XZodia
Staff

Re: [Project] Christmas In The Park [Working Title]

Post by XZodia »

Hogz
Attachments
Snow Hog.zip
(529.55 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

I'm thinking of a 1024x1024 instead of an animated sky since that would be quite a strain on the game... If I'm wrong about that then I'll start working on an animated one.
Zieon Eslador (1:23:09 AM): I haven't seen Watchmen, but I plan to eventually...
NotZachary (1:23:15 AM): it has nukes, random things happening, and retards screaming
NotZachary (1:23:19 AM): kinda like MW2
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

Zieon Eslador wrote:I'm thinking of a 1024x1024 instead of an animated sky since that would be quite a strain on the game... If I'm wrong about that then I'll start working on an animated one.
The "strain" that would happen would depend upon size, format, and number of submaps the bitmap has.
For example, do you think an animated bitmap with a size of 128x128 pixels and 40 submaps would be strainful?
Not at all because it takes sixty four 128x128 bitmaps to make just one 1024x1024 bitmap.

You could do the 1024x as plan B, and once you have that you could try for an animated sky.
That way if the "animated sky" plan fails, you still have the high res sky to fall back on.
You can find high res bitmaps here.

And depending on what in particular you're trying to animate there might be more than one way to go about it.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

But a 128x128 sky would look terrible... Would it not?

*Wait, I just remembered, Coagulation has multiple small bitmaps that make up it's sky doesn't it? I could just edit and animate those...
Zieon Eslador (1:23:09 AM): I haven't seen Watchmen, but I plan to eventually...
NotZachary (1:23:15 AM): it has nukes, random things happening, and retards screaming
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

Zieon Eslador wrote:But a 128x128 sky would look terrible... Would it not?

*Wait, I just remembered, Coagulation has multiple small bitmaps that make up it's sky doesn't it? I could just edit and animate those...
There are other issues than bitmap size. The animation of a bitmap relys on the shader's template. The animation shaders use a bitfferent template and I doubt they would look right being used in the sky. Mainly because they have poor transparency support.
They allow parts of the bitmap to be either 100% transparent or 0% transparent while a sky shader supports the full range.

If you're just doing the moving clouds you could just have it be scenery or machinery with a sky shader and the object just moves itself.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
Zieon Eslador

Post by Zieon Eslador »

I am having a ton of trouble with the animated sky. So, with inspiration from the clouds outside I might go with this.

Criticizing is fine if you tell me why it's bad.