Modeling - Proper UV UW/UV Mapping and Injection W/ Entity

Post your tutorials here, and if decided so, they will be moved to the 'Tutorials' forum.
Click16

Modeling - Proper UV UW/UV Mapping and Injection W/ Entity

Post by Click16 »

Hello and Welcome to my tutorial on how to UV Unwrap, UV Map, And inject into a Halo 2 Map with Entity.

To successfully complete my tutorial you will need the following:

3Ds Max
Photoshop
Entity 1.3.9 / Entity Ultimate Edition 1.6
Milkshape 3D
Max 1 Texporter
Max 2 Texporter
Max 3 Texporter
Max 4 Texporter
Max 5 Texporter
Max 6 Texporter
Max 7 Texporter
Max 8 Texporter
Max 9 32x Texporter
Max 9 64x Texporter

^^^ Download the correct version of Texporter corresponding to the version of 3ds Max that you have and install it to the correct directory! (I have 3ds max 7 and 3ds max 9)

Lets get started!

1. Open your model in 3ds max.
2. If your model is saved as a .max or a .char, save it as an obj (trust me, this will allow you to UVW correctly.)

NOTE: If your .Max or .Char file has more then one item then you cant UV them together. exporting as a .obj fixes the problem (as long as in import as a single item.)

It will transform your model from this:
Into This:

3. Go to the 'Modify' Tab to the right in 3ds max. In the 'Modifier List' select 'Unwrap UVW'.
Pic:

4. Click the Edit button and a window will pop up.
If you have 3ds max 9 then you have to select the folowing:

Now go to Mapping>Normal Mapping
Select a UV Mapping method that you like and you can customize it using a method that i will show you how to use.

This is a video that will tell you how to Break the UV (Download if you want to)

Download Here

Close the UV unwrap window.

6. Click the 'Utilities' tab and click the 'More' Button. a small window will pop up. scroll through until you see the 'Texporter.'
7. In the right panel, scroll through until you see the image size. Set the image size to one in halo (256, 512, 123, 64, etc.)
8. Press the 'Pick Object' Button and select your model in one of the view ports.
9. When the window showing your UV Map shows up, press the button at the top that looks like a Floppy Disk.
10. Save it wherever as a .bmp
11. In 3ds max, press the 'M' button on your keyboard, and it will take you take you to the materials. If you know how, link the saved bitmap with the model. If not then Download this video tutorial.

Download Here

12. Now use Photoshop to UV map the model.

Mine went from this:

To this:

13. Now save the bitmap.

Injection with Entity

1. Open your map in Entity.
2. Select a bitmap in entity that matches the size of your bitmap that you texported.
3. Duplicate it (if your using Entity 1.3.9, then name it whatever)
4. In Photoshop, flip the bitmap vertical. Check the file format of the bitmap in entity and use photoshop to save it in the .dds and correct format (Example: DXT 5)
5. Inject the bitmap.

6. OPTIONAL: Inject Dark's shader that fixes some model problems.
With 3ds still open, Export it as an .3DS format and open in Milkshape 3D.
7. In Entity, Select the model that you want to be replaced and export it.
8. In Milkshape 3D, make sure that the bottom view of the model is the model facing to your right (barrel of the gun is pointing right.) And export as a .obj over all of the models that you exported in entity.
9. In Entity, with the model still selected, click the blue + sign and select Import Meshes and locate your model.

If steps 2 - 9 where a bit confusing then this video will help.
Last edited by Click16 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Re: Modeling - Proper UV UW/UV Mapping and Injection W/ Entity

Post by DemonicSandwich »

There is a texporter already built into 3Ds.
Its in the "Edit UVWs" window under the "Tools" window. You hit "Render UV" and enter your needed specs...
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

If ur doing something that involves going from a dif format to OBJ, then what u need to do is go into the modifier list and select UVW Map, then Unwrap UVW, then click the Edit box, do the Flatten Mapping, also u should include the different angles in flatten mapping, some weapons r best done with a lesser or greater angle value ;)
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

DemonicSandwich wrote:There is a texporter already built into 3Ds.
Its in the "Edit UVWs" window under the "Tools" window. You hit "Render UV" and enter your needed specs...
the textporter shows different areas of the gun. like the red is overlapping, green is one side, purple is another side.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

xxpenguinxx wrote:
the textporter shows different areas of the gun. like the red is overlapping, green is one side, purple is another side.
O really?

SMG third person model.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

EDIT: CLICK STOP USING MY ACCOUNT TO POST STUFF
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.