Modding...Life...Reminiscence

DoorM4n

Modding...Life...Reminiscence

Post by DoorM4n »

Howdy!

This is in no way a farewell but instead a brief heads-up and an overall update of my current status. To be honest, I haven't modded/played Halo 1, 2 or, 3 in ages. Three years ago Halo 2 Modding was the "focal point" of my life and brought many amazing sensations that developed an entirely new perspective of life for me. Our computer generation (within a 10 yr margin) has seemed to understand and witness a lot of life phenomenons that our parents might have discovered much later in life compared to ourselves. Do you agree?
Let me explain.

Simple understandings in life such as (yes, I have included philosophical ken):
1.) When building something, it is very rare that we are able to imagine the final product precisely as we had envisioned.
2.) When you struggle in something you don't ignore the situation and move on, you use different tools to satisfy.
3.) If you want something to begin and finish, you must put all the effort necessary to accomplish this goal, for the aftereffect you are craving.
4.) The many unexplainable philosophies that modding has brought to us all that I have forgotten.

Where am I going with this, you ask?
I have this urge to simply say, "The community in which we have all participated in has guided us into a predictable future and has been a stimulant for the everlasting desire for success." Most of us have traveled down the path of "recognition" and understand the repercussions of completing an exhausting, yet entertaining task. Do you all agree that completing a mod that took "ages" to complete and receiving complementary criticism is an excellent feeling? Instantaneously, recognition is upon us, and it is very likely that our next mod will result in the same sensation. These sensations are the only suppliers of the desire to mod, for me at least.

I not only lack the essential time to mod but I have also lost the desire to mod completely. I have found a different path in life that is bringing me unbelievably great success that may lead to a promising future. I am telling all of you this, because this is to let you know that I have officially halted my modding "career". You guys have created a section of my life that I am very proud to have because of these phenomenons that I have described. I may have officially quit modding but I will still enjoy the other features of this forum and keep in touch with all of you. Thanks for sticking along with me on my Halo 2 journey, I am glad to have "met" all of you and will remember this section of life forever. Enough of my rambling, enjoy my message and stay optimistic about everything. :p
Last edited by DoorM4n on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Re: Modding...Life...Reminiscence

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

I have to say, that that was extremely well written.

I agree about how we realize life understandings much faster than the older generation did. For instance, I'm still waiting for my parents to realize some...

Your mods will be much missed.
Rockymods

Post by Rockymods »

But you will still come here and see our amazing mods and such right? Sad to see you go :( but life is a demanding bitch.. sometimes can be good though :D
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Yup, I'll still be around and post aimless thoughts that have a tendency to cause trouble. XP I just thought it would be appropriate to give everyone a "heads-up" on my plans so that people don't expect me to participate in modding as I used to.
JK-47

Post by JK-47 »

Very well put. There's no greater feeling than completing a huge project and getting good reviews on it. I was in quite a bad time where I had no motivation, no ideas, and not even the desire to mod at all. I got my Xbox modded, and Halo 2 opened that back up for me. Although, my personal life is extremely consuming. I don't get the time I'd like to put for modding, but I manage it. Sucks to see you out of the modding scene.
neodos

Post by neodos »

I agree and understand what you are feeling, sometimes modding takes too much time and place on personnal life and you just need to stop it, and spend more time with those you need to, i hope you'll stay around and you could come play some mods, sometimes on xlink ;)
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Ahh yes! If you guys need me to do anything that involves modding and I happen to have excess time, I will be more than happy to help. So, I have halted individual modding but I will stick around in the community and keep in touch with you guys.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Sad to see such a valued member go :cry: I think that modding will forever die. Not because of one person, but look how many people are leaving because of secrets and banishment. Today neodos was RCed. Halo 2 modding is exhausting its last life. So many people are leaving. It makes me think what I will do in my spare time when modding does die. Its like a part of my life now. But it has been turned sour by ignorant people who only mod for fame, they don't share info and keep secrets. That's what destroys communities and that's what remnant was made for. To expel the secrets. But sadly it looks like we may have failed. Me and neodos have been talking and every corner we turn there is more secrets. I miss the good old days, when you found something [in halo] the entire community would pass by it to look and help research it [the finding]. But now its just survival of the fittest. Thus said I think I might be retirering too. This is not my final decision but I am going to greatly consider it.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
JK-47

Post by JK-47 »

I agree in that people are quite sour nowadays, and that modding is just a way to get a good reputation and be cool in communities. A lot of this is taking place with Halo 3. I understand the reasons they have behind not releasing any information on modding, but to just sit there and basically say "Hah, I can mod and you can't", is pretty lame. I personally don't care if Halo 3 modding becomes a reality or not (I prefer it not to be, actually).

However, there is a bit of hope. When Halo 2 modding came out, Halo PC modding died almost completely. It was pretty much just a ghost forum. But after maybe a year or so, it picked back up again. So I'm not giving up on it just because everyone's focus is shifted onto another game. In any case, I do it for fun. I've made so many mods I haven't released, because it's just a hobby of mine.
This kind of thing happens a lot, so I'm not really worried about modding dying, just being put on halt for a little.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

JK-47 wrote:I agree in that people are quite sour nowadays, and that modding is just a way to get a good reputation and be cool in communities. A lot of this is taking place with Halo 3. I understand the reasons they have behind not releasing any information on modding, but to just sit there and basically say "Hah, I can mod and you can't", is pretty lame. I personally don't care if Halo 3 modding becomes a reality or not (I prefer it not to be, actually).

However, there is a bit of hope. When Halo 2 modding came out, Halo PC modding died almost completely. It was pretty much just a ghost forum. But after maybe a year or so, it picked back up again. So I'm not giving up on it just because everyone's focus is shifted onto another game. In any case, I do it for fun. I've made so many mods I haven't released, because it's just a hobby of mine.
This kind of thing happens a lot, so I'm not really worried about modding dying, just being put on halt for a little.
But a lot of people are leaving too, so you have to think about that.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

There have been many times when I have thought about throwing in the towel...but I just can't help myself...whenever I get an idea I have to follow up on it or it'll annoy me for ages...and if I don't keep up with developments, I'll prob get confused and annoyed etc :?

modding is a great way to channel my creative logic >_>
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

Without modding I would have no "force" to develop my graphic skills, or my programming skills, or any of my current skills :\

Modding is a wonderful way to express your creative talents, and develop new skills. I will never quit.
neodos

Post by neodos »

I have left saying all the shit that no one else have dare to say to those who needed to know it.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Yeah I really wouldn't have much to program for without modding.
Tural

Post by Tural »

Is that referring to me and Veegie, neodos?
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

OwnZ joO wrote:Yeah I really wouldn't have much to program for without modding.
But you never know what other skills you could have developed without modding :wink:
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Grimdoomer wrote:But you never know what other skills you could have developed without modding :wink:
What do you mean? If you're saying I would have learned programming without modding you're right, I take computers classes as much as I can in school, modding just gives me projects to work on that have a real purpose.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

I mean you could have gained some other skill without modding. Like Snowboarding Skateboarding (assuming you don't already).
JK-47

Post by JK-47 »

Grimdoomer wrote:
JK-47 wrote:I agree in that people are quite sour nowadays, and that modding is just a way to get a good reputation and be cool in communities. A lot of this is taking place with Halo 3. I understand the reasons they have behind not releasing any information on modding, but to just sit there and basically say "Hah, I can mod and you can't", is pretty lame. I personally don't care if Halo 3 modding becomes a reality or not (I prefer it not to be, actually).

But a lot of people are leaving too, so you have to think about that.
I have. But, like I said, I had to watch this happen with HPC. I took a break for a bit, but it picked back up again. I'm just sayin it's not the end ;p But if you want to leave it, that's your deal. Nothin wrong with it.