Mutation Update

Grimdoomer
Admin

Mutation Update

Post by Grimdoomer »

Well some of you might be woundering why I haven't posted anything new in a while, and I think I should inform you all of this. I have modded my 360, wich allows me to write homebrew on it. I've been working around the clock to get a beta of a custom dashboard I'm working on for it out. I have also just bought a Sony Net Yaroze, wich is a mocked down version of the real debugger kits. School is starting in one week from this post. With that being said, I am NOT putting Mutation down.

My 360 is on the verg of death, rrod every boot up has me constantly heat gunning it. This has made the development of my dashboard, along with a few other problems, a slow painful process. I'm hoping once the beta is out someone will be kind enough to send me a xenon 360 to finish development. I also plan to make a few emulators, N64, PSX, possibly wii. I'm hoping to also have some help from other homebrew developers. Any way, this is something that occupies a lot of time, but something I'm very excited to do.

On the note of my Net Yaroze, this is only something I will do in down time. Seeing as there is no community for this, it is more a hobby, something to do when bored and what not, and something I can put in my portfolio.

Now onto Mutation. The last time I was working on it, my library for D3D Controls was almost done, I only had 2 left. I was also recoding all the DirectX API to use SlimDX, a more managed, 32/64 bit friendly wrapper for DirectX. I had also done some work on the BSP Plugin, stuff to do with missing reflexives and padding. Maps still don't load. I had fixed some of the model viewers, cloth, decr, prtm now all work. Models still have a few bugs in them, need to sit down and really debug it, talk to poke etc.

School starts in a week wich seriously limits my time to work on things from 16-18 hours a day, to about 5-7. My parents might also ground me if I don't do good. I do plan to finish Mutation. But one thing that demotivates me is the fact that I don't have compiled maps loading. If I could get this working, then I could finish Mutation a lot faster, since almost all the features depend on being able to test in game.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
neodos

Re: Mutation Update

Post by neodos »

Stop doing direct x stuff model view and try to get maps compiling properly :mrgreen:
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

Grimdoomer wrote: But one thing that demotivates me is the fact that I don't have compiled maps loading.
You're looking at this the wrong way, the sbsp is the last thing you have left. You fixed everything else so you only have one obstacle left though a bit of a large one at that.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

DemonicSandwich wrote:
Grimdoomer wrote: But one thing that demotivates me is the fact that I don't have compiled maps loading.
You're looking at this the wrong way, the sbsp is the last thing you have left. You fixed everything else so you only have one obstacle left though a bit of a large one at that.
Yes, xbox7887 has verified that the engine loads the all the tags fine, wich would suggest a good set of plugins, and that it is crashing at sbsp somewhere. I have made an app that tells me the padding size, and suggested interval for each reflexive in sbsp and ltmp. With this I added correct padding intervals for zanzibar to test, into the sbsp plugin, along with a few missing reflexives. Maps still don't load. I don't know where to look next. I need someones help to look through the sbsp tag.
neodos

Post by neodos »

If you're pretty sure its bsp why not copy all the meta and raw from an original bungie's map just to make sure its that and see if it loads.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

neodos wrote:If you're pretty sure its bsp why not copy all the meta and raw from an original bungie's map just to make sure its that and see if it loads.
Because you cant just copy and paste shit. There are numerous things that would be broken as a result.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Grimdoomer wrote:
neodos wrote:If you're pretty sure its bsp why not copy all the meta and raw from an original bungie's map just to make sure its that and see if it loads.
Because you cant just copy and paste shit. There are numerous things that would be broken as a result.
Not if you rebuilt a clean map...
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
Gary

Post by Gary »

There a chunk cloner/adder/remover?
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

xzodia wrote:
Grimdoomer wrote:
Not if you rebuilt a clean map...
You might want to brush up on how bsp works you two :wink: The BSP Magic is based on the index size, I don't know how bungie figured out the index size, but there was always some huge block of padding shit at the end of the index. Since I can actually calculate the exact size of the index, I do that before I compile the bsp meta. If I copy the bsp meta of a clean map, not only is every ident and string id gunna be broken, the magic will also be fucked. The last time I modified it to do something like that, I completly fucked it up, and spent a day or two fixing it.
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

Well, I was hoping you would finish it over the summer so I could actually mod something, but alright. As long as it gets done.

Also, why do you want a xenon? Why not get a jasper and use the new hack?
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Eaton wrote:Well, I was hoping you would finish it over the summer so I could actually mod something, but alright. As long as it gets done.

Also, why do you want a xenon? Why not get a jasper and use the new hack?
Because the alternate jtag points havent been found for jaspers, or maybe that was zypher.....
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

This thing still doesn't make maps?

Fix the BSP now gogogo.
neodos

Post by neodos »

Try to compile shared sbsp, i actually got shared sbsp on zanzibar loading, if i remember it was just exproting the sbsp redursively and building it into zanzibar entity does the rest and the map loads, you could maybe work with that, shared sbsp is very simple, also let's not forget this is just in order to figure out if the mutation maps are not loading because of sbsp or something else.
Last edited by neodos on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Yeah you can use entity to do a bsp conversion with smaller bsp > larger bsp map by recursively and parsed extracting the bsp and building it in.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

First I need to fix the SlimDX code. Seems to be crashing for no reason.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

Grimdoomer wrote:First I need to fix the SlimDX code. Seems to be crashing for no reason.
It ate too many maps and now it's fat and lazy. :lol:
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

DemonicSandwich wrote:
Grimdoomer wrote:First I need to fix the SlimDX code. Seems to be crashing for no reason.
It ate too many maps and now it's fat and lazy. :lol:
The d3d bullshit can wait till later. I want to focus on getting maps compiled. Seeing as neodos wants to help but can't due to lack on knowledge on how this all works, I'm going to say this. Mutation was designed to build maps with no external resources, meaning: You can create a blank project, much like VS, and be able to turn it into a working map. It calculates everything from scratch, and one constant number. Anything that is not needed in the map like crazy, is not even dealt with. Xbox7887 has confirmed that it is the bsp/lightmap blocks that are causing the map to freeze. I have spent a couple hours, modifing entity to save every reflexive name, offset, size, chunk count, and chunk size to a txt file. Wich I then made an app to read it out, and calculate the padding size, and interval based on the data in the file. With the new info I found a couple missing reflexives, wich I have added, and put in the correct intervals for zanzibar into the sbsp plugin. But maps still do not load. The problem could be more mising reflexives that are not mapped in any app, padding, or something we have no idea about. The way the map format and Mutation work, I can not compare my sbsp/ltmp meta to clean meta, as there are too many differences with padding, floats, SIDs, Idents, and reflexives, and I can not insert premade meta into the map. I need help finding what data is causing the map to fail, and I can provide compiled maps, and my sbsp/ltmp plugins.