Adding Maps to the Main Menu

Post your tutorials here, and if decided so, they will be moved to the 'Tutorials' forum.
Click16

Adding Maps to the Main Menu

Post by Click16 »

What If you want to add a map to the Main Menu and that map you want to use exists on the main menu already. It's not like if you change the name it will work different. You need to use this method. I had trouble with this myself. Many of you who might at one point need to add a map to the main menu and end up like I did. Use this tutorial to teach you how to do it.

This is for people who are new to modding.

Requirements:
Prey's MenuMenuMenu
Entity (Or any other map resigner)
ADI 2.0
Hex Workshop

Download all requirements in an archive Here
I do not take credit for the applications in this archive!

First, back up your map. Rename your map to anything you like. I will rename bevercreek to keercreveb. (It's bevercreek backwards :wink: )

Second, we need to change the internal name and scenario. To do that, open the map in Hex Workshop.
Change the internal name to whatever name you renamed it to. If it is longer then the original name, you will need to stop where the name ends. Do the same for the scenario path beneath the internal name. Replace the map name and stop it where it ends. Copy the scenario path to the clipboard. Save and Exit when you are done.

Now open your map in ADI. Find the scenario. Click it once, wait a second, and click it again. It will allow you to rename it. Just paste the scenario path you copied from the Hex Editor.

Open your map in Entity (Or any other map resigner) And just press "Sign."

Next open your main menu with MenuMenuMenu. Go to Multiplayer and select an empty map slot. Choose "Unlocked" Type the name of your new map, and the description.

In the "Internal" section, type the name of the map, the scenario, and the description again. Click Generate Values, and set it to however many teams you want. Don't select 1 Team.

You could also change the image if you like. Click Save All and resign.

Now all you need to do is send the map to the xbox, and your ready to go!
activebomber

Re: Adding Maps to the Main Menu

Post by activebomber »

Click16 wrote:Second, we need to change the internal name and scenario. To do that, open the map in Hex Workshop.
That part isnt nessecary. All you have to do is rename the map, and add mm slots or edit existing slots.

It was the same in H1.

I think you are just overcomplicating it with that extra step.

Other than that, great tut.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

well, some programs will display the internal name. (Ch2R is an example) and it makes it easier. If you want Bevercreek and some other version of bevercreek, you need to change the scenario so you can load the other one btw... Thats the point of the tutorial.
activebomber

Post by activebomber »

Click16 wrote:well, some programs will display the internal name. (Ch2R is an example) and it makes it easier. If you want Bevercreek and some other version of bevercreek, you need to change the scenario so you can load the other one btw... Thats the point of the tutorial.

You are correct sir. I just didn't think anyone uses chr2.
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

Click16 wrote:If you want Bevercreek and some other version of bevercreek, you need to change the scenario so you can load the other one btw... Thats the point of the tutorial.
That's not true. The only thing you need different to load different versions of beavercreak is the ability to change the file name.

In fact if I recall the game engine doesn't even load the internal map name or file table.
Those strings in the header have no function beyond user reference as with tag names.
So changing them will have no effect on adding an additional map slot.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Hmm... Never knew that.. I did that so it wouldnt be able to interfere... The internal name might be necessary because I have used Ch2R and found that when you open a map, it displays its internal name. I had 2 gemini's listed not knowing which is which.

What about the maps scenario (the one you rename with ADI) Dont you have to link it to that scenario so it loads correctly?
socrates

Post by socrates »

nope, sorta like renaming bevercreek to lockout, if it overwrites your current lockout....the bevercreek will load in place of lockout..no complications.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

Um click, I could of sworn you added maps to the mainmenu before remnant mods was even created and you didn't even know about the internal name then. But I can say doing those extra steps does help with organization a bit.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

I think you need to rename the internal name in order for menumenumenu to have it named something else in the main menu(so you don't have 2 slots named beavercreak in your menu). I could be wrong though, it might just go off of the filename.

Also, if you don't rename the scenario(which is fairly pointless), then you don't need to resign the renamed map, even if you change the internal name because it's before the end of the header. Like everyone's been saying, the internal name is not necessary. A lot of the strings in the maps are not necessary for the game engine. Obviously it has to have some strings to display text on screen, but a lot of them are for reference for developers.