How to Use Onyx (Beta 2)

Post your tutorials here, and if decided so, they will be moved to the 'Tutorials' forum.
Click16

How to Use Onyx (Beta 2)

Post by Click16 »

I have been given permission by DarkShallFall to create this tutorial. I must thank him a lot for his time, help, and effort that went into Onyx Beta 2 and the first one.

If you don't have a copy of Onyx, Click Here this link.

Here is the SLC Fixed Patch

Understanding Onyx.
If you open onyx, you will notice he added the 3d studio part to the main form. Along with a couple of other controls, the main one we will be messing with is the scenario chunks, the collision box the scenario chunk references, and 3d studio parts.

That picture shows you how the objects are calculated. Now we are going to make a replica of the map in 3ds Max.

Replicating Onyx Map

Before you read: I will put the replica up for download. It will be in the 3D Studio Mesh file format (*.3ds).

1) I am going to extract the Plane model from the Onyx Map.
2) I am going to import it into 3ds Max. It has to also be rotated. I will rotate it on its axis so the top view is facing you.
3) I am going to take the Z value from the Scenario to find where it should be in 3ds.

Put that as the Z value in 3ds

Image Too Large

That should give you the correct position and Size reference for the Onyx Map.

Building your Map

Yesterday, I had Dark help me with this. Although it was fairly easy, it was a lot of useful information. Go ahead and add your building / structure you will like to construct. (Merge or Import) Also make sure that it is the EXACT version you imported into Onyx or your results won't be correct. Also open the Onyx map in Onyx beta 2.

Be sure that the structure is clear of the starting point (Middle of the plane.) This is so you can spawn.

Create a box over the areas that need collision. Be sure the create the box in the Top view port. Freeze the structure and the plane. the box should be the only thing you should be editing.

Move the box up into the area where you are constructing the map. Use the Length, Height, and Width settings to change the size of the box around. Do NOT use the Scale tool. If you use it, your length, width, and height settings will be screwed up and not matched.

When your box is completed in 3ds Max, its time to copy the values into Onyx. Use the move tool and look at the bottom for the position values. For the length width and height values, look in the modify tab, and for rotation, use the rotate tool and look at the bottom values. By repeating this process you will end up with good results. Though some small things may need to be changed. If so, use basic knowledge to figure out where they need to go. Most issues are on the Z axis. Here are my results.

And here it is completed, no visible outlines, with the scenery object injected.