How to Swap an Ident

This if for tutorials and information for the community to use for great works.
Keep them organized now!..
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

How to Swap an Ident

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

Allright guys, this is for the new modders who are just starting out.

This is really simple, you do it one time, and you'll be able to do it a million.

Preferred Application
Entity UE v1.6

Requirements
Halo 2 Map File

Tutorial

Step 1 - Open Entity UE v1.6, or whatever other application you are using to edit Halo 2 Maps.

Step 2 - I will be using Zanzibar for this step. Go to File > Open > Zanzibar.map

Step 3 - On the left side of Entity, you should see a treeview of things such as, "<fx>," "adlg," "bipd," etc. Scroll down until you see "weap."

Step 4 Press the little plus sign to the left of it, and tags of all the weapons in the map should appear.

Step 5 -Click "objects/weapons/rifle/battle_rifle/battle_rifle" This is the weapon, the battle rifle, in the map.

Step 6 - Things called Reflexives should appear in the middle of the screen. You should see, "Attachments [0], "Predicted Resource [0]," etc. We won't be dealing with those. Right click the screen, next to those Reflexives, and three options should appear, "Swap," "Display," and "Clone Chunk." Go to Display > Idents.

Step 7 - Many things should appear on the screen. In the box where everything appeared, scroll down until you see "Projectile [0] on the left side on the box."

Step 8 - Right Click "Projectile [0]," and click "Swap." A small box should appear on your screen, with two drop down boxes.

Step 9 - Click the, "objects\weapons\rifle\battle_rifle\projectiles\battle_rifle_bullet" one, and all the projectiles available in that map should appear. So, if you want the battle rifle to shoot plasma rifle bullets, find "objects\weapons\rifle\plasma_rifle\projectiles\plasma_rifle_bolt" and click it. It should have replaced "objects\weapons\rifle\battle_rifle\projectiles\battle_rifle_bullet."

Step 10 - Press "Swap Ident."

And you're done! You're battle rifle should now shoot plasma rifle bolts instead of battle rifle bullets. Now, this seems a little boring, because who wants to shoot plasma rifle bullets? You can back to Step 9 and decide to have it shoot Scorpion tank cannon shots, or banshee bombs. By the time you finish reading this tutorial, you should know how to do that yourself.
There's an extra step for those just starting out and want to play it immediately.

Step 11 In the bottom right of Entity, there's a button called "Sign." Click it. Wait a moment, and a box should appear, saying "Done." You have to do this WHENEVER you edit the map. It fixes the encryption, so that you'll be able to play the map.

WARNING: Very professional, amazing mods can be made using Ident swaps. The problem is, "cheating" mods are also made by Ident Swaps. You can't make a mod with every weapon shooting the scarab gun, and expect it to be respected. People consider these as mods that are used on Xbox Live to boost one's skill level, because gaining kills is so easy.
Ident swaps are great, but you need more than that, be sure to skin your maps as well, and to other original, creative things, such as adding scenery.

Happy Modding.
Last edited by Aumaan Anubis on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

you have got to be kidding me....
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

... problem?
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

lul
Last edited by DemonicSandwich on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

Everybody was once at a time when they had absolutely no idea how to mod, I simply made a tutorial for those who will join us at the very beginning of their modding "career."
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

I think he simply means that your not really connecting with your audience. People on theese forums SHOULD all know how to mod already. At least in some areas.

Good tut as far as I could tell, but please fix the formatting.
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

JacksonCougar wrote:I think he simply means that your not really connecting with your audience. People on theese forums SHOULD all know how to mod already. At least in some areas.
HaloMods is constantly getting new members, introducing new members to modding. Therefore, I assumed that some of these new members would become interested in Halo 2 Modding. Some of them won't have any experience whatsoever, and they may even join Remnant. Therefore, this tutorial should make modding easier to understand, because I never found a tutorial on HaloMods that was as basic as this, and someone was able to do it without having any prior knowledge.
JacksonCougar wrote:Good tut as far as I could tell, but please fix the formatting.
What do you mean by that?
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

nvm; didn't look at it close enough...

nice
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

I know this is picky, but this is really swapping an ident, not a dependency :lol:
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

OwnZ joO wrote:I know this is picky, but this is really swapping an ident, not a dependency :lol:
Same thing!

Jk, I fixed it. I never really got my terminology of modding prefect.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

dependacies and indents are the same thing...
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

xzodia wrote:you have got to be kidding me....
HAHAHAHAHHAHHA How to open a map in H2Edit.
Aumaan Anubis wrote:Everybody was once at a time when they had absolutely no idea how to mod, I simply made a tutorial for those who will join us at the very beginning of their modding "career."
I was born to mod. Not effects...just make maps. :P
Remnant! We were the last stand.
Prey

Post by Prey »

Can we just get one thing straight.. It's 'Ident', 'ID', 'Identifier' or 'Identity'... not 'Indent'.
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

Fixed again.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

Prey wrote:Can we just get one thing straight.. It's 'Ident', 'ID', 'Identifier' or 'Identity'... not 'Indent'.
lawl; I notice some people called them indents but never really bothered...