down completely. I had a 480W power supply that only had 14a on each 12v rail, and you need at least 18a...
On any pc these days, u will want to use a single railed PSU, mine is a 60a single rail (i think, idk, its the Corsair 750TX). That card may be power hungry, but it delivers amazing graphics at a decent price :D
Click16

Post by Click16 »

eh... .. .... wtf?
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

Speedtest.net is soo fail at measuring shit.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

I always test at Speakeasy. They have multiple locations that you can choose to test from, and they're actually some of the locations available on the speedtest.net test.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

Download Speed: 14304 kbps (1788 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1818 kbps (227.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

At least my isp does do give a higher upload speed then the package says you're suppose to have (1500kbps)
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

What do you guys think I should do? I want to start building a computer pretty soon. I have a netbook right now that I use for school, but I want to build a computer that will obviously be much more powerful than that. I will probably end up buying the parts at different times, so I'm not really sure what I should start with. I'm thinking about getting a nice monitor first, any suggestions on what I should get. I do know that I want all the stuff I can keep the same while upgrading to be pretty nice(power supply and things of that nature). Just thought I'd ask for some other opinions. I used to know a lot more about hardware than software, but that completely flip flopped. I could spend hours uppon hours to research this, but I'd rather have suggestions guide me and research less than that.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

Do you have a budget you must stay within?
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

I forgot to mention that. I don't really wanna spend like 2500 or anything. Probably won't be getting a top of the line core i7. I want my power supply to be pretty bad ass I think for future upgrades, so I don't have to bother with upgrading that. I will most likely be buying the parts here and there until I have a working computer, so it will really depend on how much money I have at the time I buy each part. I suppose I'd like to spend anywhere from 600 to 1500? Not set in stone though. Since I won't be buying it all at once though it really doesn't matter too much. To be honest I might put cheap stuff(processor, ram, mobo, gpu) in it to start and upgrade it down the road. I want a good case, doesn't necessarily mean expensive, just don't want to skimp on that. Right now I'm thinking about buying a monitor, because I could use that with my parent's computer right now, you guys think that's a good idea. I suppose I could spend around 200 on it(give or take). I was thinking at least 19 inch, probably 22, maybe even bigger if it's a good monitor for a good price. If you guys think I should start with something else let me know and why.
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

I made a big reply to someone else computer building thread over on rework3d... :?
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Did you type your reply for me over there? I'm just looking for suggestions on what to start off with while I'm buying parts 1 at a time. The desktop that I currently use is 6 years old, so the only thing that would really be worth upgrading would be the monitor. I'm just wondering if that would be a good idea to get first. Next I was thinking about buying a power supply and case, because I'm thinking the price on those won't come down as much, the longer I wait to buy cpu/gpu/mobo the more the prices will come down as they get older and new stuff comes out.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

I would start by building around your CPU and graphics card.
xxpenguinxx wrote:These are cards I would purchase:
Nvidia 9600GT - $90
Nvidia 9800GTX+ - $130
--------------------------
AMD Based:
-----------------------
Hard Drives:
  • Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB
    Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB

As for a case anything big and cheap would work unless you would like to get fancy. I prefer ATX Full tower cases so I don't feel like my hardware is crammed plus they provide a little better cooling. And if your switching harddrives around often it helps to have a case that's more open.

For a power supply I would look for something over 600W that way you can upgrade your system and not have to worry about not having enough power. That's assuming you're not doing SLI/Crossfire. This is the one I have: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W

Also make sure you don't forget about the keyboard, mouse, DVD drive, speakers, extra case fans and such.

You dont' have to order everything or anything from newegg if you don't want to, there are other sites as well.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Yeah I know of a couple other sites like tigerdirect and such, but I've always had good experiences with newegg so most likely will order from there. Unless I see something on woot.com that I decide I need. Thanks for your input, anyone else with suggestions would be appreciated, the more advice I get, the better.