The Button Mash-Hop

This is dedicated to all the mods the community wants to share!
Patches only people. No Map files.
CaptainPoopface

The Button Mash-Hop

Post by CaptainPoopface »

I tried to choose Nerf-looking guns, because that's what I had in mind for this mod...

There are 3 modded weapons on this map - the carbine, the brute shot, and the shotgun. All guns start with half a clip. The only way to get ammo is to mash the B button furiously, then push X once to load the ammo into the clip. In addition, walking is very slow, but jumping is high and allows you to move fast. Shields start recharging 2 seconds after taking damage but recharge rather slowly. So you can expect a lot of hopping around and button mashing! I don't know how it will play. I think it will reward the person who can aim well while jumping. Looking forward to testing.

Weapons: Carbine shoots glowing green banshee bombs. Brute shoots glowing pink orbs. Shotgun shoots covenant turret blobs. Damage should be pretty well balanced. Grenades are unmodified.

All meta edits so the patch is tiny! If it plays well, it would be easy to port to other maps.
Attachments
buttonMashHop_BeavCrk.serenity
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
XZodia
Staff

Re: The Button Mash-Hop

Post by XZodia »

Sounds very original and fun =)
If you haven't done this already, I would suggest removing the unmodified weapons from the map.
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

I love how the projectiles on the brute shot and the carbine hang around for some time after you fire them. And the ammo/reload mechanic is genius.
I found the shotgun rather odd...I think maybe it should have a shorter range and I'd like to see the projectiles hang around like the others.
I also think the walking needs improvement as its difficult to stop moving once you get going ( its like playing on ice lol #ModIdea =P )
Overall all, very original and I hope to play it with others soon =)
CaptainPoopface

Yeah, the shotgun is a little odd. I wanted the projectiles to hang around more, but the MGS2 is oblong to simulate moving at high speed, so it looks goofy when it bounces off a surface at lower speed. If I knew more about the MGS2 tag, I might try to make it more orb-like. I agree the running feels funny. I'm not sure there is a way to make walking very slow but jumping rather fast without resulting in the slippery effect. The intention is that people will jump constantly, which tends to make them easier to hit. In a mod where each shot is hard-earned from button mashing, I thought it would make the game more dynamic.

Thanks for playing. Looking forward to getting some kind of group together for it.
CaptainPoopface

I'm inspired by Mystery to make a map pack of small-ish maps from the campaign, featuring this set of modded weapons. But I've never play tested it with others. It has 60-odd downloads, but only XZodia has posted any feedback... Has anyone tried it with multiple humans?

I'm also tempted to make multiplayer SP map packs for my darkness mod, flying mod, and a couple others. But this one is all meta edits, so it's lower hanging fruit.

Any thoughts or preferences out there?
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

We should play-test some map on the weekend?
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

This would be fun with AI =)
CaptainPoopface

A play test would be great. There are a few snags though: I have no microphone, so we would have to have a chat open. I never got XBC working - tried with Ogrish long ago but don't know what the problem was. I always used Xlink Kai, but I gather it is dead. So I would have to figure that out. And most of all, my schedule is hard to predict and I don't want to plan a session and then flake out.

How about this: I will put together a few test maps and a main menu for them, and we can book a time well enough in advance that I can arrange to be there. I would like to incorporate XZodia's suggestions about this mod in particular.
Sound OK?

Not sure how to balance these weapons with AI...
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

For AI, It would be more a matter of correctly unbalancing the weapons...

The AI should be like boss style elite players, with there own super weapons, which the rookie players are trying to avoid/defeat in order to achieve their objective (bomb/ctf mb?). Kind of like some 90s TV shows involving paintball or laser guns...