Halo 2 Powerups

This is dedicated to all the mods the community wants to share!
Patches only people. No Map files.
CaptainPoopface

Halo 2 Powerups

Post by CaptainPoopface »

After working at it little by little for months, my powerups are now ready. When I play Reach, it's usually hard to pass up the jetpack for anything else, at least for the gametypes I play. So I tried to come up with things I might reasonably forgo a jetpack for.

The map is Zanzibar.

JETPACK (plasma pistol): Self explanatory. It's suited for occasional bursts rather than the sustained press in the Bungie/343 version. Unlike their jetpack, this one can reverse a rapid descent or quickly zoom up.

GRAPPLING GUN (smg): Jump and shoot to grapple forward. The gun emits a red beam to indicate its range. If you can see the red circle on your target surface, you are within grappling range. Alas, the light follows the barrel of the gun and not the reticle, and this cannot be rectified. Push L trigger to climb walls. This is helpful for when you grapple into a wall and then need to hop over the edge. You'll know you've got the hang of it when you can stand by the Ghost and grapple into one of the two windows of the base above the gate without touching any walls. I recommend firing immediately after jumping for best results.

Although I know of a more elegant way to implement the grap gun, it is too complicated, so this is as good as it gets from me. This was one of the holy grails that lured me into modding years ago, and I feel pretty satisfied with it. Of the few ideas of mine that Bungie has "borrowed", I wish they would take this one!

ADRENALINE (plasma rifle): Right trigger makes you sprint for about 4 seconds. Jump + left trigger for a Flood-style lunging jump. You can change the trajectory of this by aiming upward a little more, although it won't work for going straight up. This one really covers some ground. Much beefier than the standard running ability.

CLOAK (sword): I always thought this was a lame power, so I did my best to spruce it up. Activated immediately on pickup and lasts until you sustain enough damage to become visible. If you're on the ground, hold crouch and then jump for a jump jet.

All of these were done with meta edits! Note that this map is intended for testing the powerups. Many of the projectiles and effects are thoroughly jacked in this map because of the shared meta between effects. Some of the standard weapons are intact though. I would love to put these in a map pack, but I do not trust my tag extraction/injection to be SLC... So it'll be slow going.

Because you can get to just about any part of the map with these, I think they are better suited to objective games or power weapons. Otherwise, you might have camping problems.

Please try them and let me know what you think, particularly if something seems over- or underpowered.

If anyone is interested in how to make these for their own mods, I will be happy to explain. The jetpack and cloak are easiest, and the grap gun is most complex.
Attachments
Powerups.serenity
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
XZodia
Staff

Re: Halo 2 Powerups

Post by XZodia »

Cool, I'll hopefully have time to give this a go later today :)
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

These are all so damn clever.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Giving this and Mash Hop a run around just now =)
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

These are really cool, the only suggestion I would make would be to lose the scattered fire on the smg and give it a longer (possibly infinite) magazine
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Good idea to eliminate the error on the SMG. A larger clip is troublesome because a "recharge" penalty needs to be imposed. Otherwise, it is too easy to jump and grapple forward to the ground constantly as a way of "running." That would obviate the adrenaline and be overpowered. Already, the grap gun lets you climb any wall, and the recharge is pretty quick, because it's my favorite powerup. 8-) I suppose I could make the grappling force more powerful, but if you hit the left trigger against a wall to climb it while you are still accelerating forward (especially if the wall is slanted), you can accidentally go sailing over your target.

I'd love to put together a map pack of these, but they can take a long time to make with just meta edits (especially the grap gun - 4 distinct projectiles and 5 effects involving 2 accelerations). I wish I could confidently extract and build them into several maps while keeping SLC intact. Can anyone post some battle-tested plugins for this?