The Ultimate BSP Conversion Tutorial!

This if for tutorials and information for the community to use for great works.
Keep them organized now!..

Good first tutorial?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 9

DrXThirst

Re: The Ultimate BSP Conversion Tutorial!

Post by DrXThirst »

Twinreaper wrote:Thirst, can you post a screen of what you get with the app....I may be able to help. Or if you wish.....tell me the bsp you need converted and I can send it over to you.
No offense, I'd just like to be able to do them myself.
It works PERFECTLY fine with the March release, but just not with the April release. I'll post a screenshot, hold up.

EDIT: I lied. I uploaded a video so that you can see what it does when I rebuild the map. It actually worked this time, but now it refuses to open into Entity's BSP viewer. :/
Anyways, here's the link to the video: [CLICK] I'm not sure how long it takes to process, it's a 720p (1280x720) HD video, so however long those take to process on YouTube. :)
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

It could be an error on my end. It's crashing while trying to load the sky.
Do you have a sky set or is it nulled?

EDIT: Looking at the code, it seems to be during the loading of fog (if any). Try rebuilding it without skies and see if that fixes it or try builing it into Headlong.
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

Thirst, first of all, you don't keep existing spawns on conversions. So uncheck that.

Second, make sure you decompile your base map second.

But I see where is is going wrong. It isn't writing the chorus sounds. That either means you didn't set the priority of the programs to realtime or it was just a bad dump.
DrXThirst

Post by DrXThirst »

troymac1ure wrote:It could be an error on my end. It's crashing while trying to load the sky.
Do you have a sky set or is it nulled?

EDIT: Looking at the code, it seems to be during the loading of fog (if any). Try rebuilding it without skies and see if that fixes it or try building it into Headlong.
I've tried in nearly all versions of Entity. So, it's not you. :)
Eaton wrote:Thirst, first of all, you don't keep existing spawns on conversions. So uncheck that.
Second, make sure you decompile your base map second.
But I see where is is going wrong. It isn't writing the chorus sounds. That either means you didn't set the priority of the programs to real-time or it was just a bad dump.
I will make a new video following this tutorial either later tonight or sometime tomorrow. :)
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

My only question is actually the solution......WHY ARE YOU USING THAT HORRIBLE VERSION?!!?!?!?! You should be using the 3.1.7 something one instead. It is the only one I have ever used, and thanks to that one, 3 of the unconvertable bsp's got done!
DrXThirst

Post by DrXThirst »

The one on the left?
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

4-2-07 is the best. It is the one used in this tutorial. Trust me, that is the only one I have had success with.
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

It seems to depend on your base map and the bsp being converted to tell you what H2C to use. Gemini and headlong refuse to load as a base map using the 4-2-07 while they work most of the time in the 3-3-07.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
DrXThirst

Post by DrXThirst »

Well, it seems that I can do any conversion using the March version of H2Core and the April version of H2G.
Does it take anyone else less than 15 seconds to rebuild a map? :X
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

DrXThirst wrote:Well, it seems that I can do any conversion using the March version of H2Core and the April version of H2G.
Does it take anyone else less than 15 seconds to rebuild a map? :X
Don't mix and match. Trust me on that.

What are your PC specs?

Here are mine:
DrXThirst

Post by DrXThirst »

Quad-Core i7 940 (2.93ghz w/HyperThreading)
6GB DDR3 Tri-Channel RAM (Not sure what type)
1 750GB HDD (XP/7 Partitions), 1 250GB HDD (storage)
ATI Radeon HD 4850 Graphics Card.
sabu

Post by sabu »

For a "Ultimate BSP Conversion Tutorial" you sure are missing some heavily important questions I need answered.
You take us all the way through the conversion all the way up to where it's actually working but, what about Scenery and Machines? After doing a sucsessful conversion, most of the scenery and machines are completely invisible with full collision. I was guessing for a long while that maybe the reason why the machines and scenery were not showing up was because of each unique index assigned to each machine/scenery needed to be changed, however they appear to all differ in numbers and that wasn't the problem. I would also like to know how team spawns work after we place the spartans where we want?

Sorry if the questions are straight forward but, I cant find one tutorial that explains the full aspects of a conversion... yet alone you cant even find one tutorial that pertains important side information that needs to be done in order to get a conversion up and running.
☆ Click my signature to navigate back to Remnantmods Board index. Made by sabu. ☆
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

I am not sure what you mean Sabu. There has never been one time at all that anything mach or scenery had it's shaders invalid, and hence became invisible. You also have to keep in mind, that when performing a conversion, you carry over every spawn from the map you are converting, except player spawns. As far as teams go, there really isn't much I can tell you.

A spawn zone for each team is invisible and usually has no visual placement. You have to edit that info manually once you have all your spawns re-placed on the map.

Any map that you mp convert, will load up off the bat without editing anything. Chances are, you will just spawn out of the map. There are rare occasions where having incorrect spawns will cause a black screen or freeze at lobby. But there really isnt anything else we can tell you on how to get the conversion running in game. You just have to go thru the map you converted and look for common sense values and things and make sure they all look correct.

Oh and Thirst, yes the 3-7-7 one is the one I use 100%. The 4.something one would never work on my pc no matter what map I used.
sabu

Post by sabu »

As far as the players... I think it's more understandable what you're saying because, we're just transfering over the SBSP and the spawns into that map... so the player spawns should already be adjusted, just move them into their correct places?

Anyways for the machines and scenery? it's a complete gonner on some maps, such as the one I was referring to in neados post, sentinal walls. I'm pretty sure it would work out for other maps but when I do conversions, there's no telling what you will be getting.
☆ Click my signature to navigate back to Remnantmods Board index. Made by sabu. ☆
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

So you are saying that after core has rwbuilt the conversion, that the new map you get is missing, messed up, or changed all the mach or scenery items? That is a strange error itself. The only real thing i can say to do is to make sure every scen and mach item in the map you are converting, has the right "bsp origin" value. Also after a conversion, sometimes you need to reopen the new map you got from the conversion and make sure that theg do not have any script referrence still located in "type" field in each one. Hopefully you know what I am talking about. If all else fails, it may be easier to completely decompile the sp map, and manually add the machs and scenery to the base maps scnr file. This is also the best way to add new chunks to a map.

If you like I can make the map conversion for you. I will just do a basic one containing all tje sp maps items. Just let me know which bsp in the sentinelwalls.map you want.
bumlove

Post by bumlove »

Thanks twinreaper I you helped me connect 2 things I kinda knew into 1 piece of information.
Oh DrXthirst has been absent for a while.
Xerax

Post by Xerax »

I have had no luck with this. I've tried 2 different BSP's, 3 diffrent MP maps, and each time H2C fails on compiling, also H2G crashes when i try to edit scripts.

I'm also adding AI into the map though, could anybody give me a hand? Thanks.
MTW wrote:You're the leader of the Halo Kiddies.
MTW wrote:don't make me DDoS you.
sabu

Post by sabu »

Twinreaper wrote:So you are saying that after core has rwbuilt the conversion, that the new map you get is missing, messed up, or changed all the mach or scenery items? That is a strange error itself. The only real thing i can say to do is to make sure every scen and mach item in the map you are converting, has the right "bsp origin" value. Also after a conversion, sometimes you need to reopen the new map you got from the conversion and make sure that theg do not have any script referrence still located in "type" field in each one. Hopefully you know what I am talking about. If all else fails, it may be easier to completely decompile the sp map, and manually add the machs and scenery to the base maps scnr file. This is also the best way to add new chunks to a map.

If you like I can make the map conversion for you. I will just do a basic one containing all tje sp maps items. Just let me know which bsp in the sentinelwalls.map you want.
I'm not too sure what you meant by that first part, when I rebuild a map, it comes out nice and easy, as a matter of fact when I load the BSP up which everyone would have to do right after doing a conversion because we need to put the player spawns inside the map, if I click anything like for instance... scenery or machines, they will show that they're there and even with the model shaders and color inside the bsp viewer, it will also let me move it around if I had to, however when I go inside the game... it's like they're not even there, just full collision. As for the map we're talking about right now I'm doing the second to last BSP inside the map where you arrive outside in the snow? when you drop down the giant shoot, it's called Sentinelhq2 or something, the entire map is perfect... my only main concern at my starting point was to get the machine (the sniper watch tower in dune) to appear inside the game because it does inside the bsp viewer, well nothing worked that I've tried so far so I figured why not just remove it... not like I need it anyways, I tried nulling it and even putting it under the map, nothing works.

At this point it really isn't a major concern anymore.
Ps. when I said machines don't show, I was particularly meaning one 2 machines which happened to be the same, which were the watch towers that you would find in various campaign maps or in dune.map, other machines like the doors that appear in that bsp? will show, just not the towers.
Xerax wrote:I have had no luck with this. I've tried 2 different BSP's, 3 diffrent MP maps, and each time H2C fails on compiling, also H2G crashes when i try to edit scripts.

I'm also adding AI into the map though, could anybody give me a hand? Thanks.
I've got no trouble compiling any maps.. I could help if you'd like. The only problems I've only ever had is no one fully explaining the rest of a bsb conversion.. other than getting it to load.
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

The cov_watchtower machs you are talking about use a script. Also, if nothing for the mach shows in-game, that means you need to check your mach flags and values in the scnr file. One way to test if it spawns at all properly, is to load up a gametype that will not end in 3 rounds and see if it spawns or is visible by the 3rd round. But like I said, I dont ever recall seeing anyone actually get the watchtower in a mp map, due to the fact that is most likely uses a script to keep it from falling off the grav beam that comes from the watchtower base. I dont think I personally ever messed around with it at all, but I can look into it for you. I'll report back what i find.
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

Isnt there one in Dune?
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

It's been put in maps. It's just two machs I believe (platform and base), and they both exist on Dune without a script.
sabu

Post by sabu »

Thanks twin and everyone who commented to help clear up some things on that, I just find it odd how machs would work perfectly fine on other conversions such as.. I think it's deltacliffs? the doors work amazing after a conversion but for the watch tower on sentinal walls, nothing appears. My only major concern at that time was well... k it looks fine not being there, why not just sink it under the map or null the model itself? just black screen as soon as it loads.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

I'm having some trouble with this. My map won't decompile if I add chunks to it. Is there a way to get around that?

Oh, and I also wanted to say, that I am trying to get onyx chunks in a bsp conversion. That is why I need to copy chunks and add them to my map, not just add chunks.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
sabu

Post by sabu »

DoorM4n wrote:I'm having some trouble with this. My map won't decompile if I add chunks to it. Is there a way to get around that?

Oh, and I also wanted to say, that I am trying to get onyx chunks in a bsp conversion. That is why I need to copy chunks and add them to my map, not just add chunks.
I sense that you're only stating this because before this attempt, you attempted to add chunks after the conversion and it wouldn't work?
The only thing I could suggest is that you're either using incompatible entity or h2c. The only reason why I say this is because I've had problems like so, however I've been able to add chunks after the map has "Recompiled". For example, my coag.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Yeah, you're right. I've had troubles afterward with adding chunks. I have always had those problems, however. I know every map has a limit of chunks, and I am convinced that it is more difficult to add a lot to a bsp (chunks and data) after a bsp conversion than before. So, because I can't even add 1 onyx chunk and one onyx placement without it freezing, I was going to add all of my chunks before the conversion. But my H2Core (first version) doesn't decompile chunk added scenarios at all. The new version that I use, which is the one used in the tutorial, doesn't complete the map decompile process at all. It basically freezes.

Now, my question to you is, is it worth it to mix and match the many scnr plugins I have to see if they work better for adding chunks on a bsp converted map or is inevitable that adding chunks and meta is more difficult in map that has already been decompiled, chopped up, and has a bsp conversion with in?

Does that make sense? I'm trying to get this figured out, because if I can't add onyx chunks, I'm fukd. :oops:

EDIT: Here is one more question. Has anyone been able to put onyx chunks in a bsp conversion yet?
Remnant! We were the last stand.