Your avatar defines you: For you and for others.

JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Your avatar defines you: For you and for others.

Post by JacksonCougar »

Your avatar is part of your online 'self'. It defines how you post, and how others see that post.

Lets talk about the 3rd person perspective of avatars, aka: the reader.

When reading a post the eye will always look a the avatar to identify the poster: by doing this we also get other information from the avatar: especially if it has a 'face'. Generally, a smiling face will make us think that the poster is happy, or their comment is positive. However, if say; the poster has a cat that looks like it just stole your wallet and it thinks you will never figure out what it did then people might inadvertently think that you are smug or egotistic. Sad faces make people think your a mopey emo, ect, ect.

Text-only and icon avatars will generally not have much, if any, of an impact on the readers perspective of your posts.

Now lets think about the 1st person perspective, aka: you, the poster.

Your avatar will inadvertently creep into your posting characteristics if you are not careful and you avatar contains a "face". You are constantly seeing your own avatar when you read your posts and in a way your learning from the 3rd person perspective to match the 1st person perspective.

Supporting devices: if you are trying to support yourself, and your avatars 'personality', you should choose a signature that in some way or another either complements your avatar, or draws the attention to your avatar.

Examples would be making your avatar and signature image to 'match', or contain common themes, or images.

You should not repeat your avatar in your signature as this will simply take away form your avatars personality and presence.

Your signature should not be so 'loud' that it drowns out your avatar.
ie: bright, bold colours. Using the full image space.

Quotes! If you don't want images for your signature you should consider quotes or thoughts in your signature that reinforce the personality of your avatar.

Having a smiling old man: then quoting screamo bands, or some such thing may work for creating a personality but such a personality may not ring 'true' to the reader. Instead support the avatar with quotes from the past or some such thing like that.

Got something to add? Things you disagree with? Things you agreed with?
Post now!
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Re: Your avatar defines you: For you and for others.

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

I guess that I'm pretty badass, then.
Gary

Post by Gary »

so your not so smart if your avatar is a hob...

And my avatar is just MC with a broken arm...
Rockymods

Post by Rockymods »

This is what I use at a different forum. What would you think of it?

(it looks better in the forums black background)
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

I remember people by their avatar and then their Username, so it always annoys me when someone has the same avatar as someone else.

What is that Rocky? It looks pretty creepy, I am guessing from the thread you are a vampire? :? Cool looking though...
Zieon Eslador (1:23:09 AM): I haven't seen Watchmen, but I plan to eventually...
NotZachary (1:23:15 AM): it has nukes, random things happening, and retards screaming
NotZachary (1:23:19 AM): kinda like MW2
Rockymods

Post by Rockymods »

lol it's a zergling from starcraft 2
btw are you new? If so welcome!
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

You guys are kind of missing the point here too.

The basis of this is avatars with 'faces'. The attitudes, and expressions, of those 'faces' is what sets the tone for 'neutral' text.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

i agree with you jackson, not much more i have to say about it really
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

JacksonCougar wrote:You guys are kind of missing the point here too.

The basis of this is avatars with 'faces'. The attitudes, and expressions, of those 'faces' is what sets the tone for 'neutral' text.
Lol, I got the point entirely, I think of Users as the first face I see in their avatar which also lets me remember their average mood when posting. That is one of the reasons I use this avatar everywhere, reminds me of disinterest/lack of better word. Yes, I am new here, I came from Se7ens. A friend invited me.
Zieon Eslador (1:23:09 AM): I haven't seen Watchmen, but I plan to eventually...
NotZachary (1:23:15 AM): it has nukes, random things happening, and retards screaming
NotZachary (1:23:19 AM): kinda like MW2
Senor_Grunt

Post by Senor_Grunt »

What does that make me?
On a rotator.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

No face really :\

Sort of punk mb.
Senor_Grunt

Post by Senor_Grunt »

My avatar is a flying spartan. btw. 8-) Jackson, your avatar creeps the shit outta me. >_<
On a rotator.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Senor_Grunt wrote:My avatar is a flying spartan. btw. 8-) Jackson, your avatar creeps the shit outta me. >_<
K. So you are grenade happy and blow your self up all the time... We get it :roll:
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

JacksonCougar wrote:You guys are kind of missing the point here too.

So with your avatar, your angry. Which is contrary to who you actually are...someone who is usually too damn happy.

Me on the other hand, I hate highschool...nuf said.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

Thats the point: I am saying that it changes how people view you. It may not be true however. God damn if you don't get it then just keep on doing your thing <_<
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

You know, Jackson, maybe nobody really 'gets' this or feels like discussing it because nobody can take you seriously with that avatar you got.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Aumaan Anubis wrote:I guess that I'm pretty badass, then.
I don't recall. :XD:

I wonder what impression you guys get when you see my avatar!?

I completely agree, by the way; avatars are very significant when it comes to impressions. If you turned this into a philosophical conversation, I would totally add more to my theories and ideas on this subject. (Only because I have a fervor for philosophy) :D
Last edited by DoorM4n on Sat May 03, 2008 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

i think of an optimistic guy that looks like that in real life whenever i see DoorM4n's avatar. :cool:

but judging from your pictures, that's false. :p
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

NotZachary82 wrote: but judging from your pictures, that's false. :p
hahaha, what an ass... hahahah just kidding bud :XD:

Well, I may not be a "hoss" but I do have this incredibly optimistic mindset about everything, if you don't mind me tooting my own horn for a second. I generally keep a open mind and learn from any bad or uncomfortable situations. :P
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

Addition to this thread is welcome: especially from you Doorm4n.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

You asked for it. :XP:
Here are some thoughts that I spontaneously threw together in response to JacksonCougar's most recent post. Feel free to add, complain, or debate any thing I add here.

Your Avatar and Signature...
Basically, the avatar displays you more vividly than anything else you can post. The colors you use, the actions in your image, the facial structure, EVERYTHING! If you don't have any clue who a person is (personally) outside of http://www.remnantmods.com then you subconsciously connect the dots from anything and everything that person has posted on the forum.
Basic/Complex things such as:
-Proper Grammar, Slang, Diction, Syntax...
-The attitude in which the person replies (Is he: cheerful, angry, motivating, offensive, disrespectful, elitist)
-Perfectionism (signatures are neatly combed and look well made)
-Colors:
Red: Evil, hatred, rebellious
Black: Shy, demure, apathetic
Blue: Open, friendly, cheerful
Green: Lively, outgoing
Etc.

Everything you do affects the way people look at you, in reality and on the net.(yes, I do not consider the net to be reality :XD: ) When somebody new joins a forum and considers everyone to be foreign, it is best to treat them with a congenial attitude. If you are an arse to them, you immediately turn to their bad side and you will be locked in that cell until you can thoroughly redeem yourself with good deeds and an attitude shift.
Having a vibrant signature or avatar is also extremely necessary of a great impression. To me, having black signifies a desire to be completely secluded and kept their own business. That doesn't mean I will not treat you differently, it is just a general assumption that I make before knowing you. However, having green, gorgeous landscapes of a lake and a mountain will display a sense of welcoming and a pleasant presence.
Everything you do and respond to will describe you in some way. Overtime, people get a general "drift" of who you are and it will be more difficult to change that first impression. These ideas also work in reality in life, if you don't mind me adding. If you are going to meet somebody, put on a huge smile, be truthful, and act as if that person is your best friend; congeniality. Trust me, congeniality is great for first impressions. Also, a small tip is to respond and ALWAYS first envision the other guy about to read your post. How would he react to such a comment? If he reacts in a positive manner, then Great! If you think it will get him bummed down, throw in a positive trait and get his spirits up. However, always be truthful; lieing will only build a false sense and inconfidence in your overall appearance.

Now, as a final touch: be happy at all times; stay optimistic about good and bad situations; learn from all of your mistakes and others; observe more than you speak; don't be afraid to do something you aren't used to doing; love and respect everyone on first sight. :P

My avatar on a surfing forum Image

I think I got carried away here...However, you did ask for it! :XP: