Program GUI Thread

DoorM4n

Re: Program GUI Thread

Post by DoorM4n »

OMG nice man! I instantly recognized that tree!!
Remnant! We were the last stand.
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Hmmm, smells good. What will this program allow? Manipulating models in a map file without having to extract and reinject? Changing marker position and orientation graphically?
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Well my plan is for a BSP Viewer / Scenario Editor.
But in theory, it could easily be used for marker placements.
But it will not let you edit the model.
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Finally got around to finishing my custom form class. It allows a theme component. You can custom draw the borders and title bar using the theme's events.

Code: Select all

private void BlueTheme_PaintNonClientArea(object sender, Potential_Software.Potential_UI.Forms.CustomWindowNonClientPaintEventArgs e)
        {
            Rectangle Caption = new Rectangle(0,0,e.Bounds.Width, NonClientBorderSize + BlueTheme.CaptionSize);
            e.Graphics.Clear(MainColor);

using (Brush Gradient = new LinearGradientBrush(Caption, Color1, Color2, LinearGradientMode.Vertical))
            {
                e.Graphics.FillRectangle(Gradient, Caption);
            }
        }
private void BlueTheme_PaintTitleBar(object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
        {
            //Prepare Rectangles...
            RectangleF CaptionF = new RectangleF(
                (Bounds.Width - (NonClientBorderSize * 2)) - 110,
                BlueTheme.CaptionSize - 2);

Rectangle Caption = new Rectangle(
                -NonClientBorderSize, 
                -NonClientBorderSize, 
                Bounds.Width,
                NonClientBorderSize + BlueTheme.CaptionSize);

//Draw Title Bar Background
            using (Brush Gradient = new LinearGradientBrush(Caption, Color1, Color2, LinearGradientMode.Vertical))
            {
                e.Graphics.FillRectangle(Gradient, Caption);
            }

//Draw Icon?
            if(this.Icon != null)
                using (Icon ico = new Icon(this.Icon, new Size(16, 16)))
                {
                    e.Graphics.DrawIcon(ico, new Rectangle(0, 0, 16, 16));
                }

//Draw Title
            using (StringFormat Format = new StringFormat())
            {
                Format.Alignment = StringAlignment.Center;
                Format.LineAlignment = StringAlignment.Near;

e.Graphics.DrawString(this.Text, this.Font, Brushes.White, CaptionF, Format);
            }
        }
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

That's pretty cool Click.

I'm glad this place is still kicking out some neat little things.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

Click I think you have a custom form addiction.
It looks good but it's too windows 8ish for my taste.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

xxpenguinxx wrote:Click I think you have a custom form addiction.
Agreed, Click you have an addiction to the Microsoft UI Kool Aid
Click16

Post by Click16 »

OwnZ joO wrote:Agreed, Click you have an addiction to the Microsoft UI Kool Aid
Eh it could be worse. I just love the idea of manipulating the way Window's draws and handles windows. It's really fun and cool to learn how Windows works as a whole. It really is spectacular.
CaptainPoopface

Please kill the fake glare. I hate fake glare and wish it would die die die. Thank Apple for making it all the rage these last several years. I hope when people look back at the interfaces of today, the glare strikes them as bizarrely tacky, like bell bottom pants. :evil:
Click16

Post by Click16 »

CaptainPoopface wrote:Please kill the fake glare. I hate fake glare and wish it would die die die. Thank Apple for making it all the rage these last several years. I hope when people look back at the interfaces of today, the glare strikes them as bizarrely tacky, like bell bottom pants. :evil:
Wow! I love fake glare. :(
I'll make a special theme just for you CP. Link some images of GUI's you like. I'll make a CP theme! :D

EDIT: Decided to make a brown theme for you CP:

-Is not final (There are a few errors...)
CaptainPoopface

That's more like it! I don't mean to be hyperbolic; it's just that most interfaces look like a copy of a copy of Apple / iTrash , even though there should be much more variation and creativity.

I gave my visual studio a nice brown theme. I'll try to post a screen here. Backgrounds for all text fields are beige, not white. It's much easier on the eyes when you're talking many consecutive hours. Even with f.lux and brightness and contrast way down, white backgrounds are too much after long enough.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

I'm gonna tell you all the truth. I love designing GUI's and stuff alike. I have always been inspired by Apple's GUI. They all look nice, I might not like the product, but I absolutely love Apple's GUI. Their mobile devices aren't as good as their desktop GUIs, however. I will say now that I also like the way Windows Aero looks. It looks very nice, and "clean." There is something about Windows Aero's glass appearance that makes you feel like you're looking at a very nice and beautiful creation. Also, what is your guys' opinion on Applications that use animations (including animated windows.) An example of this would be something like a "pop" menu or some sort. It will just pop up from the top of the window or something and appear "jiggly." An example of this is how Google Chrome (or Mozilla Firefox) will drag down a "status bar" when something is failing, or a plugin is required. For Skype users, the default Skype notification popup starts as a small bar, and extends upwards showing the context of the notification. These small things are what make and break programs. If you can't make an attractive product, you can't get people to want to use your product. These principles apply to Web Design too. So let me hear it! PM me or post here I could care less either way.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

Click, what you describe as looking nice looks gimmicky and distracting in my eyes. I can't stand the look of Aero. The way firefox now pops up the status bar is just bad looking, it's not as bad looking in chrome but it's still distracting. As for skype, ew is all I can say about those popups.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Click16 wrote:These small things are what make and break programs. If you can't make an attractive product, you can't get people to want to use your product.
I agree that it is small things that can make or break a product, but I assure you most of it is not in the look. I agree that people will not want to use software if the user interface terrible, but there is more to a nice UI than fancy graphics - including consistency, efficiency, staying out of the way, among other things.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

OwnZ joO wrote:I agree that it is small things that can make or break a product, but I assure you most of it is not in the look. I agree that people will not want to use software if the user interface terrible, but there is more to a nice UI than fancy graphics - including consistency, efficiency, staying out of the way, among other things.
Of course, I agree with this. I am not trying to bloat a program with ridiculous things, I am just trying to add features that work well with the program's work-space. I am not making any sort of Halo 2 app with some crazy UI, I am going to be programming and doing other computer work as my future career. I just want to know what you all think. Take a look at some sample applications:

Take Google Chrome for instance. It has a very- very basic User Interface. It consists of a tab area, some navigation buttons, and a single menu button. It is very straight forward. Being a simple, easy-to-use application, you wouldn't expect to see too many flashy things. It is designed for a basic user.

Now if you go to a more advance program, take 3ds Max, it's user interface isn't flashy at all. Almost no animations, basic color scheme, almost a boring appearance. Tons of buttons / tool bars, but seeing as how it's a professional program, it could be expected to have so many buttons and such.

The large difference between these two programs is that Chrome is designed for any user. It is simplistic enough, and visually attractive to get people to use it. Now 3ds Max takes a bit of skill, and technical know-how to use. You need to learn as you use it. It doesn't quite need the fancy GUI because it being such a powerful program, visual cluster might slow it down, or even impede users from achieving their goals. I'll probably edit this later. I have to get going.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Began programming with layered windows too:
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Image New Nova with HTML Meta Editor
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Nova using Gtk# (and Mono) on Ubuntu (Just for fun!)
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

I see you have it running in ubuntu, are you using mono? Cool stuff man.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

OwnZ joO wrote:I see you have it running in ubuntu, are you using mono? Cool stuff man.
Yeah I'm using mono. I'm not like trying to make the "ultimate cross platform halo 2 modding app" that nobody's gonna use, but just making it as a test to work with other platforms and stuff. It's really fun.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Click16 wrote:
OwnZ joO wrote:I see you have it running in ubuntu, are you using mono? Cool stuff man.
Yeah I'm using mono. I'm not like trying to make the "ultimate cross platform halo 2 modding app" that nobody's gonna use, but just making it as a test to work with other platforms and stuff. It's really fun.
Lol I just realized you put exactly what you were using in a caption below the image.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Click16

Post by Click16 »

Finally a VS2012 Glow window! (All in WinForms, not WPF)
CaptainPoopface

Why win forms? Wave of the past. Looks polished though.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

What do you mean? Are you suggesting an alternative?