H3, H3: ODST, Reach, and H4 BSP Extraction

Discuss your Halo 2 mod project here.
NotZachary82

H3, H3: ODST, Reach, and H4 BSP Extraction

Post by NotZachary82 »

I am not the author of this application. In fact, I have nothing to do with this app, I am only bringing it and its capabilities to the attention of this forum.

If you haven't heard already, an app known as Adjutant was given a big update in its new 3.5 iteration.

This application was designed to extract assets beyond Halo 2 to be used for personal use (porting and machinima are big examples). It could previously only extract bitmap and model raw, but now has been given the ability of extracting BSP meshes, across all X360 Halo (fps) titles, for the public.

Some examples:

lolpit

Now, this is pretty cool as we get to see how BSPs work in newer generations of the engine, especially since sealed-world rules are pretty lenient from what I've seen upon extracting some BSPs. With the rumors of H3 coming to Steam, it'd be cool to get the jump on learning how to model maps, assuming it has its own HEK that isnt garbage haha.

But since those are only rumors, my main point of this is...

...does anyone want to help me port some to H2X? 8-)
Last edited by NotZachary82 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Click16

Re: H3, H3: ODST, Reach, and H4 BSP Extraction

Post by Click16 »

I don't have any Halo 3 maps, but does this also extract model raw data? I would like to get Halo 3's Assault Rifle model into Halo 2. (IMO Halo 3's Assault Rifle looks badass)

EDIT: Downloaded a couple of H3 maps and I can confirm that this program can extract models and their textures. Ohhh man!
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Yep, and xboxdb has all the maps (can I link that here?)
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

My goodness, it would be fantastic if this actually works in H2X. That said, there have been many failed attempts by sharp, dedicated people to get much of anything custom in the BSP, so I'll reserve most of my excitement for when I see collision :| .

I'm not able to contribute, but maybe neodos or XZodia or JacksonCougar could be lured from their semi-retirement and lend their expertise. I'd be in big trouble for my free time if this works. Probably DoorM4n too.

My only piece of advice is to start small with something as simple as possible.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

I had no actual intention of getting a proper custom SBSP tag up and running, that would be a crazy feat (and one well overdue). The actual goal of this would be to do it via Onyx. Accomplishing the former of course would be amazing alone, just for the sake of doing it.
xXF3RcHoXx

Post by xXF3RcHoXx »

Maybe try a port of The Pit? it's a very blocky map so fixing coll with Onyx shouldn't be much of a problem (apart from tiem consuming, though)
We are the last stand.
Aumman Anubis wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how a cat grooming defeats a failing economy.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Thats actually the first one i wanted to do haha
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

If someone will upload the pit, and the last level from ODST bsp models, and if maybe jackson would give me access to PMI 5, I would use some of my free time to build collision for the maps, but only if the models inject fairly decent.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

This is so fantastic! I would love to extract Reach and Halo 4 maps and see what secret lie within them! What is the forum you found this at?
Remnant! We were the last stand.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Halomaps http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pag ... icID=45590

*Also if you want any maps you can get them off of xboxdb, just google it
Click16

Post by Click16 »

The new update supports sound extraction to raw WAV files too!
xXF3RcHoXx

Post by xXF3RcHoXx »

Click16 wrote:The new update supports sound extraction to raw WAV files too!
Uber sexy AR sounds ftw
We are the last stand.
Aumman Anubis wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how a cat grooming defeats a failing economy.
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

my old ass XP service pack 3 machine cant run newer tools, and it dosnt do framework updates well either, its telling me to install 22 other updates first and bla blaa bla, so can some one just send me a link to Coastal Hwy's bsp.
I started modeling it from scratch years ago, but it was pretty bad, I would like to just build the collision, then share it for others to add their mods to.
Edit, well i finally got it to work, but this doesnt seem to be what im looking for, i just wanted the small part of the bsp where the gazebo is in the middle, the road goes around it, a couple sets of stairs leadind to a small room with two lifts, and uper balcony, and parking area on the sides. it looked a bit like this,

If anyone can get it for me ill build the collision.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

I'm confused, what's the problem? What isn't what you're looking for? I know what area that is, it's a firefight level. If you can get the firefight map Last Exit (google for the map file, I've told where to find them already) just extract the bsp and import the clusters/instances as separate models etc.
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

ok thanks, i had the wrong map, lol.
And i dont know anything about the cluster instances, today was the first time i looked in any maps other then Halo2.

Im more then a bit rusty :)
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

BSP instances are basically BSP scenery. I think they have a bounding radius (or something similar) like regular scenery, but have lightmap capabilities. Clusters are the portals of the map, basically it's broken up so the whole thing doesn't have to be loaded if it isn't being viewed. Each cluster is hidden offscreen if necessary to save memory
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

Im so excited!

Now downloading Citadel, Sword Base, Docks, and Maybe The Pit.

I sure hope someone will be available to play them after i build them into Halo2, I was going to do Narrows, but the Lifts wernt cooporating, I may still do Last stand as well, but I havnt got the map yet.

If all goes as planned, I will release modded and unmodded versions of each map.

I will probly find work now that ive stacked my modding plate full, lol.
Edit: is there a way to export the bsp directly to autodesk soft image.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

You can save them as .obj if thats what you're asking
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Hey, my bad for the bump, but is xboxdb no longer available? Im trying to extract bsps from Halo 4 but the links are all dead.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

It goes down a lot, a necessary evil I think. It'll be back soon
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

Good luck with that Doorman. Most Reach bsps are are about 1600+ individual instances and thats not including the main clusters. Also Halo 4 maps run around upwards of 250,000 vertices. Basically, you aint getting them into Halo 2. I had trouble just getting ODST select maps to compile under engine limits for H2v. If you want the bsps bad enough, ill rip them into amf and send em over.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Well of course optimization would have been a factor, and that's exactly why nothing has spawned from this effort haha. Too much work and not enough ambition.
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

I hear yah. Just renaming and linki.g the pieces is a week long exploit. Hell it took me a solid 2 weeks just to weild vertices for Construct and get everything within tolerqnce. Halo 4 maps...after trying wraparound...no thqnks. Most of the map.work looks as if they have thousands of individual pieces. And just place them.similar to.forge. errors galore!
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

I extracted sword base, but it has holes that i need to fix, its just a base model, ill have to decorate it myself, but this will greatly cut down the poly/verticies. I havnt tried any Halo 4 bsps yet.
I have citadel, docks, swordbase, and the pit, if anyone needs them.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Ogrish wrote:I extracted sword base, but it has holes that i need to fix, its just a base model, ill have to decorate it myself, but this will greatly cut down the poly/verticies. I havnt tried any Halo 4 bsps yet.
I have citadel, docks, swordbase, and the pit, if anyone needs them.
Meshlab is cool on cutting down polys and verts. Im sure you know a good method too tho.