The Official Rant Thread

Grimdoomer
Admin

Re: The Official Rant Thread

Post by Grimdoomer »

I also regret not keeping a change log on each source file.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

Yea, coming back to a project after a year is not my idea of fun
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

https://OpenMedia.org/SlowLane - stop fucking up my internet you damn Americans.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

Sending petitions and standing around are not going to change this, you have to use force and violence.

Don't blame us, I know Canada has had data caps implemented long before they started trying them out here.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Nah man, force and violence isn't the way to defend against a policy change. We aren't brutes! :) It's all about votes and political power. We need to get legislators behind this to vote against it.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

History says otherwise. I'm not saying it's right but it's the only way something truly gets done. This will turn into a war eventually.

What needs to happen to better the majority is to turn data into a public service rather than a bunch of private companies. Prices may not go down but at least there will be a standard to enforce.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

DoorM4n wrote:Nah man, force and violence isn't the way to defend against a policy change. We aren't brutes! :) It's all about votes and political power. We need to get legislators behind this to vote against it.
If money weren't so involved on every side of things I would agree, but with campaign contributions being unlimited the political power is gained through said contributions. The only way to change that is controlled by those in power because of those contributions...
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

I've got the modding itch...it's driving me crazy...
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

XZodia wrote:I've got the modding itch...it's driving me crazy...
OMG, man I can't believe you said this. I've been home for less than two weeks, and I have thought of nothing but modding. I think this could be diagnosed as a legitimate addiction. I've already been planning ways to do things via softmod. :x :oops:

And my forum traffic has increased 20x fold in the past 2 weeks.

I'm going back to school tomorrow, and I already have 2 xboxes coming with me. :|
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Doorman, I can tell you right now that the halomaps forum is no place to get help haha
Click16

Post by Click16 »

At first I thought it was a problem with my cookies or something, but I'm realizing on two of my devices (Both my PC and my Surface Tablet) I get logged out of this site several times a day. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried logging in using the Login page, the Username and Password fields at the top, and the bottom, and no matter what I do, I keep getting logged out. I don't know if this is a problem with the site, but I think it is. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear 'em.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Happened to me too
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

Many things broken with the site to be honest.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

NotZachary82 wrote:Doorman, I can tell you right now that the halomaps forum is no place to get help haha
hahaha... :|
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

Click what browser are you using? I'm using Firefox 28.0 and it rarely logs me out. I think it's every 60 days or so.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Its Chrome on my Desktop, and IE on my tablet. It logs both out all the time.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

I had an epiphany last night while I was modding some stuff for Halo 1. It wasn't a good epiphany for my Halo modding, but it was an epiphany that will benefit me overall. This is in the rant phase because the epiphany is bad for my Halo modding days.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

We all have been there. O man, I have all these great ideas and items and maps I could make. I just need to have a tool that lets me do... ah... hurmm. But maybe if I....

This is about when I remind myself that the sun is shining outside and go do something else.
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

What was the epiphany, just out of curiosity?
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

CaptainPoopface wrote:What was the epiphany, just out of curiosity?
It's pretty bleak, and I'd hate to negatively affect the way people look at modding--so unless one is really interested, I'd be happy to explain further in a private message. Ill give a brief answer here tho.

I'm in my early twenties still, and I have little free time these days...as a whole. Halo modding is a dying--if not dead--art form. We are the last of the Halo 2 modders. If I make a mod, only a handful of people will play it. I will have spent dozens of hours (maybe hundreds) trying to create something that only a few people will play. I am afraid that I will spend too much time behind my computer and xbox if I continue to fuel my modding urges.

There was more too it, but that is the essence. :roll:
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

^this.
That is why I dropped Entity a year ago. I do it more as a hobby getaway, but I let it take over too much.
xXF3RcHoXx

Post by xXF3RcHoXx »

Well, if Halo 2 Anniversary is moddable (like you can mod retail maps with the tools we have now) and people figure out a way to hack the console, maybe, maybe, modding would get a revival. I say, most people that came after our generation doesn't even know that between 2005 and 2009 a whole modding community was born and the peak that it got.

But if that doesn't happen, well we're still the 20 or-so remnants active modders, and a bunch of nubs over halomods too.
At least someone else besides me would play my mods, what would be sad is that no one plays it, but it haven't came to that point, thankfully.
We are the last stand.
Aumman Anubis wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how a cat grooming defeats a failing economy.
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

I had the same revelation myself a few years ago. For all the time I spent on a mod, it wasn't opening any doors for me, especially as many other important things began dominating my time. Ultimately, you just have to do it for your own satisfaction. It is hard indeed to get people to play this game anymore, but it feels good to get a mod going and do it "right" or reasonably close to right. A mod is like a work of art if you take it to that level. You have to make it to your liking first, and then hope others will like it too. Even if no one ever sees it, you know you made something good.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Wow DoorM4n, way to kill all modding discussion! :lol:
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

troymac1ure wrote:Wow DoorM4n, way to kill all modding discussion! :lol:
I know! My bad fellas. You know what though? Even though I made those remarks, Im about to release stuff for Halo modding. :P The guy who rants is the guy who does what he rants about: hypocrisy. :roll:

Im hoping what I release will spark some creativity. It should simplify making maps for yall--IMO.

EDIT: What makes me feel a tad better is that I was only saying what everyone has been thinking. :mrgreen: