Darkness: Midship

This is dedicated to all the mods the community wants to share!
Patches only people. No Map files.
CaptainPoopface

Darkness: Midship

Post by CaptainPoopface »

It's been sleepy around here... I'm uploading something so people know modding LIVES. Sorry for no pictures at the moment. They are a hassle to produce.

This is a simple but fun mod in which the map is shrouded in darkness. The shotgun and needler have a flashlight attached that is on at all times and visible to all players. The magnum and brute plasma rifle have a somewhat larger range of vision that other players cannot see. The needler has been modded to fire like a sawed off shotgun - two quick shots that spray needles in a shotgun-like pattern, and then you must reload. The brute plasma rifle is semi-automatic but otherwise unchanged.

So the 2 short-range spray guns are easy for others to see in the dark, and the 2 medium-range pistols are stealthy in the dark.

The frag grenade acts like a molotov cocktail; it spawns a giant ball of plasma that damages shields only, lasting about 5 seconds. I call it a "plasmolotov".

This mod is intended for king of the hill, although I suppose it would work for any other game type. It is done entirely with meta edits! I intend to make a set of maps with this same mod on them (Elongation, Gemini, Warlock, Colossus). But it's slow going, as it competes for my limited time with another map pack I'm working on.

Special thanks to DemonicSandwich for explaining the meta sharing technique, and TroyMac1ure for investing significant time in making Entity a much more powerful and efficient program.
Attachments
midship_nvk.serenity
(2.63 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
XZodia
Staff

Re: Darkness: Midship

Post by XZodia »

Sounds fun =)
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

CaptainPoopface wrote:Special thanks to DemonicSandwich for explaining the meta sharing technique, and TroyMac1ure for investing significant time in making Entity a much more powerful and efficient program.
Now with the newest Entity, meta sharing should be a breeze! :wink:

:hmm2: Need someone to play this with after I d/l it...
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Some <lame> in-game shots. Would've been better if I actually had a second or third to play against:
CaptainPoopface

Thank you for posting those! Wish I could play test as well on system link, but taking care of sick family this weekend. I have played splitscreen with a friend and had a good time. Let me put together a few more of these, and then good times can ensue on kai.
By the way, can anyone explain how to make a level with a daytime sky look legitimately dark?
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

It's moments like these where I feel a sense of renewal for a hobby that changed my life for the better. This mod gives me hope and a new sense of appreciation for the members here not that modding will be revived but that we all will share a commonality our entire lives. Halo 2 came out 8 years ago, yet we all still share in our interests. Thanks man! I will definitely try this out after work tomorrow. It is a mod like this that inspires me into making mods even though I know it will get played by only a handful of people.
CaptainPoopface wrote:Thank you for posting those! Wish I could play test as well on system link, but taking care of sick family this weekend. I have played splitscreen with a friend and had a good time. Let me put together a few more of these, and then good times can ensue on kai.
By the way, can anyone explain how to make a level with a daytime sky look legitimately dark?
Are you talking about a simple lightmap change and possibly fog?
Remnant! We were the last stand.
CaptainPoopface

Thank you for your positive remarks, as always. If you just darken the lightmap on a map that has a daytime sky, then the ground is dark and the sky is light and it looks bad. For example, I put this mod on Sanctuary and it looks crappy with the sun in the sky. I've also had trouble making Warlock dark. In addition to the sky, the little bitmap shrubs (decr?) look illuminated in the dark. Fog might be a possibility, but I'd settle for the sky at this point.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

When I did my Hanger mod (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1343&p=18835&hilit=Hanger#p18777) I just replaced the sky (originally had that falling through a bad trip look) with one of stars to give it more the night feel. You could try removing certain sky bitmaps for more realism (such as null the sun and light ray bitmaps on Ascension)
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

CaptainPoopface wrote:Thank you for your positive remarks, as always. If you just darken the lightmap on a map that has a daytime sky, then the ground is dark and the sky is light and it looks bad. For example, I put this mod on Sanctuary and it looks crappy with the sun in the sky. I've also had trouble making Warlock dark. In addition to the sky, the little bitmap shrubs (decr?) look illuminated in the dark. Fog might be a possibility, but I'd settle for the sky at this point.
What I used to do is null the sun in the sky tag, change the lightmap of the map, and then photoshop some of the sky bitmaps to look like night time. The decr might just need a luminosity adjustment in the shader tag.
Remnant! We were the last stand.