I'm starting a boat mod.

Discuss your Halo 2 mod project here.
xxpenguinxx

I'm starting a boat mod.

Post by xxpenguinxx »

I'm actually starting a true mod project, I was going to make a boat because there are so few, if any, of them out there.

So before I start building the map does anyone have any suggestions or maybe even some models that you would like to be used? Maybe some of you may already have a mod started and would like to see it complete.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
XZodia
Staff

Re: I'm starting a boat mod.

Post by XZodia »

You should first decide how your gonna make your boat...
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

well, for the boat and water I was going to just use a normal vehicle but give it low friction so when you accelerate it's slow but when you stop it takes some time. I was going to put a giant gravity lift across the water so when you walk across it you get pulled lightly and you move slower like you're in water.

I was going to make it like an industrial map so there's going to be metal docks and stuff. Most of the walking area is going to be about 20ft or so out of the water.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
Click16

Post by Click16 »

xxpenguinxx wrote:well, for the boat and water I was going to just use a normal vehicle but give it low friction so when you accelerate it's slow but when you stop it takes some time. I was going to put a giant gravity lift across the water so when you walk across it you get pulled lightly and you move slower like you're in water.

I was going to make it like an industrial map so there's going to be metal docks and stuff. Most of the walking area is going to be about 20ft or so out of the water.
You could lower the banshee limit enough to make the top of the barrier level with the water, and then just use the banshee, and edit it so you don't get a flying boat.
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

I have an idea for the boat and water, but idk if this even makes sense...

You would have to use some modeified coll to make it work, first thing would be to make some attachments that arent physically attached but still have connection to the "boat". Then build a platform in between them (in the water) so that the attachment below the surface cant go upwards. Use lifts upside down to force the boat to always stay in the upper most area. This would allow u to turn, forward backward or anything without having to worry about barriers or anything else.

Did this make sense?

xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

That makes sense, but I was thinking of just putting a giant invisible box below to act as a walking area for MC and a driving area for the boat. A plus doing that way would allow elevators that make it appear that an area is filling with water to be used so I could have different water heights on the map.

The biggest problem I see is making the boats have a somewhat proper physics model. I was going to make it so when you get out of a seat on the boat it places you standing on a certain part of it so you can just jump off and not fall into the water.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Why not make the banshee floor height min/max the same. Then just make some water at that level and vola. Boat.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

Gavity Lifts or Banshee barrier edits aren't required.

What you can do is dupe yourself a Warthog and move it's wheel markers down about maybe 3 units.
So the actual contact points the "Boat" will rest on is actually several units below the boat, so none of that shallow water BS.
This also prevents other ground vehicles....and players...and obstacles....and everything else from "Floating" on the water.

You can then place a death barrier just above the "Sea Floor" so that when a player/player controlled vehicle plummet into the water, then die but it will not affect the Boat since the Boat vehicle is above the death barrier.

Also by using the Warthog as the base vehicle, it has steering and wheel rotation so you will have support for rudder and propeller animations.
You can also still use the normal Warthog and won't have to worry about it being a "Jesus Hog" driving over the water and since you aren't changing any aircraft barriers, the banshee is still functional.

The major downside however is that the Sea Floor has to be perfectly flat at all points.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
neodos

Post by neodos »

You can also use a specific lift or which you can define its size (xyz) and make it low gravity with some smooth "shaking" rather like sea waving and that it only effects vehicles if you want (or players/ and or and/or vehicles and/or blocs etc)
Could help you with that if you want a lift.
Remnant Samurai

Post by Remnant Samurai »

I like Grims idea sounds the most simplest. Could also make the water death zones?
socrates

Post by socrates »

any of you remember GTA Vice City, "cars drive on water" ...
Aqua-Hog would be so BA like that lol
(rotating wheel models so it looks like they face into water [like hover fans or something] and adjust their rotations etc. so it turns weird like it would in that scenario)
Gary

Post by Gary »

I say that we use DS's method and maybe I'll make a boat model... in spare time... if there is nothing else to do.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Gjsdeath wrote:I say that we use DS's method and maybe I'll make a boat model... in spare time... if there is nothing else to do.
DemonicSandwich is probably the best idea since it has a good explanation and diagram. It made the most sense to me. I could see this working out well. As for the boat model, he has that covered already. But he does need to trim down the poly count.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Well, there has to be more then one boat right?
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Somebody remodel the Elephant, remove the treads, add some engine at the back, and voila. Boat model.
socrates

Post by socrates »

XD edited covie vehicles would do good, maybe even a pelican with some changes, but for instance the seraph could look like a speedboat
(I think seraph is the one I'm thinking of)
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

Neodos method = cool.

What happens if you flip the boat that uses wheels? :It falls right into the water on it's side, never to be seen again.

What happens if you flip the boat with the specific lifts? :It floats, ya' know, ...like a boat?
Zieon Eslador (1:23:09 AM): I haven't seen Watchmen, but I plan to eventually...
NotZachary (1:23:15 AM): it has nukes, random things happening, and retards screaming
NotZachary (1:23:19 AM): kinda like MW2
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

use the water from zanzabar and use will have a tide/surf.
Heres a pic of a begining to a boat, that i may never use.
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

Thats looks like a mighty big boat, is it supposed to be the whole map? O.O
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

Yes, well actually there were going to be 3, and they were going to be docked side by side with the dock being a playable area as well. All were going to be spawned over lifts.
But im so consumed by my NMC map that it prolly wont be completed.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

You know, the warthog and scorpion do have nice boat shapes to their hulls. If I scale things right I should have some semi decent phomo.
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

Well the majority of the boat will be underwater...so really a quick phmo edit could be a big block.

Now this map, will it be played on the boat, or in it as well?
[TT]

Post by [TT] »

you miss well make a pirate ship might be big enough for the whole map if used in gemini lol
[Contact Me]
[color=#008000]Grimdoomer[/color] wrote: Firts we need to have a purpose for this app