Project Kiilomanjaro

Discuss your Halo 2 mod project here.
Twinreaper

Re: Project Kiilomanjaro

Post by Twinreaper »

Beause of my anal retentive-ness with my maps, I am looking for an outside opinion on what the map has become. So I am asking for a few people to test the hell out of it, and see what THEY think. I'm never happy with my stuff, and unless some others give some feedback on how it is....they may never be released. PM or hit me up on mSN or AIM for dl-linkage. Thanks in advance guys!
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

Yeah, I will def test these maps out soon here, look fun. Maybe Capt will test with me since I kick his ass on new maps as always :p
Twinreaper wrote:I'm never happy with my stuff, and unless some others give some feedback on how it is....they may never be released.
I know exactly how you feel, Twin, I'm the same way ;)
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

I'm always in for testing (SLC), just don't always respond.

As for Entombed Twin... well I must say. Glad to see a SLC working map. It's very well done, other than:
* we find the room with the pit too dark. Maybe another flame or hanging lantern?
* the LOD issue. bitmaps pop-up and <I believe> due to using a high LOD the game gets a very slight amount of lag w/ 2 ppl on one xbox (Linked to 2ppl on 2nd xbox). I think correct LODs would fix this.
* Flag bases are too close together (haven't tested assault yet) and spawns seem too far away from base.
* One of the guys suggested more different weapons (not sure if you are planning that already)

Also, are the doors supposed to have collision until they are blown up or are they supposed to be projections?

Other than the above, it's a great map. Can't wait to see the end result. I'll be working on the LOD injection for you ;)
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

Thanks for testin it out guys. I do have the list of things that you would like to see changed, and will implement them asap. So check your pm boxes some time next week so you can check out the changes. Also, glad to hear that the map is SLC! Thats a first for one of my maps! LOL
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

Ok guys......we're almost in the home stretch for our target date release of the map pack, and I am falling massivley behind. As many of you know, I recently have started working again. This new job has forced me into 6 day a week, 12 hour shifts, so as you can imagine, little to no work is getting done on my last maps or the mainmenu part of the map pack. I am in desperate need of 2 to 3 people whom could spare the time to work on the custom mainmenu aspect of the project. I would realy not like to have to force the project release back to a November date, but if lack of support is what it is, then so be it. So if you think you have what it takes, either newschool or old school modders, all are welcome to this. Please contact me via Messenger or Aim, so we can get the ball rolling. Thanks in advance guys!
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

I would, really would, TR, but as you know, I want to get RL done by the 21st. Looking to get a very good portion of it done tonight...
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Work and life are kicking my butt right now, too. I'd prefer a November release date so I can cook up a couple more things.
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

Due to lifes little interruptions, the community map pack has been moved, and is now slated for a definate release date of November 20th. This should give us all a little more headway in terms of finalizing our content. Good luck gentlemen.....this post will self destruct in 15 seconds....
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

Ok, last few weeks now. I'm guessin this map pack aint gonna happen, due to lack of responses on finished maps and the fact that I have now no time to work on a main menu, or get the last bit of my maps done. Unless a main menu, and a huge response of finished maps is posted up by at least the 15th, I'll just assume life got the better of us, and will release all of my material solo......all 8 of them damn maps...finished or not.
CaptainPoopface

There does seem to be a lack of response, but I would still like to put this together. Here are the maps I'm planning to include:

Arson: Tower - completed. Just needs to be SLC tested.
Arson: Alpha - needs weapon and player spawns. A few hours' work, and it'll be ready.
Descent: Cyclotron - needs some weapon meta (a day's work), then I could easily add...
Descent: Elongation
A secret collaboration with neodos - needs weapon meta, map collision
Usurp - completed, SLC tested.

There are a few other possibilities, including any other map I've released

Then there's Ogrish's map, and your 8 maps. That's enough for a map pack.

To stimulate interest, here are some cool tricks I know how to do that I can either write tutorials for, or provide tags/patches for people to play with:

- Temporarily freeze or slow down other players with projectile impact (jpt method, SLC)
- Temporarily reverse a player's controls, using a grenade or any other projectile
- A better grappling gun; only works if you are within range of an object to latch on, launches you straight forward
- Temporarily cloak, campaign style using crouch button (no need to use a special weapon or give up a trigger). Lose your cloak if you get hit.
- Activate a higher jump by crouching before jumping. Requires you to stop running for a moment. Normal jumping is unaffected. Good for effectively shrinking large / tall maps for a small number of players, and adding a new element of strategy. Think of Colossus with just two or three people, with the central lift removed.
- Jump up and away from walls by crouching as you run into them, while facing either directly toward or away from them. If you visualize two vertical planes slightly less than jumping distance apart, you could continuously ascend by carefully timing your crouch as you hit each wall. For Ninja Gaiden-style chimney jumping.
- A boost gun that gives your biped a short burst of forward speed, but with a limited number of uses
- Reflect projectiles back to the person who shot them by carefully timing a weapon trigger right as the projectile would have hit you. Reflected projectiles could be the same or different from the one that was originally fired. For example, you could make all reflected projectiles stun the person who shot them, for Unreal Tournament 2 tactics. Good for a simple game of rockets and swords on Foundation. My method for this may not be SLC though.

If anyone is interested in learning how to do these things and would actually use them in a mod, let me know and I'll put it together.
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

Ok start writing your tutorials.

I want to know how to do them all.

I have 3 unfinished maps, i just havnt had any time.
All 3 still need weapons work, some placement work, one sill needs some collision work,
and two need some model and shader/UV work.
P.S. 2 need slc testing.

I have 3 days off coming up, so ill get what i can done then.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

:shock:

These sound like they would add quite a new twist on the game. Love to see some tuts.
Not sure what all you're looking for in a map, but I have a SP->MP conversion that has weapon/spawn/hill/CTF/etc placements, no big mods otherwise though.

Also, I'm here for SLC testing. It looks like my laptop's LAN port is working again, so wend em my way and I'll see how they do.
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

Glad to hear that Troy. I just so happen to have new builds of Alphagasgiant, HQ_4 and Asylum that need testing. I'll try to get as many spawns as possible done by tonight, and have them ftp'd up to my folder for you to test.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Alphagasgiant rar is corrupt. I just d/l the new winrar to make sure that wasn't it. Are you using WinRar to compress? I've had this problem with a couple of yours before.

RAR File size: 45,391,995 bytes
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

Hmmmm. I'll post up the sppf for you instead. Yeah I have been have problems with winrar doing that. Maybe it's just a wrong setting? Scratch that... I believe it is an incorrect setting for how FlashFXP handles my rar files...seeing as how rar files I send over MSN and other clients works fine. I also added up Asylum and Hq 4 for testing as well. Only a few slayer spawns are set, so only the slayer gametype will work....want to make sure I'm not wasting time by placing everything first. And of coarse...the patches are for Headlong.
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

Ok, so just to recap here is the list of maps so far for the map pack....

- Alphagasgiant
- Hq_4
- Entombed
- Witch Hunt
- Hq_1b
- Asylum
- Arson: Tower
- Arson: Alpha
- Descent: Cyclotron
- Descent: Elongation
- Secret Neo/Poop map
- Usurp
- 1st un-named Ogrish map
- 2nd un-named Ogrish map
- 3rd un-named Ogrish map
- Redemption Lake.......mb?

16 total so far from what I can gather. C'mon people out there! Show some Remnant love and get those maps in pronto!
Gary

Post by Gary »

I might be able to get Delta Station done, if I do, you can put it in the pack.
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

It will be a welcome edition if you can get it finished. I also have decided to add a few tad older mods to the list. One of them being cadaver abuse........it's just too much fun not to be included!
socrates

Post by socrates »

My Labyrinth could be added, it needs a shader for walls and a sky swap, then fog edit..
Marbles probably won't be finished but it's a possibility.
neodos

Post by neodos »

If i see maps posted and i have enough time i'll make the MM.
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

Redemption lake is on hold for the moment being, but if i could get with my partner, could have it done this wknd i suppose, but thats kinda quick for me...
CaptainPoopface

I am probably screwed for the next couple of weeks with work and family issues and won't be able to complete anything in that time. However, I definitely maintain my interest in the project. I know we've already pushed back the release date and Twinreaper was aiming for the 20th of this month, but I would like more time to complete my work. I will have some time off during Thanksgiving, and December should be fairly quiet as well.

If you still want to release everything you have on the 20th, I suppose that's up to you, but maybe we could call that a beta version of the map pack, and stay open to adding other maps as I (and others) complete them. I'm also looking forward to Troy's SLC fixing app / Entity.

I will put together a very basic main menu skin if neodos is too busy. He made a menu skin for me with all brown bitmaps, so it would be easy for me to find and change them (there are so many). Of course, neodos is the best at it and his work would be better than mine, but the option is there if needed.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Ugh, I need to stop working on Return to Black Mesa East and work on Delta Station... well, even if I can't get my map out, looks like your map pack will still have quite a few mods.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

alphagas giant, asylum & hq4 are all SLC.
all the other RAR map files on the FTP sever are coming up corrupted for me. so I can't test the other maps. Is this just me?
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

Agreed. We'll hold off on the major release, and maybe just release a short sweet beta...sort of a preview of things to come.