Porting PC game to Xbox Original?

Discuss anything programming related.
cain532

Porting PC game to Xbox Original?

Post by cain532 »

So, I've been looking on the internet for a little bit, but I can't find a credible tutorial anywhere. Does anybody know how to port over a PC game to Xbox original? I understand it takes a lot of work, and a working source of the original game. (as well as a working knowledge of direct x programming :) )
Click16

Re: Porting PC game to Xbox Original?

Post by Click16 »

This is possible?
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Well if you have the source code yea...but its not something a tutorial can tell you how to do...
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
cain532

Post by cain532 »

Yeah, I've been poking around the source code for RTCW for a bit, and can't quite make heads or tails of it, is there anybody who has ported games over before and could provide me with a bit of insight?
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

cain532 wrote:Yeah, I've been poking around the source code for RTCW for a bit, and can't quite make heads or tails of it, is there anybody who has ported games over before and could provide me with a bit of insight?
If you have no idea what the first thing to do is when it comes to this then it 100% is not for you. Don't mean to get your hopes down but this is way beyond your current level and you are only wasting your time.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
cain532

Post by cain532 »

If you have no idea what the first thing to do is when it comes to this then it 100% is not for you. Don't mean to get your hopes down but this is way beyond your current level and you are only wasting your time.
Appreciate the insight, however if I don't start from somewhere, how am I to learn? Maybe I did get a little overly ambitious with this particular project, but maybe there is a better place for me to start at so I can build myself up to this? I'd really like to broaden my horizons and figure out how to do this.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

You're trying to do Calculus before you learn how to add and subtract. There are so many things that go into porting a game that I don't know where to begin to explain all that you would need to take into account. I would recommend getting a book on programming if you're interested in programming. I don't really have any that I recommend, but I would suggest learning Java or C# as your first language, although a scripting language like perl or python might be a good option as well.
cain532

Post by cain532 »

@Ownz joO

Thanks for the advice :) I'll go and start learning C# because I've had a touch of experience with it in the past (editing some PS2 homebrew applicatioins, never made any myself, just poked around )