~How To become a GREAT Modeler~

Post your tutorials here, and if decided so, they will be moved to the 'Tutorials' forum.
Click16

~How To become a GREAT Modeler~

Post by Click16 »

Now There are complicated or easy ways of modeling. Depends on how you look at it.
These methods are:

Box Modeling - Using any modeling program to create a 3D Figure and edit it to the liking.

Plane Modeling - A complicated method of modeling, creating planes and extruding them to the liking.

Edit Modeling - Taking a already-made model and editing it the the liking.

Now these methods are going to be explained and sampled in the following text and video.

These are ways of modeling for Halo 2. The best to use is the 'Plane Modeling' because it uses very little number of vertexes.
(I don't know if 'vertexes' is the correct plural of vertex.) allowing quick injection and using little vertexes means lower number of faces. That will make your model not glitch as much.

Enjoy!!!

Section One - Box Modeling

1. Requires a simple modeling program. Such as Misfit Model 3D

2. Requires little or no skill in modeling but to perfect, it takes practice.

3. Needs a good aspect or idea of what is being modeled.

Video RAR Download - How To Box Model

Section 2 - Edit Modeling

1. Requires any modeling program such as 3Ds Max, Milkshape 3D, Misfit Model 3D.

2. Requires some skill in modeling.

3. Need to know what your possibilities are of editing a already-made model.

Example:

Don't change the rocket launcher into a rifle and still has the appearance of the rocket launcher.

Video RAR Download - How To Edit Model

Section 2 - Plane Modeling

1. Requires any version of 3Ds Max.

2. Requires advanced skills in modeling.

3. Need some understanding on light effects on a picture so you can see whats rounded. Also you need a good, clear picture of a weapon to model.

Video RAR Download - How To Plane Model

Thanks and Goodbye!
DarkShallFall

Re: ~How To become a GREAT Modeler~

Post by DarkShallFall »

You sound like your 5 -_-. You should have done spline modeling, guess I'll have to :P
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

If you don't mind, here is my input on modeling... :D :D

I use CATIA to model my stuff, to anybody who wants to get into modeling and has "access" to the expensive stuff, i would suggest starting off with something like AutoCAD 2008, (2004 is very nice if u can find it). In AutoCAD u can make simple things like a 2D drawing basically drawing a box with the LINE function. The AutoCAD format which is DWG can be imported into 3ds Max and exported as OBJ ;) AutoCAD is how i started my modeling "career".

Now i use CATIA which is a whole lot different than AutoCAD, but in a very good way, in CATIA, u can edit anything u want basically. To further describe this, i would have to take some screenshot and show you how this is done.

Ok, so whats the difference between something AutoCAD and something like CATIA, with ACAD you draw a 2D sketch and use a 3D function such as extrude, revolve, etc to make it 3D, but once the 2D sketch/3D solid is made, its not very ediable, you will most likely have to either delete it and size it by using another solid and sutracting (cutting) pieces out which can be a pain. :? But this is the way a starting modeler would go.

In CATIA the process is very different, actually ultimately different. In CATIA u start off in a "workbench", i use Part Design Workbench (Fig.1) for my models. Once im in PDW, there are a number of things i have at my fingertips, the most important one IMO is i already have pre-created planes on my axes (XYZ), i have the XY, YZ, and XZ planes (Fig.2), i can click (select) a plane and start a "sketch" right onto that (Fig.3), a sketch is in 2D, here is where you can start off your model design. To draw a simple box for a model, in sketcher, you would make the 2D drawing, a square (Fig.4), apply your contraints (Fig.5) (which is distances, angles, tangencies, parallelisms, etc.), then exit the sketcher and now your back in PDW, now in PDW, you would use the Pad (extrude) function (Fig.6) and make your box (Fig.7). Now here is what is the coolest thing ever, in CATIA and most high-end modelling programs, there is a thing called a "Specification Tree" (Fig.8), this is where you can go back and edit just about anything u want, from the extrusion distance, to the actual sketch (i could go back and make that square a triangle, exit, then the pad would re-pad and make it an extuded triangle).

Well thats just a taste of how i do models in CATIA :p

Also you can create you sketches, not just on a plane, but on surfaces and edges too :D

Sry click, hope i didnt steal your topic, just giving my CATIA modeling input :D

Fig.1
Fig.2
Fig.3
Fig.4
Fig.5
Fig.6
Fig.7
Fig.8

PS. Just so everyone knows, CATIA is meant for making parts and stuff, such as car, computer, etc., its not exactly intended for Halo 2 modeling, but i do anyways :XP:
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Darkshallfall wrote:You sound like your 5 -_-. You should have done spline modeling, guess I'll have to :P
GRRR! :x :x :x :evil: GRRR >_< i sound like im 5????

I will show you 5!

Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

LMFAO!! :XD: :XD:
Click16

Post by Click16 »

im dying
of laughter!

Dark i know your holding it in =] :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :XD: :XD: :XD:
DarkShallFall

Post by DarkShallFall »

Gay.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

i didn't even exhale a breathe of air. what is so funny?
Darkshallfall wrote:Gay.
indeed.

IMO, i don't think there's really a tutorial that can teach you how to become a GREAT modeler. besides, this one is incomplete. you left out about 40 different things. ... :? >_>
Click16

Post by Click16 »

This tutorial was just a tutorial for starters. its sole purpose was to just teach simple, but great ways of modeling.

i understand why you guys say that there are many ways, but I'm just telling simple ways for a starter to get an idea of what the possibilities of of modeling and what to model are. :( :( :( :(

I guess i shouldn't have wasted 3 hours of my day trying to help people.
DarkShallFall

Post by DarkShallFall »

Also for the next tutorial you make, don't fucking yell at your cat half the god damn time >_>.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Darkshallfall wrote:Also for the next tutorial you make, don't fucking yell at your cat half the god damn time >_>.
:XD: :XD: :XD:
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

Gotta do something so they all stay awake watching a boring ass tutorial video :p
Click16

Post by Click16 »

my cats an idiot

she was bothering me

sorry =P :XD: