Foot Step Effects

This if for tutorials and information for the community to use for great works.
Keep them organized now!..
DarkShallFall

Foot Step Effects

Post by DarkShallFall »

Intro:
This tutorial will demonstrate making effects appear when you step. You can do things like foot prints with decals or flaming feet when you walk!

For this tutorial I will be editing the Master Chief's [foot] tag. I will also be using Entity 1.4
For both Master Chief and Elite you will be editing chunks 0-5 so thats six chunks you have to do the same thing to over and ovaer again.

To edit the effects that will appear when you step, We will be editing the Impact Effect Chunks,

First go to chunk 0 of Impact Options.

In Impact Effects theres a list off all the materials available for the effects to take place on.

In this tutorial I will be editing the sand effect.

To apply the effect you will be using when you walk or land you select an effect in this section(Impact Effect 1#).

Then repeat this step in chunks 0-5

For most materials thats about all you have to do.
For the material I'm doing(sand) theres no material identity meaning that the effect is linked but the material type doesn't know what material type for the effect to take place.

So what you do is add one in this section.

Select something that would have be the same as your Impact Effect chunk. For this I found a chunk with sand in the name.

Here are some videos of successful foot step effects:
Sand Imprints
Landing Explosion
bumlove

Foot Step Effects

Post by bumlove »

very nice tut, could you explain how you split between jump and walk, from the video I see jumping causes 1 effect and walking causes another, one further question could this be manipulated so walking causes damage?
I'm thinking that it could be used to trigger a mine without all the lagg that occurs with neodos mine
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Foot Step Effects

Post by JacksonCougar »

It spawns an effe so I would guess damage is possible. Also I do not think he made it any different between walking and jumping but rather those where two different mods.
bumlove

Foot Step Effects

Post by bumlove »

the second video is just a continuation of the first (the first has the footsteps in too)
the only time I had effe causing damage directly was when I changed to attached smoke effe of the frag proj to beam riffle over heat, I then had to point the over heat effe location to the smoke ( marker on the frag )
I've tried similar with using markers left and right foot but I think I got the materials wrong
I don't want to clutter this well written tut with comments but if anyone could advise what choices for materials I should use so that stepping on a gas container (colossus) goes boom I'd be greatfull
bumlove

Re: Foot Step Effects

Post by bumlove »

now I do feel information is being withheld with regards to this so a dirty great bump is in order, after a good few hours of looking it appears that chunk 0 and 1 are to do with walking and 4 is jump and 5 is landing

there absolute silence for 2 weeks after I asked a question and it was a two line reply, thanks for proving me right dark
DemonicSandwich
Trollwich

Post by DemonicSandwich »

bumlove wrote:now I do feel information is being withheld with regards to this so a dirty great bump is in order, after a good few hours of looking it appears that chunk 0 and 1 are to do with walking and 4 is jump and 5 is landing
Pretty on spot. I took the mostly complete [foot] plug-in an added the remaining values based from H2V along with useful information on each chunk.

I got to the point one day where I needed to edit the [foot] tag of a weapon and had to fill in the values to get what I wanted done.

xzodia, if you need the [foot] tag them this be it...
Attachments
foot.zip
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Model Customization Pt.01|Model Customization Pt.02|Bipd Attachments|True Marker Rotations
"I'm the h4x man! Skibby Dibby Dib YoDahDubDub, YoDahDubDub"
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Nice find DS.

If you kill yourself with an explosion triggered by landing or walking, does it count as a suicide or a Guardians kill? I suspect the latter but will try it just to be sure.

Edit: Yes, it's a Guardians kill. So it makes a poor substitute for falling damage or fake death zones. A good find, nevertheless. In my experiments, I found the [foot] tag to be tricky - some effects you choose may not show up at all.