The Official Rant Thread

Grimdoomer
Admin

Re: The Official Rant Thread

Post by Grimdoomer »

DoorM4n wrote:Dang, what's different about this semester?
I'm more or less a super senior in college. Going on my fourth year at a two year school. Every I knew has left, and I'm at the point where I'm older than the majority of the student body so I can't even go out for a drink with anyone because they aren't of age. I've been here way to long, and working at the college has brought about a love hate relationship with it. I really just want to move on to a four year school so I can meet new people that are actually my age and learn new things.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Most people take a few years to learn how to program. Then another few years to learn how to program within legacy code that may have many bad or just 'different' design decisions baked in. But they have documentation or colleagues to clarify. You have programmed within 'legacy' code, resorting to hex and decompiled assembly at times. I don't know what a degree would do for you at this point. Why not hit the job market now and be well paid for skills you can already demonstrate? Then you get paid to learn new things on the job.
Most of programming is either a) solve this open ended problem by creating something or b) fix/upgrade this thing that used to do X and now needs to do Y. You can already do both, with minimal Google-fu.

I'd say ditch college and go get the Benjamins.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

I'm diggin' Captain's response. You do have a really great skill set, actually. And I'm not just saying that.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

This whole idea that ISIS is going to invade through the US Mexican border in South Texas is interesting to me. I grew on the border in the most southern part of Texas and they are literally talking about my hometown. Im hoping it's safe still. My family is down there.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

I've been doing overhead door installation for about a month up until now with my dad and yesterday we quit. We both decided that we didn't make enough money doing it and we would look for work in the trade we excel at. So at the end of this week we start work with a company we worked for in the past finishing the wall-boards of an apartment building. Our plan is the work our asses off for the winter and get as much money saved as we can.

I see two roads I'd like to make ahead: one I stop working as soon as the lease is up in December on this house and take the rest of the year to snowboard while bumming it.

Another would be to work for 6-9 months and get as much cash as I possibly can saved up and move overseas.

Both appeal to me in different ways; but the second one even more so because I think a total change in surrounding could bring the paradigm shift I so desperately need.

Not really a rant; I just notice I have a ranting way of speaking so I post here usually I guess :)

*rabble rabble rabble*
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

I wonder if you could get the same sense of "total change of your surrounding" by moving somewhere in the states and save money. I think overseas would be cool, but there may be latent difficulties. just some thoughts
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

DoorM4n wrote:I wonder if you could get the same sense of "total change of your surrounding" by moving somewhere in the states and save money. I think overseas would be cool, but there may be latent difficulties. just some thoughts
He'd run into the language barrier thing then if he moved from Canada to the States. Especially Texas :lol:
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

troymac1ure wrote:
DoorM4n wrote:I wonder if you could get the same sense of "total change of your surrounding" by moving somewhere in the states and save money. I think overseas would be cool, but there may be latent difficulties. just some thoughts
He'd run into the language barrier thing then if he moved from Canada to the States. Especially Texas :lol:
HAHAHAHA, yeah, you might have a better chance learning Mandarin than learning the garbage english we speak in Texas.

This is a very real analysis of how A LOT of us speak. I grew up in the deep south so I didn't pick up the Texas drawl.
East Texans also use metaphors a lot--so half the time I'm having to decrypt phrases when I'm talking to them.
http://petermlopez.hubpages.com/hub/Tex ... exas-Speak

Cajuns in Louisiana take the cake on incomprehensible English.
CaptainPoopface

JacksonCougar wrote:I've been doing overhead door installation for about a month up until now with my dad and yesterday we quit.
I see two roads I'd like to make ahead: one I stop working as soon as the lease is up in December on this house and take the rest of the year to snowboard while bumming it.

Another would be to work for 6-9 months and get as much cash as I possibly can saved up and move overseas.

Both appeal to me in different ways; but the second one even more so because I think a total change in surrounding could bring the paradigm shift I so desperately need.

Not really a rant; I just notice I have a ranting way of speaking so I post here usually I guess :)

*rabble rabble rabble*
Why do you think moving somewhere far away would shift your paradigm? What was your experience living in Asia? I wonder if it would be a matter of "wherever you go, there you are." Unless you have bad influences there (old friends with bad habits, temptations you'd like to avoid), maybe the change has to happen on the inside (/Oprah's Deep Thought of the Day).

I would not recommend bumming it and goofing around. You will feel a creeping malaise and sadness as you pass time without moving in a direction you would like, even if you pass the time in fun ways. Try to find work that is purposeful, satisfying and meaningful to you, paid or otherwise. I believe men are at their best when they are working on something they enjoy.

Seek new relationships. If you have a premise that you are an oddball or other people are dumb or intimidating, jettison it (this, I'll concede, is much easier in a new environment with new people). If you have a hobby, try to meet other people who do it.

These are things that have worked for me. It seems common for people in their mid twenties to feel a numbness and sadness. That's when John Lennon wrote "Nowhere Man."
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

CPF has some wise, thoughtful words.

Just thought Id mention that the Scottish Independence looks to be a negative.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

The result was indeed a No, I'm rather disappointed, but hopefully we've done enough to encourage change...
Westminster has promised new powers for Scotland, but we've just have to wait and see what there are and if we get them...
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

CaptainPoopface wrote:Why not hit the job market now and be well paid for skills you can already demonstrate? Then you get paid to learn new things on the job.
Most of programming is either a) solve this open ended problem by creating something or b) fix/upgrade this thing that used to do X and now needs to do Y. You can already do both, with minimal Google-fu.

I'd say ditch college and go get the Benjamins.
This is definitely an option, but I would be careful if you do this. You may have trouble getting a good job, and by that I mean one where they pay you well and treat you right, and more importantly where you aren't stuck there because of lack of degree and no on the job training or valuable experience. In a job like this they would know they have you locked in so they wouldn't have to promote you or give you pay bumps really. I'm not saying you can't make it big without a degree, but it will close some doors for you, especially at the start of your career. For the record, my boss doesn't have his degree and he's doing good. It definitely has to do with how good you are and the opportunities you can land. Keep in mind that even if you have opportunities now, if you have a degree and could apply at and land more jobs than without, then everybody who actually wants you will have to pay you more to get you, because if you're in high demand with lots of options then you you have the power and can take the best one.

Anyway, to be honest, I think you could definitely make it without a degree, but consider the potential downsides of going without. I was extremely tired of school and wanted to just give up and start working full time, but I'm really glad that I didn't, I definitely would not be in the position I am now if I had done that.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

I've been meaning to reply to this but haven't gotten around to it. During the second week of this semester while I was starting to apply to Georgia Tech, I found out that in order to be applicable for transfer I needed to have taken calculus based Physics I and II. I've been taking the algebra based ones. So I quickly emailed the admissions office and they told me there was no way around it, even being a math major. I proceeded to drop the Physics II class I was in because my teacher sucked balls, so either way I would have to take it next semester.

The only way I could be applicable for transfer to Georgia Tech now is to talk to the dean of my current school and ask if I can take both the calculus based Physics I and II classes next semester, while taking the two highest level math courses as well. Even then I would not be able to attend Georgia Tech until fall of 2016. So I would be busting my ass pretty hard, not that I couldn't do it, because I've done it before, but I just don't know if I want to work that hard. It really sucks because I was so fucking close, and I overlooked one tiny detail (literally, it was fine print...) and I just don't know if it's worth the amount of work I need to still do to get there.

While this was going on my supervisor told me that a couple full time positions at the college opened up and that I should apply for one. So I submitted my resume and cover letter. HR has reviewed both and added me to the list of candidates, but we all believe they won't hire anyone that they know, and that they will get someone from outside to fill the position. I'm starting to look for work other places. I love my job but $12/hr part time is bullshit for the amount of work I do.

So my plan is this. If I get hired at my school then I will take the classes I need in order to get into Georgia Tech and give them at the least one year of me working, then I might look for another job. If I don't get hired I'm quitting as soon as I find another job which I've already begun to look for, and I will say fuck it to Georgia Tech, and possibly my math degree. I will most likely share an apartment with a friend in NYC and look for a job down there, work for a year or two, then finish my math degree and transfer to another school. I really just need to take a little time off, between going into my 4th year at the same 2-year community college and having worked there for 2 years, this school has taken one hell of a tole on me.

/rant
xXF3RcHoXx

Post by xXF3RcHoXx »

Not sure how I feel about this, but I have been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. Since I was a child, I always felt like I didn't fit anywhere, didn't had almost any friend, was repetitive and such, I had an evaluation some days ago and now everything makes sense: I perfectly fit the profile of a person with Asperger.
We are the last stand.
Aumman Anubis wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how a cat grooming defeats a failing economy.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

I don't know man. I could fit a few unkind casts myself. If you think you are this way learn to cope with it as best you can and don't ignore it.. but I think more importantly don't let it define you.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

I very much agree with not letting it define you, and understanding how it effects the way you think and how that may be different to other people. But its really not a big deal imo. My gf thinks I might have Asperger Syndrome and she might be right, either way I don't care, being diagnosed doesn't change who you are, I would give the same advise to anyone. Know yourself and try to understand others.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Comedians in the UK are infinitely better than those in the US. Xzodia, you guys have got it good lol
CaptainPoopface

I have observed a far higher incidence of Asperger's in the programming world, also technical fields generally, I surmise because they involve lengthy periods of intense concentration than more sociable types are suited for. The main thing is to take from it what is useful, for example if there are some known pitfalls or ways of dealing with the "familiar" things you go through.

In short, see it as an opportunity to gather data you can use to your favor. That's a more practical way to frame it than a diagnosis.
neodos

Post by neodos »

I too probably am in this case and maybe should get diagnosed, I just don't know if that would help at all and fear it would have a negative effect more than anything.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Looks like HaloMods has been deleted...
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

Noooo!
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Strange to not see it there. :shock:
neodos

Post by neodos »

You scared me for a second, its loading for me :)
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Yea, its back up, was down for a few days though
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

I lost a lot of backed up files, source code, IDBs, and an old backup of the remnant database I was going to rip a bunch of information out of from back before the forms got f'ed up. I'm doing a sector by sector search for them on the 1tb drive they were on. It's going to take a very, very long time...