Parallelepipedal Stretching/Resizing Made Easy.

This if for tutorials and information for the community to use for great works.
Keep them organized now!..
Yamagushi

Parallelepipedal Stretching/Resizing Made Easy.

Post by Yamagushi »

Well, Not much to say but I needed this process to be quicker, so I made the whole process as simple as possible, It looks long but its literally pick a size and fill in the blanks. (For those who dont know what this is, its making a custom rectangle of any size with working phmo and collision.)

What you need:
Entity
My Edited Plugins
My Machs

It is not needed with my tut, however as Neodos stated, it can be important to know the difference between PHMO and Coll.

Remember it like this,
Collision is bullet/grenade collision. Remember the bullet collides.
PHMO(Physics Model) is physical collision, basically anything but bullets and grenades.

Now, This tutorial will be for making various rectangles only.

The first step is to pick the size you would like your rectangle, it can be any combo of AxBxC(lengthxwidthxheight). The Machines included come 30x30x1.(I know it says 15x15x1 on the mach, etc, Its a typo ignore it.)Write this number down as AxBxC=00x00X00 (Your Numbers replacing the 0's of course.)

Secondly comes collision. Using My plugins, Coll, Mode, And PHMO have been chopped up to only show you what you need. Making this very easy.
Go to the Collision tag, (Mine is scenarios\objects\multi\yamagushi\game15x15x1wall\game15x15x1wall)
Click on the scroll down bar under "Planes" Select the Cooresponding Number, and Simply Fill in the info as instructed below;

Plane 0:
Distance of the plane from the center. = 1/2C

Plane 1:
Distance of the plane from the center. = 1/2C

Plane 2:
Distance of the plane from the center. = 1/2B

Plane 3:
Distance of the plane from the center. = 1/2A

Plane 4:
Distance of the plane from the center. = 1/2B

Plane 5:
Distance of the plane from the center. = 1/2A

Now for the next part of Collision.
All you need to do is click on the scroll down bar under "Vertices" Select the Cooresponding Number, and Simply Fill in the info as instructed below(Make sure to get the positives and negatives right);

Vertice 0:
x = -1/2A
y = -1/2B
z = -1/2C
Click Save

Vertice 1:
x = -1/2A
y = 1/2B
z = -1/2C
Click Save

Vertice 2:
x = 1/2A
y = 1/2B
z = -1/2C
Click Save

Vertice 3:
x = 1/2A
y = -1/2B
z = -1/2C
Click Save

Vertice 4:
x = -1/2A
y = -1/2B
z = 1/2C
Click Save

Vertice 5:
x = 1/2A
y = -1/2B
z = 1/2C
Click Save

Vertice 6:
x = 1/2A
y = 1/2B
z = 1/2C
Click Save

Vertice 7:
x = -1/2A
y = 1/2B
z = 1/2C
Click Save

Great, Your now done with your new collision. The hard part is over.

Next we will do Mode. Go to the Mode Tag, (Mine is scenarios\objects\multi\yamagushi\ingame15x15x1wall\ingame15x15x1wall)
Fill in the following info(Make sure to get the positives and negatives right.);

X(min) = -1/2A
X(max) = 1/2A
Y(min) = -1/2B
Y(max) = 1/2B
Z(min) = -1/2C
Z(max) = 1/2C
Click Save

Done, Now for the last part PHMO. Go to the PHMO Tag, (Mine is scenarios\objects\multi\yamagushi\game15x15x1wall\game15x15x1wall)
Fill in the following info;

X = 1/2A
Y = 1/2B
Z = 1/2C
Click Save

Thats it. I've made it that fricken easy. Enjoy. =D

One problem that some have is this new mach wont show up on the sbsp viewer.
As an added aid, included in the download is scenarios\objects\multi\yamagushi\sbsp15x15x1wall\sbsp15x15x1wall. This is a "Dummy" file, simply go to its Mode and enter the same info you did above for the Mode step. Once done swap to this mach to see what your doing then swap it back to the other for in game.

Thanks to Neodos for the original research/tutorial/plugins!
Attachments
Parallelepipedals.rar
Edited Coll, Mode, And Phmo Plugins.
In Game and Sbsp Machs
(Note: Tho the edited plugins take away everything not needed from sight, it is still there, click tools at the top of the meta, select show. Check off Show Invisibles. Hit ok.)
(651.44 KiB) Downloaded 559 times
Last edited by Yamagushi on Thu May 22, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Detox. Sorry for leaking your RTH. Everyone else, Dont mess with these ppl.... x_x
Dragonfire

Re: Parallelepipedal Stretching/Resizing Made Easy.

Post by Dragonfire »

Cool! Nice job Yama :D
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Nice work. *sniff sniff* Do I smell an app cooking somewhere around here?

Can you make pyramids just by using some redundant vertices and planes? What about spheres? A sphere can be defined (geometrically) with just a point and a radius. I wonder if you have to approximate it with planes and vertices though. I should have another look at the giant soccer ball.

With parallelepipeds, spheres and pyramids, we could start to simulate a small BSP. THEN we just need an app that takes an input .obj file (a small BSP someone has designed) and approximates it using just those three shapes, in various sizes.

BTW, just to be the sharpshooter, it's parallelepiped. Who says I took calculus for nothing? :p
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

has anyone tried to fix the pelican with this yet?

as for an app i think it would be easier to create a modeling program than convert an obj to ppp's
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

I have something in the works: if somebody can help with with the obj format I can add that to the list of imports :\

Good tut btw; no more about apps and such :p IM me about the app if you must, do not post about it here.
neodos

Post by neodos »

xzodia wrote:has anyone tried to fix the pelican with this yet?

as for an app i think it would be easier to create a modeling program than convert an obj to ppp's
Yes but the pelican has a spherical physic chunk, it mixes with boxes, the spherical physic makes it spin on the bsp >_>
The only solution would be to remove that reflexive properly and no nulling ou tthe reflexive ints won't work maybe that the sphere physics is linked to something, besides i wonder why bungie added that spherical physics to the pelican :/
They also added it to the scorpion turret. ~DS
Click16

Post by Click16 »

neodos wrote:
xzodia wrote:has anyone tried to fix the pelican with this yet?

Yes but the pelican has a spherical physic chunk, it mixes with boxes, the spherical physic makes it spin on the bsp >_>
The only solution would be to remove that reflexive properly and no nulling ou tthe reflexive ints won't work maybe that the sphere physics is linked to something, besides i wonder why bungie added that spherical physics to the pelican :/
They also added it to the scorpion turret. ~DS
Maybe so bungie could get away with a few things in cinematics where it goes through tight spaces and in campaign when it flies into something that you cant see (because its out of the map)
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

But then why does it appear to have proper collision on a mach? Can't we find out what enables it to do that and somehow keep it enabled?
Yamagushi

Post by Yamagushi »

Woot my tut finally gotted moved. ^_^
Detox. Sorry for leaking your RTH. Everyone else, Dont mess with these ppl.... x_x