Planning Mods...

Discuss your Halo 2 mod project here.
DoorM4n

Planning Mods...

Post by DoorM4n »

How often do you guys plan mods and actually make them from your "plans"?

It seems like every time I plan a mod and get a bug/hole, I get frustrated and hold it off. It seems to me that every mod that I haven't drawn layouts for have been very successful. Does anyone else go through this process? My mods Lockout Underground Arena, Churchyard, Fire in the Sky (unreleased) :P , Ski Resort, and a few others were not planned at all, but they were made somewhat quickly and easily. I have had so many mods that were in progress that I drew layouts for, that were just left in the dust. Every mod that did not come with a drawn layout has been released and completed to an extent.

What are your opinions on this? Does anyone have the same problem? What do you suggest? Possibly just making mods when I feel like it and never think twice about it? I think that is my problem...I need a modding psychologist. :oops:

Do you think my school counselor can help me out? HAHAHAH jk
Remnant! We were the last stand.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

Talk to your counselor; but bring a recording device; It will be ORSM!

But yea; I always just get an idea in my head a go from there... mods with planning end up getting postponed because you cannot do one thing or another >_<

Still...

Planning not all bad, just do not let hold-ups stop your mod; think of something new.
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

Yeah, it happens to me.

If I plan something, then the mod will have some amazing stuff, because it was planned and well-thought out.

Well, turns out the amazing stuff is either too hard or impossible, so I just let it go.

The mod I'm currently making was sort of spontaneous, and was completely inspired by you, DoorM4n. You're Ski Resort made me want to make a good mod again, so thanks.

Anyway, it's actually going well, I'm hitting a few bugs along the way, but it's almost done.

I'm having a hell of a time with fixing gametypes, though.
neodos

Re: Planning Mods...

Post by neodos »

I have like 4 mods that i never finished because of bugs or not spawning stuff on syslink, but now i found how to fix spawns, i may finish those :idea:

But i'd need like 8 people to play beta's on xlink to see if mods are fun, the most important thing when i make a mod now is to make something enjoyable to play not just "outstanding mod" because of the effects that takes all the screen when you shoot and u can't see anything etc :mrgreen:
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

lol; I really need to get my modbox back from my friend...
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

I need to finish my app, then ill be able to finish all my mods with eas.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
MrMurder

Post by MrMurder »

Hey .....what happened i was browesing the net some random guy asks me the way to the store and next thing i know 2more guys grab me and bundle me in a van :XD:
Nice new site thanks Xzodia for letting an old burnt out modder like me in 8-)

As far as planning goes i try and plan everything in my mods as far as i can right down to the smallest detail but never on paper its always in my head where im taking everything and i like to be guided by what i see in-game and frequently test the mod in lan to get a feel of where i need to move forward.
The biggest thing i find is when i think of an idea for a weapon/effect/scenery piece or look and it bugs the game out thank god for back ups :roll:

On top of that while im putting everything together theres always someone who makes a new app or figures something groundbreaking out and i want it in my map lol sigh time to start over again lol.

Thanks for your time.
Thanks For You're Time
Supermodder911

Post by Supermodder911 »

MrMurder wrote:Hey .....what happened i was browesing the net some random guy asks me the way to the store and next thing i know 2more guys grab me and bundle me in a van :XD:
Nice new site thanks Xzodia for letting an old burnt out modder like me in 8-)

As far as planning goes i try and plan everything in my mods as far as i can right down to the smallest detail but never on paper its always in my head where im taking everything and i like to be guided by what i see in-game and frequently test the mod in lan to get a feel of where i need to move forward.
The biggest thing i find is when i think of an idea for a weapon/effect/scenery piece or look and it bugs the game out thank god for back ups :roll:

On top of that while im putting everything together theres always someone who makes a new app or figures something groundbreaking out and i want it in my map lol sigh time to start over again lol.

Thanks for your time.
lol. That was funny to read.

Now we know how "Outstanding Mods" are made.
Chad Warden is Ballin'. No jk.
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

Well, all the mods ive tried to do just from like someone thinking this would be cool, they just never worked out, usually bc i was partnered with someone and they just abandoned the whole thing :(

Right now i have a mod getting setup (as some of u have saw in my post), im hoping for it to go farther and maybe take the various new stuff and make a map pack or something, but of course first, i need to complete my model making and then start resizing stuff and getting it ready for injection :D