C# vs. VB

Aumaan Anubis
Staff

C# vs. VB

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

Alright, so my school is offering a course on Visual Basic programming.

I'm quite convinced of the fact that C# is superior to VB in many different ways. Feel free to confirm my beliefs.

I feel like asking the administration to switch the course to C#, rather than the original VB, as it would benefit future programmers.

My question is, how would I go about doing it? Would it be worth it?

I basically need some statistics and whatnot to convince someone focused on an education standpoint, that C# is more worth learning.

I'm currently leaning to saying that C# is more commonly used and is more advanced than the VB language. The C# language is primarily by used programmers, for a variety of things. Games, applications, etc. VB is more restricted in its uses. C# will be more useful in future careers/college course... yadda yadda yadda.

If anyone can provide some solid information, that'd be great.
XZodia
Staff

Re: C# vs. VB

Post by XZodia »

Statistically, they act the same since they use .Net
However, for the programmer C# has much greater flexiblility than VB and knowing C# makes it easier to move to the more advanced C/C++
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

From my viewpoint and experience C# is more advanced and presents a steeper learning curve, but once you have beaten that its fairly easy. VB is so basic that its boring :\ The syntax cracks me up for subs.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

xzodia wrote:Statistically, they act the same since they use .Net
However, for the programmer C# has much greater flexiblility than VB and knowing C# makes it easier to move to the more advanced C/C++
My school had a VB course and I wish they would of had a C# or C++ course. VB is easy to learn but so is C#, and since C# is closer to C++ I would try go more towards that. I always get annoyed now when someone asks me how to do something in VB because I'm trying to step away from it so I can get closer to using C++ as a main coding language, but until then C# just seems easier then C++ without the tons of extra code VB has.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

VB isn't horrible. There are plenty of popular programs on the Internet coded in that language. I started with VB and I liked it a lot.

PS: Your lucky your school offers .NET programming! My school only offers Java... <_<
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

lul mine only taught VB6
xXF3RcHoXx

Post by xXF3RcHoXx »

Eaton wrote:VB isn't horrible. There are plenty of popular programs on the Internet coded in that language. I started with VB and I liked it a lot.

PS: Your lucky your school offers .NET programming! My school only offers Java... <_<
Your lucky your school offers Java! My school only offers Excel, lawl... <_<
We are the last stand.
Aumman Anubis wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how a cat grooming defeats a failing economy.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Eaton wrote:VB isn't horrible. There are plenty of popular programs on the Internet coded in that language. I started with VB and I liked it a lot.

There's nothing wrong with java. It's very similar to C#, although it has a steeper learning curve to get a program with a GUI(I still haven't learned to because I haven't extensively tried). But programming is not just making a GUI, it's knowing how to write code that is efficient and not redundant, which you can learn just as easily in java as C#.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Im taking Java this year, and I honestly think it's a pointless language. I mean no one really uses java, and if you were gunna program something that needed native code, C++ is what your gunna use. I laughed when my teacher said java might replace native C. If anything I think java will become a dead language.

I haven't really read up on all it can do. But I do know that it can run on any computer because it uses its own virtual machine. But I don't really see the point in it.

But any way, C# will defently give you a better perspective on what programing is like. If you ever got a job at some kind of software company, you wouldn'y be using VB. You would most likly be using a C/C++ compiler.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Grimdoomer wrote:Im taking Java this year, and I honestly think it's a pointless language. I mean no one really uses java, and if you were gunna program something that needed native code, C++ is what your gunna use. I laughed when my teacher said java might replace native C. If anything I think java will become a dead language.

I haven't really read up on all it can do. But I do know that it can run on any computer because it uses its own virtual machine. But I don't really see the point in it.

But any way, C# will defently give you a better perspective on what programing is like. If you ever got a job at some kind of software company, you wouldn'y be using VB. You would most likly be using a C/C++ compiler.
Right now most companies use java... Sure there are lots that use C/C++, but most of them use java because it is platform independant. C code has to be modified and recompiled for each platform generally, while java can run the same bytecode on any platform. Compile once, run anywhere. With the mono framework, this could be a possibility in the future with .Net languages though.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

OwnZ joO wrote:Right now most companies use java...
Name One.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Raytheon... Don't treat me like I don't know anything. In the business world most companies do use java right now. Commercial applications and operating systems are lots of times written in C/C++ for speed purposes, but a lot more business programs use java.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

OwnZ joO wrote:Raytheon... Don't treat me like I don't know anything. In the business world most companies do use java right now. Commercial applications and operating systems are lots of times written in C/C++ for speed purposes, but a lot more business programs use java.
After looking through there jobs section they ask you have C, C++ or java skills, mainly because they are very similar. But they want you to have C or C++ skills.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

I visited there for a career day sort of thing at my school. The people said they mainly use java because you can do things like add buttons on a GUI and everything a lot easier with it, with the documentation they're required to do for the government stuff they do, it's a lot easier to use java. Like I said, a lot of businesses use java right now. The .Net framework is becoming more popular, and with the mono framework making it compatible with more operating systems, it will probably grow even more, but java is not a pointless language like you seem to think knowing barely anything about it.

By the way, I like C# more than java for the record. I just think it's wrong for you to say that it will give you more of a perspective of programming. Too many people think they have learned to program by memorizing the syntax of a language. Learning to program is about understanding the advanced concepts of programming like recursion and abstraction, not syntax. You can look syntax up and fix it in a second, it takes a while to master the concepts for most.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

OwnZ joO wrote:I visited there for a career day sort of thing at my school. The people said they mainly use java because you can do things like add buttons on a GUI and everything a lot easier with it, with the documentation they're required to do for the government stuff they do, it's a lot easier to use java. Like I said, a lot of businesses use java right now. The .Net framework is becoming more popular, and with the mono framework making it compatible with more operating systems, it will probably grow even more, but java is not a pointless language like you seem to think knowing barely anything about it.

By the way, I like C# more than java for the record. I just think it's wrong for you to say that it will give you more of a perspective of programming. Too many people think they have learned to program by memorizing the syntax of a language. Learning to program is about understanding the advanced concepts of programming like recursion and abstraction, not syntax. You can look syntax up and fix it in a second, it takes a while to master the concepts for most.
I'm taking a java class thank you. Also it is much harder to make a GUI with Java because most compilers don't have a form designer or anything close to that. Unless you are using a microsoft compiler, then that statement is completly false. But most java compilers don't. The only feature that is usefull, is how it has it's own virtual machine. Also over the last 9 years, I have never even used a java app, and I think I might have downloaded 1 jar file ever. There also aren't a lot of professional compilers wich is a complete turn down when choosing a language. Having to install some framework for it is also another turn down. Using another language you can embed or just include and framework dlls, ilimating that.

All I'm trying to say is that Java is going no were and fast because it basically is a modified C syntax wrapped in a virtual machine. There isn't a lot of professional compilers, and most classes will use a compiler far from any professional one avialible. Lastly it doesn't have a lot of control over the code like other languages use, wich I have learned first hand.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

No compilers have a GUI designer. Integrated Development Environments(IDE's) do... What are you learning in? BlueJ? When I took it in high school we started with DrJava and then moved to BlueJ, neither IDE had a GUI designer, but if I remember right Eclipse does or maybe it was another one, and there are others that do also. Don't act like you know everything about the language just because you've had limited contact with it. You are making claims about how it's a worthless language, when it is used in a lot of things. It might not be used in commercial applications like Word or Photoshop because of speed issues, but it is used in a lot of internal business applications because it can be compiled once and run on multiple operating systems.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

After searching two pages on google for "Java IDE" I only found one that had a GUI designer, wich was NetBeans. Yes I am using BlueJ, because schools really don'y know how to choose between IDE, as the VB class I took used the 03 edition of Visual Studio. Having it run on multiple OS's is a great feature, but it doesn't have nearly as much flexablity as another language such as C#, wich I have exspirienced on multiple occasions.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Whatever man, I'm going to stop discussing this with you. You obviously can't accept that you really don't know that much at all about Java with your limited experience with it. I'm not a Java expert, so I can't argue every little thing it offers, but I do know that it is useful in it's own right and is not a dead language.