Halo CE to Xbox Conversions

DoorM4n

Re: Halo CE to Xbox Conversions

Post by DoorM4n »

So you got Magic working? Can anyone here write a damn tutorial on how to convert Halo CE maps to Xbox with Arsenic?!
Remnant! We were the last stand.
cain532

Post by cain532 »

lol I just started working with it late last night :P got further on my computer after I updated to Windows 7 (oddly enough) I'm gonna put some more work into it tonight and if all goes well I'll post a tutorial
cain532

Post by cain532 »

Ok, so i got Arsenic to work on my Windows 7 computer, downloaded it, got the SLIMDX 2008 November release, placed the cache maps into the Xbox Maps folder, leave the tags folder EMPTY!!! then load up Arsenic, File-Import-Xbox maps. This will dump all the tags for you. It'll take a while but it works well. To add a CE map, go to import-map then after it imports, on the right side go under levels-test-(find .scenario) then you go to file-export and either cache or compressed, or you can send it to your Xbox via the built in FTP function. So far, I've only tried the compressed option, it changes the internal name for you. Fox Island didn't work, trying New Mombasa Classic next, I'll do a dump of it using all three methods and report back.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

After reading that it sounds like what I did when I did it. I think it throws an exception or 2 in there sometimes like maybe after loading the scanario, but just press continue and ignore it.
cain532

Post by cain532 »

Actually, I get no errors :/ and none of the maps work right,
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Fucking Arsenic. Is there anyway to access the original Halomaps.com thread that listed the tutorials? I'm banned from the site, so I can't get over there. Is there a way to get to the internet archives and get this tutorial?
cain532

Post by cain532 »

It won't let me on either :( I did manage to get a successful conversion of Launch Bay X though :) I had to change the sky tho, but it works. I got New Mombasa to load up, just have to change some other tags around, the ground and everything was all multi-colored and didn't quite work lol. How far can you get on Arsenic before you run into problems Doorm4n?
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Keep in mind that you want to extract like all of the tags from the xbox maps into your tags folder before you try to do conversions. It will not overwrite tags in that folder that already exist if I remember right, so it will take the xbox ones if you extract them first(which is generally what you want, have arsenic convert as little as possible)
cain532

Post by cain532 »

I have everything set up, got it to work more or less :) some maps require you to change a few things around, like Launch Bay X needed a new sky and blood islands needs a different water tag (still working that out lol) Just takes some fiddling around with, I'm going to work on a tutorial
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Great! Write a tutorial, cain! School is destroying me right now, so I don't have time to fiddle around with anything. A tutorial is so gladly appreciated. :)
cain532

Post by cain532 »

I'm not good at tutorials lol, but here you go :D I tried to be as thorough as possible and included a lot of pictures. If you get lost on anything (or if I forgot something) let me know and I'll fill in the blanks :)

I made it a .pdf, but remnantmods won't let me upload that format :( hope a megaupload link is ok

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KFGXPH8P
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Thanks man! It's a really weird deal because I did that exact procedure before, and it crashed on me. I'm going to try again, and I'll make sure that I don't skip any steps or anything. It is much appreciated, cain. It's too bad they deleted the Halo Xbox thread! :( :p
cain532

Post by cain532 »

I know an issue I had was that I had installed 2 different slimdx versions, that caused it to crash on me pretty quick. As soon as I started putting everything onto my computer running Windows 7 I had no issues. Not sure why honestly