Bump Mapping regular Pictures

Click16

Bump Mapping regular Pictures

Post by Click16 »

Most of you know how to do this. I'm writing this in case other people want to know how to and because it can add cool effects to your images.

What you will need is most importantly, an image and Adobe Photoshop with the Normal Map Filter.

1. Have your image ready. and go to the normal map filter. I'm going to use the most simple object. A smiley face. (Its custom too!)
2. Make a new layer and paste the original image over it. Make sure you apply the Normal Map filter over the background one. not the new layer or you will get a weird looking piece of crap.
3. Now make the bump map image above the new layer that has your original image. Delete the Background layer.
Now your layers should be set up like this:

1.Bump map layer
2.Original Picture layer

4. Now in the bump map layer, go to Image > Adjustments > Black and White. Then a window will pop up. Change blue to as low as it goes and change everything else to as high as they go. Or just leave the settings the same. Depending on how you do it, it will change the outcome.
5. It should now look something similar to this:
6. Now mess with the Fill and Opacity until you get a nice blend.
Mine looks like this:
7. If you can't notice the bump, you have to make the bumps bigger by changing the height generation filter type and the scaling.

Pretty simple but cool looking. Next time you make an image and you think it needs bump, try this!

Prefer video tutorials? Click here < Video not available... yet
Eaton

Re: Bump Mapping regular Pictures

Post by Eaton »

Cool. :)
DoorM4n

Re: Bump Mapping regular Pictures

Post by DoorM4n »

Whoa, Awesome.
Remnant! We were the last stand.