Proper Shader Duplication or Creation

Post your tutorials here, and if decided so, they will be moved to the 'Tutorials' forum.
Click16

Proper Shader Duplication or Creation

Post by Click16 »

Now most of you will see this and think "another one of click's useless tutorials..." But think again! Some shaders will refuse to be duplicated using any version of Entity. Well Using some previous knowledge, I came up with a working solution. This tutorial is more pointed toward the newer users... Those without much experience modding.

Notes before we get started:
• Some shaders will look like they get duplicated correctly in Entity, it will show the rename box and it will say "Done" but it still may break your map. I've done that enough times to the point where I was about to throw my PC out the window! *Exaggeration*
• This is perfect if your trying to duplicate UI shaders.
• If you're as fed up with this crap as much as I am, this tutorial will be perfect for you.

Requirements:
Insolence v1
Any version of Entity (Search for it *hint* *hint*)
updated [ndht] Plug-In
Function Color Editor Only use if you plan on changing Function Colors.
Any other map that you can access your shader you want duplicated

Lets get started!

Section 1 - Creating or Duplication your Shader

1. Open both your map and the other map you can access your shader in Insolence. (probably shared, but it wont open in Insolence.)
2. Go to the other map that you can access your shader map. We will call it the "shader map." Go to the shader you want duplicated and double click it. Once its loaded you want to right click the tag and press "Rename."
3. Rename it anything you want. But be sure to remember its original name. Because I'm using my shader for HUD purposes, I will call mine "ui\hud\shaders\widget_gradient_flash_tutorial."
4. Once its done renaming and refreshes the map, go to the tag and double click it once more. Now go to the [shad] Tag class on your map, drag and drop the renamed shader to your map.
5. Back in your shader map, rename the shader back to normal. My shader was originally called "ui\shaders\widget_gradient_flash"
6. Close out of both maps and exit Insolence

Section 2 - Linking your Duplicated or Created Shader to whatever it is you want

1. Open your map with the new shader in Entity.
2. Link the shader to anything you need. (weapon or object model, HUD, .etc)
3. If you want to link it to HUD, then you need to open the object's HUD you want to edit. (Master Chief, Dervish, Weapons, .etc)
4. If its a model, then you have to go to the models tag and replace the shaders with your shaders. Easily done with the Idents view. Unless you prefer the meta editor! :wink:

I will use the shader for my Motion sensor Background.

Section 3- Optional - Changing the Function Color of your Shader

1. Open your map in JacksonCougar's Function Color Editor and find your shader.
2. Edit the colors of your shader until you get something you like.
3. Sign the map and test it out!

Here is a picture of my results

Credits -

Creators of Insolence
Creators of Entity
JacksonCougar for his awesome FCE Application!
Others who helped me with some duplication errors

Prefer Video tutorials? Click Here

Thanks
socrates

Re: Proper Shader Duplication or Creation

Post by socrates »

nicely done.. i never even thought about messing with ui's and stuff like this.i might try a few things now
Click16

Post by Click16 »

socrates wrote:nicely done.. i never even thought about messing with ui's and stuff like this.i might try a few things now
thanks. Its actually quite fun and simple if your not afraid to break things to mess around! A lot of things are found accidentally. I know that you use this method for proper effect duplication so i thought "Maybe this would work with UI Shaders" so i tried it and what do ya know? it works!

Even though there hasnt been any negative comments yet, lets try to avoid them. If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it. If you experience any trouble with this tutorial, PM me or hit me up on AIM. I will be happy to help you get through your troubles.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

<_< I'll just make a better app then I can pretend this ever happened.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

JacksonCougar wrote:<_< I'll just make a better app then I can pretend this ever happened.
:| ugh... ok.... w/e
Gary

Post by Gary »

Its ok, hes never happy towards you...
Good tutorial, well written and put out.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

heh thanks. :)
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

You can also use ADI to rename the tag but you can't make the tag name longer, then I open the map in entity and I extract the shader and then build it to another map. You can also do this with effects but insolence corrupts sounds so I tend to stick with entity when transferring the tag.

Really you can use this method to duplicate any tag as close to proper as possible (for now).
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
Alph

Post by Alph »

I've never had problems with Shader Duplication, but then again, I avoid Entity as much as possible. I always use DotHalo. It does the trick just fine and I am usually able to make whatever shader I need, be it one with reflection maps, bump maps, illumination maps, or a combination of these.

Good tutorial, though. There are many who never venture outside of Entity when modding/skinning.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Dothalo? dothalo can duplicate tags??? !!! (Then again i never use dothalo so how would i know... lol)
Click16

Post by Click16 »

xxpenguinxx wrote:...You can also do this with effects ...
Click16 wrote:... I know that you use this method for proper effect duplication so i thought ...
:wink:
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

You could also do this with Entity.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

JacksonCougar wrote:You could also do this with Entity.
Would you like a slide show of glitches caused by duplicating stuff in entity? Then again 90% of them are just the map freezing.

No, but I would love the slideshow of people not understanding how entity works, that would be amusing.

*Off topic started*
Why do I feel like you've said that exact same thing before and that there is a very close thread just like this one?
*Off topic ended* (We hope)

I seem to get the least error's using entity 1.6 but I hate not being able to rename the tag. ADI and Insolence work good for that.
BTW, it takes too long to read the tut then to do what the tutorial says.

BTW, pictures in this case serve almost no purpose.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
Alph

Post by Alph »

Click16 wrote:Dothalo? dothalo can duplicate tags??? !!! (Then again i never use dothalo so how would i know... lol)
Whoops, my mistake. I honestly can't remember well... it's been well over a year since my last released mod. I just remember doing almost all of my skinning with dothalo.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

Alph wrote:
Click16 wrote:Dothalo? dothalo can duplicate tags??? !!! (Then again i never use dothalo so how would i know... lol)
Whoops, my mistake. I honestly can't remember well... it's been well over a year since my last released mod. I just remember doing almost all of my skinning with dothalo.
Besides, There are many different apps for many different uses!

Ch2r - ARGB 8888 Injection without error
Entity - Chunk Cloning and HUD Editing
DotHalo - Basic Editing
Insolence - Proper Duplication
ADI - Meta Editing and Tag renaming
Alph

Post by Alph »

Ch2r, depending on the version, is also a great skinning application.

Also, why has nobody but Aequitas developed a decent bump mapping program? Though his was never released, you could inject your bump maps as .png, .jpeg, .bmp, etc. The program would convert, internalize, and inject in about 1/2 second.

If somebody has some time, making this again would be great. I don't have the Aequitas program anymore.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Alph wrote:If somebody has some time, making this again would be great. I don't have the Aequitas program anymore.
Entity UE 1.6 injects bumpmaps just fine. Also, if Aequitas never released this injector, how did you get your hands on it in the first place? :|
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

NotZachary82 wrote:
Alph wrote:If somebody has some time, making this again would be great. I don't have the Aequitas program anymore.
Entity UE 1.6 injects bumpmaps just fine. Also, if Aequitas never released this injector, how did you get your hands on it in the first place? :|
Let alone know about it. I've never heard of such a tool. :|
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Was it UberBitmapTool? He mentioned that in his release of the "light" version of it.
Alph

Post by Alph »

Aequitas never released/finished his Uber Bitmap Tool. I greatly wish he did, but he lost interest after a while.

The application I speak of was his UBT: Normal (Normal standing for Normal Maps, naturally). I had my "hands" on it legitimately, so no worries there. Entity does a good job, but his was so much more practical.

Any programmers out there want to take a crack at it?
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

It may not be finished but it is released, but like OwnZ joO said there is a "Lite" release for it, I have it opened right now.
Alph

Post by Alph »

Uber Bitmap Tool is a comprehensive Halo 2 skinning tool. It involves texture extraction, injection, bump map extraction/injection, texture internalization, etc. What's more is it would allow you to inject textures as .png, .jpeg, and others, the program its self making the necessary conversions. Uber Bitmap Tool: Lite, though it bears the same UBT name, ONLY includes internalization, nothing more. UBT: Normal, like lite, does just what its name says: handles normal maps. It internalizes, extracts, and injects normal maps. Again, though it bears the UBT name, it is not the Uber Bitmap Tool of which I speak. I long for the day it may be released...
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

IMO, this off-topic discussion should end here. I don't think many people here care about an application that is non-public.

/discussion