Alternative Energy Sources

Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Alternative Energy Sources

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

What's this about?

Oil.
And Prices.

Ike just obliterated Galveston and a lot of other areas in Texas. Gas prices in the mentioned areas have spiked to $5 a gallon. That combined with the loss of their household possessions and other assets have probably left some families in a bad financial state.
The idea that we need an alternative form of transportation, or any alternative energy source is more significant than ever.

Any ideas or comments?
Gary

Re: Alternative Energy Sources

Post by Gary »

This lets me dis-prove people's ideas :D

I say Nuclear Power is the future! Safe, Powerful, Lasts for a long time, and is good for the Environment(Somewhat)

Wind? no, even if you put a wind mill on ever house, it would not be enough. (still, build more, its good for the power grid, just not enough to power the whole USA, or any other big place)

Solar? no, not yet, it cost to much and gives very little power back.

For transportation? i have no comment at this time, i haven't looked into it enough yet. (Nuclear Powered Cars ftw)
Also, some people thought if you put a form of wind mill on your car, the wind would help power it, NO, it takes more force to make it turn then it would put out.
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

gjsdeath wrote:This lets me dis-prove people's ideas :D

I say Nuclear Power is the future! Safe, Powerful, Lasts for a long time, and is good for the Environment(Somewhat)
If we relied on u for fuels, we'd all have radiation posioning, lol.
gjsdeath wrote:Wind? no, even if you put a wind mill on ever house, it would not be enough. (still, build more, its good for the power grid, just not enough to power the whole USA, or any other big place)
gjsdeath wrote:Also, some people thought if you put a form of wind mill on your car, the wind would help power it, NO, it takes more force to make it turn then it would put out.
Well, the funny thing is you can't prove it. I'm sure a car going 70MPH on the express way could generate plenty of power via dual turbine engine 8-)
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

gjsdeath wrote:Wind? no, even if you put a wind mill on ever house, it would not be enough. (still, build more, its good for the power grid, just not enough to power the whole USA, or any other big place)
Not true, Wind power releases allot of energy and can easily power several homes per mill. Only trouble with this tech is that you need it to placed in an area that is regularly windy.
gjsdeath wrote:Solar? no, not yet, it cost to much and gives very little power back.
That is half true. Solar energy does give back plenty of energy, with only about eight 3' by 6' panels on a roof can power the home and charge a battery supply durring the day and still have enough output to actually sell back to your power provider.
You are however correct about the cost. Solar panels do cost quite a bit and takes a while to pay for themselves.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

Yeah, small problem. Neither wind nor solar energy is practical for transportation. Well, unless every car gets a solar panel on the roof. Except we're in trouble if we need to drive at night. Lets hope we got some solar energy saved up, eh?

And I highly doubt that either solution would allow me to drive a few miles 60 mph on the highway without any complications or serious funding.

I once read an article about a man that converted his car to run on acetylene, which is pretty easily found. Due to the triple carbon bond, it's relatively unstable, and will explode violently if under any pressure greater than 1 atm.

1 atm = 101.3 kPa = 14.69 psi = approximately the normal pressure one feels when standing outside.
So if he gets in an accident, and the other car hits the gas tank(acetylene filled), BAM!!!
He's done. So it's not the best solution, but it's a good step.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Dragonfire wrote: If we relied on u for fuels, we'd all have radiation posioning, lol.
And your only get radiation poisoning if you live in the reactor... any way, just to be safe and keep people from bitching, they build these things out of town.
Dragonfire wrote: Well, the funny thing is you can't prove it. I'm sure a car going 70MPH on the express way could generate plenty of power via dual turbine engine 8-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics) Its called Drag... Read it, and your see why.

@ DS, i noted that wind mills are good, they just power all of us, even if they could power homes, what about office buildings? TV/Radio Stations, Gov Networks witch have to run 24/7, and as you said, wind powerful enough to move a wind mill is not everywhere.

same with solar, the BIGGEST solar plant in the world can only power a city... now even if we some how found room to build a few hundred, maybe it could power all of the houses ALONE, maybe.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Who said you have to choose one type of power source. Here in the Midwest where there's not a lot of trees to block the wind in the planes there's a good opportunity to use nuclear, solar, and wind power. The thing I've heard about wind power is that it gets more power than just the wind when it blows, because it continues to turn and most likely will not stop turning before the next gust of wind. Either way they all work to create electricity, which I'm not sure if that's going to be a good way to power a car just by itself. I read about a really simple kind of solar power on MSN a while back where they just basically use a 10 foot mirror type deal made out of tin foil or aluminum(I think it might have been a parabola shape) to focus the suns light into a beam. Basically if you pointed it at water it would evaporate and steam instantly, it even made wood sizzle. This could work in the same way as nuclear energy by producing a lot of steam to move a turbine, but have no real waste, and it's cheap and simple.
Gary

Post by Gary »

well, If you came up with the idea, most likely many people have as well,
that method doesn't sound to great, not saying its a bad idea, just, not what we need.

Try making a small scale ver at your house, it seems simple enough.
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

The funny thing is there are alot of alternatives not being used, or not used enough.
We can power homes and offices off water, have solars on the roof, and a wind mill in the back yard. Run more things off battery.
Use this on all builings, also use more recyled materials for all builing materials.
Plug our vehis in when at home or work.
Materials and recycling is our problem. We use way to much energy making the products we use, and the materials arent always environmentaly friendly. We creat so much more waste then we are able to recyle or even dispose of.

Just think, if all the structures damaged in texas were made completly of recylable materials,
how much less the clean up and rebuild would be.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

gjsdeath wrote:well, If you came up with the idea, most likely many people have as well,
that method doesn't sound to great, not saying its a bad idea, just, not what we need.

Try making a small scale ver at your house, it seems simple enough.
I didn't come up with it, I read about it on MSN.com... But if you know how nuclear power works(heating up water and turning it into steam which moves a turbine to create electricity) This might have some kind of potential for that, and it would be cheap and have an unlimited supply(during the day obviously, and you'd need enough water, but you could even use dirty water and produce distilled water while doing this if you wanted to I guess). I'm not sure that's how they were planning on using it, but if they could produce enough steam with it they could get power from it.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

There where two people, one in France and one in Britain, I believe. They both made cars that ran on nothing but air. These cars can also move heavy loads. Last I heard they where working on a model that could get you from New York to California in like 1 fill.

As for a permanent alternative energy source. I believe space is the only suitable place, unless we can emulate zero gravity for about 10 seconds.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

Space? How so?

And what would "no gravity for 10 seconds" have to do with a fuel source?
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

I think he's trying to say that once you get something moving in space it stays moving so you would only need to use a little bit of energy? There would still be friction if we could emulate zero gravity, granted not as much and we could design more aerodynamic vehicles, but I don't think that solution is anywhere close.
socrates

Post by socrates »

if its friction your talking bout its not zero gravity that needs to be simulated...its no air...air resistance is what causes drag and thus slows an object excessively (other than friction from the ground).
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

I just wrote this essay for college admissions, as a matter of fact...

Pretty similar :D

“Go Green”

The “Go Green” concept grants the wishes of those whom sense the world is walking the wooden plank of existence into shark infested waters. Providing a figurative net for the prospective fish-food, Austinites have submerged themselves in the green trend, ranking Austin, Texas among one of the most environmentally savvy cities in the nation! Naively rationalizing is typical for Americans: “Whoop-tee-do! Recycling doesn’t do much anyway!” is the common thought, but not for citizens of Austin, Texas! Whether skepticism runs through your veins or not, each step toward recycling essentially lengthens the size of the notorious wooden plank that we robotically follow. As cliché as the old English proverb may be, “Teamwork is the key!” I would like to focus your attention not on the specific attributes incasing the beneficial “greener” world, however, but by explaining a couple bonuses received when conforming to this worldly trend—ultimately bolstering humanities legacy on Earth. “Going Green” remains an auxiliary trend providing the best adhesive man has realistically conjured up for adding length to our plank of existence.
Recycling youngsters hold the fate of the world in the palms of their hands. Separating between recyclables demonstrates how folks can, superficially,
“Go Green”; however, we highly recommend taking more steps from the end of the plank than just a few inches. Statistically speaking, an average American wastes 165 pounds of food per year! This ungodly amount of food, when dealt with appropriately, has the potential to catalyze plant growth through decomposition by forming a natural fertilizer called compost. Creating compost, according to scientists, is a phenomenal procedure toward keep your garden and yard as healthy as a horse. Simply isolate a petite section in your yard for workspace, pile up some dirt and dead leaves, and dump all natural leftover food products into a well-manufactured mound; after that, sit back, relax, and allow Mother Nature to do the work! BAM! In a few weeks, your mound of organic material will have virtually mutated into nutrient-filled compost! Feeling apathetic after pitching-out leftovers as mold creeps about will no longer be an issue in your house—ecstasy may dominate, in fact. The resultant can then be spread upon your landscape birthing a smile upon your face for, subconsciously, becoming aware that saving the planet is on your to-do list, and knowing that your botanical garden will be blooming shortly.
The benefits to engulfing yourself in the green trend have not even begun! Assuming the socialization of enjoying money engineered your mindset successfully; reassurance in the world’s future will extend to depths at which your brain’s comprehension will fail miserably after realizing the significance of technology on the green trend. Envision striding outside into a brand new day to fetch the morning mail; the sun shines through the sporadic lulls of the low-flying clouds, the birds sing a magnificent tune, and the trees sway to breeze defining the benevolent forces Mother Nature uses to appease the senses. After snatching the envelopes from the royal white mailbox, you notice the two most diabolical envelopes: your water and electricity bills! Shaking your fists maniacally into the air after shredding open to find outrageous charges, you dream of a day where prices will be inconceivably low and writing the colossal check is no longer necessary. That day can come now! The solution to the ponderous prices are attained simply by slapping a solar cell to your roof, fastening a wind generator at the peak of your house, and slipping in a solar water heater near your solar cell, instantaneously, transforming your money-guzzling, oil-dependent house into its own independent energy source! Voila! Your electricity will be shred to microscopic pieces—possibly hitting rock bottom; your water bill will invade the single digits and your green investments will pay for themselves within ten years! Not only that, but every state in America bestows hefty tax deductions, and individual corporations include enormous rebates as an incentive for virtually “Going Green”. Astonishing as it sounds, your most prized possession will be powered, essentially, on an unlimited energy source. Rack up the points by investing in green technologies to save hard-earned money for long-term, personal benefits.
The green age is upon us and we need to act fast before it is grows out-of-date, as most trends and a tendency to do. Younglings and geezers of organizations work together, endlessly, to promote the trend and the least we can do is put some paper in the responsible box. The gifts received from choosing the green side are perpetual when thoroughly investigated. Solar cells and windmills currently impost the most efficient lifestyle an American can live to retain the insignificant luxuries they adore, ultimately, maintaining the American mentality. Conforming to this trend adds feet to our plank of existence and promotes planetary longevity. Join the green trend as soon as possible in order to assist the many non-profit organizations that influence the idea of existence. Get up! Grab a can and recycle!
Remnant! We were the last stand.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Sorry doorman, i didn't get the time to read your HUGE post, i'll read it soon, just not now...

i had an idea of putting solar panels on the moon, it has sun light all the time, then we just beam the power down by a radio wave, i thought microwave, but it may cause problems... like if the beam hit a person... he would die pretty baldy... being killed from the inside out... ouch
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

gjsdeath wrote:Sorry doorman, i didn't get the time to read your HUGE post, i'll read it soon, just not now...

i had an idea of putting solar panels on the moon, it has sun light all the time, then we just beam the power down by a radio wave, i thought microwave, but it may cause problems... like if the beam hit a person... he would die pretty baldy... being killed from the inside out... ouch
OK first I'm not sure that micro waves can transmit power, the only way I would see that working is by turning water into steam like nuclear power does to turn a combine.

Also, I'm pretty sure that myth busters debunked the myth that you get cooked from the inside out.
Gary

Post by Gary »

OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

I stand corrected. But you would probably have to get international agreement to be able to do this, at least from countries that have the capability to go to the moon, considering that we don't own it. Obviously they could benefit from using it too, and if they are across the planet they could use it during our night time or something of that nature.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Well my idea, and the reason I said space, is because there is no friction in space. So if we could get a turbine to spin in a no friction zone, then we could spin it faster then the speed of light without it exploding. How much energy would that get :wink:
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

gjsdeath wrote:he would die pretty baldy
baldy, LOL, i just had to quote that. :lol:

Has anyone here seen the movie Maon of the Year starring Robin Williams, in the debate there, he mention like every fuel source thinkable......well he got close anyways...
Gary

Post by Gary »

Grimdoomer wrote:Well my idea, and the reason I said space, is because there is no friction in space. So if we could get a turbine to spin in a no friction zone, then we could spin it faster then the speed of light without it exploding. How much energy would that get :wink:
Yea, that could work good, but as i started earlier, how would you get the power back?
a long ass power cord?...
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Grimdoomer wrote:Well my idea, and the reason I said space, is because there is no friction in space. So if we could get a turbine to spin in a no friction zone, then we could spin it faster then the speed of light without it exploding. How much energy would that get
You're thinking of no atmosphere in space and thus no friction against travel in space. Friction can and always will still exist withing the inner workings of a machine. Such as it's barrings which would give out at those speeds and even if they did survive, the centrifugal forces would completely obliterate the device at a much lower speed.

And we have yet one more flaw, exactly what do you expect to spin the turbine? There is no substantial amount of matter in space to rotate the turbine not to mention the methods of getting that energy to the ground.

It is allot more successful if you ditch the turbine and use solar panels...which since there is no atmosphere in the way render huge power output.

Fact is is that regardless of what method you use to generate power it will always be victim to some level of friction regardless of how the power production is achieved or where it is located.

Even solar power comes victim to friction.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Grimdoomer wrote:Well my idea, and the reason I said space, is because there is no friction in space. So if we could get a turbine to spin in a no friction zone, then we could spin it faster then the speed of light without it exploding. How much energy would that get :wink:
The theory of relativity basically says that anything that has mass can't travel at the speed of light, at least from what I understand, so the whole faster than the speed of light thing probably isn't going to work. Why do you think friction is keeping us under the speed of light?

Also we need to find a good way to transport energy also. Most of what you pay for in the electricity bill is power that is lost getting to your house.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

infinitum wrote:Another problem with your statement is that light has mass. Theres no theory or principle behind it, except MAYBE asolar sail. There is a reason why light cannot escape the gravitational pull of a black hole. That reason is that light has mass.
Light does not have mass, it's a form of energy.
Another theory behind black holes sucking in light energy is that black holes pull in energy as well as mass.