Mutation Src + Halo 2 idb

Post here basically any programming material that will help other programmers out.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Mutation Src + Halo 2 idb

Post by Grimdoomer »

The time has finally come to release this. Halo 2 was one of the best things that had ever happened to me. It brought me countless hours of joy and entertainment throughout my youth, and it put me on the path to learning everything I know about programming today. Without this game god only knows where I would be today. When I first started this project I wanted to create the ultimate content creation tool so that I could spend even more hours creating mods and get more out of this game than anyone had ever done so before. But I've come to realize today that this project is never getting finished, and it is something that will haunt me for the rest of my life. But I guess some things are just better left undone.

In this rar are the contents of the hdd mutation sits on. It contains the current (non-functioning) source code as well as multiple source backups I had made throughout its development. The current source code is capable of importing tags from other projects, but when I last touched it I was in the middle of writing code to explode the sound_diagnostics tag at decompile time, and rebuilding it at compile time from the sound tags. So in its current state it will not work for anything, if it even compiles without errors. I would check the last source backup to see if it can import tags, since it could prove useful to some people. I would also like to say that this project is the result of many years of work, coding styles, and ideas. It is a mess and does not reflect my current coding ability. My only request is that if you choose to do anything to Mutation and release it, please release it under another name with credit to the mutation source code. I have a vision in my head of what Mutation could have been and I would like for that vision to not be destroyed.

I am also uploading my halo 2 IDA idb file. It contains all of the reverse engineering work I had done on halo 2 and may prove (somewhat or possibly not at all) useful to anyone interested in that sort of thing. It was made with IDA 5.5 iirc.
I would like to say thank you to the following people for helping me learn, answering questions or just providing a good conversation: -DeToX-, JacksonCougar, DemonicSandwich, XZodia, Aumaan Anubis, OwnZ joO, Kornman, neodos, DoorM4n, Tural, NotZachary, Prey, Darkshallfall, DrXThirst, Kibito87, MrMurder, T Beezie, RockyMods, Pokecancer, Xbox7887, DarkMetal, SpecOp44, Shade45, Turk645, Zone117x, SoldierofLite, TrueLife, SnakeJKnight, kevinlodweyck, Anthony, TheSwampFox, rain, XUI, Jefff, ExileLord, and the 30 or so other people I know I am missing.

Mutation
Halo 2 IDA idb
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
KIWIDOGGIE

Re: Mutation Src + Halo 2 idb

Post by KIWIDOGGIE »

SADFACE
:(
99% Of the Xbox Scene are retards.
Xbox Scene wrote:All Hail Jester!
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

It looks as if another one bites the dust. Real sad day indeed Grim. You were a great friend and it's even more amazing, the things I have been able to say I saw you accomplish. I wish you nothing but the best in your future workings and programming. And many thanks for posting this information up for grabs. I will see to it that it is put up on the file server here at Remanant.
jlddodger

Post by jlddodger »

Wow. I am definitely disappointed. I am still interested in this program. I don't have lots of time to spend, but I am a distance programmer not a sprinter.

I have downloaded a looked over the source code. Everything looks great except that I cannot do anything without an $800 license from DevExpress. I have started the long process of converting from DevExpress controls to basic WinForms or open source controls. I cannot test much without getting the code otherwise compiling so I am chunking the forms into test programs as best possible.

I don't know if that is going to be a road block or not.

Do you have any advice on unhooking from DevExpress or a good place to get a "really good" deal on a DevExpress license (legal of course)?
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

I haven't looked too deeply into the code(I did look at it shortly after he released it though), but I would imagine it's not that hard to change from DevExpress controls to windows forms ones. Just use the find and replace features of Visual Studio to find DevExpress.Controls.TextBox or whatever it is named(I don't even know the namespace) in the Forms.Designer class and replace it with System.Windows.Forms.TextBox and then fix all the error messages when you try to build. Most of the controls are drop in replacements that look prettier and have a few extra features, but usually not too many changed properties.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

OwnZ joO wrote:I haven't looked too deeply into the code(I did look at it shortly after he released it though), but I would imagine it's not that hard to change from DevExpress controls to windows forms ones. Just use the find and replace features of Visual Studio to find DevExpress.Controls.TextBox or whatever it is named(I don't even know the namespace) in the Forms.Designer class and replace it with System.Windows.Forms.TextBox and then fix all the error messages when you try to build. Most of the controls are drop in replacements that look prettier and have a few extra features, but usually not too many changed properties.
Actually the DevExpress controls are coded very differently. The property names and functions associated with them are very different from the stock ones and are both unique and annoying as hell to figure out. If you add a reference to the DevExpress control dlls found in the mutation beta you should be able to compile. If that does not work then you can download the DevExpress windows forms gui elements trial, which is what I used then cracked them at release time. Although they have updated their controls since so you will have to re-add all the references to DevExpress controls. I would advise against trying to recode the gui elements with stock controls as it will not be as simple as you would think. DevExpress controls are designed in a mind fuckingly retarded way, and it was a pain in the ass to even figure out how they work, nevermind create what I had in mind.
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

Grimdoomer wrote: Actually the DevExpress controls are coded very differently. The property names and functions associated with them are very different from the stock ones and are both unique and annoying as hell to figure out. If you add a reference to the DevExpress control dlls found in the mutation beta you should be able to compile. If that does not work then you can download the DevExpress windows forms gui elements trial, which is what I used then cracked them at release time. Although they have updated their controls since so you will have to re-add all the references to DevExpress controls. I would advise against trying to recode the gui elements with stock controls as it will not be as simple as you would think. DevExpress controls are designed in a mind fuckingly retarded way, and it was a pain in the ass to even figure out how they work, nevermind create what I had in mind.
I agree
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Well I stand corrected, that's pretty fucking stupid. I mean I can understand adding fields that do not exist in the controls they're mimicking, but changing names and the other shenanigans is just plain dumb.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

I spent more time trying to figure those things out then I did actually developing the gui elements. There were a few cases for example with their TreeView, where it was just too much to try and get it to work the way I wanted so I just used the stock TreeView. They are nice looking, but thats all they have going for them.
rentreg

Post by rentreg »

you were one of the more ambitious modders on this site. often making apps to encourage our input. sad to see you throw in the towel :(
Most users ever online was 152 on March 16th, 2012, 7:02 am
what happened on March 16th, 2012 at 7:02 am? 0_o
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Semester ends soon and I'm almost done with my last xbox 360 project so idk what I will be doing in my time, maybe I will pick this back up idk.
jlddodger

Post by jlddodger »

Hmmm... well I certainly don't want to steal your project, I don't see any harm in working with the program while you are busy with other things. I am still exploring feasibility but I plan on disconnecting any non-free dependencies while maintaining as much functionality as possible. If successful, it should be easier for any community member to contribute to the project without worrying about licencing or cracking proprietary assemblies.

It may not be as pretty though.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Do what ever your heart pleases, but if you release anything, call it something different.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Grim, would you mind re-posting your IDB file. I want to look into the font layout more internally.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

troymac1ure wrote:Grim, would you mind re-posting your IDB file. I want to look into the font layout more internally.
Nothing I have labeled in the IDB will help you.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Grimdoomer wrote:
troymac1ure wrote:Grim, would you mind re-posting your IDB file. I want to look into the font layout more internally.
I doubt that as I haven't used IDA much and can't even get it to recognize (or manually input) an Entry Point. I've found the font strings I need, but there doesn't seem to be references to it. I need to look at the code more in general and find my way around IDA a bit more first I think.
Back when I used assembly there wre alot of Int 10h, Int 21h and so on. Need to get used to all the windows stuff this way. Man I'm old :lol:
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

troymac1ure wrote:
Grimdoomer wrote:
I doubt that as I haven't used IDA much and can't even get it to recognize (or manually input) an Entry Point. I've found the font strings I need, but there doesn't seem to be references to it. I need to look at the code more in general and find my way around IDA a bit more first I think.
Back when I used assembly there wre alot of Int 10h, Int 21h and so on. Need to get used to all the windows stuff this way. Man I'm old :lol:
You are loading it wrong. IDA has a built in xbe loader module, you should only have to open the xbe and IDA will do the rest.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

I think the free version is too limited (v5.0)
supersniper

Post by supersniper »

Hey does anyone still have these 2 files? They would be very helpful for us at Project Cartographer.

Also is anyone is interested in helping us out hop on board.