~*Tortuga*~ by DoorM4n--*Video Update*

This is dedicated to all the mods the community wants to share!
Patches only people. No Map files.
DoorM4n

~*Tortuga*~ by DoorM4n--*Video Update*

Post by DoorM4n »

Hey Guys,

Today I present to you my proudest creation yet, Tortuga. Tortuga was an idea that I developed within the first month of my modding career—if I may call it a career—and that was the week that Halo 2 was released. In my thoughts, I called this idea my pirate mod, and it was intended to be built on Zanzibar. I filed that idea in the filing cabinets deep within my head and knew that I could only pull this idea back out when the proper technology allowed me to make this piece the way I wanted it. Since the week of November 09, 2004 till now August 14, 2011, you all have developed all of the programs needed and inspired every creative fiber of mine to build Tortuga. I thank you. Without the application makers, I am nothing. Without the community to inspire and play my mod, I am also nothing. Without all of you, I would not mod Halo 2. So I thank you for all you have done for me throughout the years and for creating an alternative reality in which I can de-stress, kick back, and channel my energy.

Tortuga, in my opinion, is unlike any Halo 2 mod created. It is SP-MP conversion, but it does not take place on a bsp that is used in Halo 2—though the BSP will look undeniably familiar. The bases for each team are completely original, with custom mode and phmo and coll. Obstacles are strategically placed, while over a dozen completely new weapons unlike anything Halo 2 offers are scattered around the map. Three new vehicles are in the map also. One vehicle is a sail boat. For the first time in Halo 2, a proper boat is present within a mod. A second vehicle is a bit humorous and necessary, for it adds a bit of life to the map. Another feature of Tortuga is that the player may now have the effect of swimming in water—yet another addition that is unheard of in Halo 2. I am so proud to announce this release. It was a personal goal of mine to develop this map before I fully stopped modding Halo 2. I am honored to have you support me. And I am honored to be friends with some of the most incredible minds I have yet to encounter, minds that have dismantled a game engine only to put it back together the way they like it. I would like to dedicate this mod, this time (approximately 3 months and probably over 500hrs), and this energy that I have put into this mod to you—to all of you. You guys are the reason I mod. Thank you, and I hope you enjoy Tortuga.

Thanks for all of the Support Guys, and Please Play the Mod! I am fully confident that you will be pleased with it! :D
DoorM4n

• Completely New Map With Custom Physics (Phmo and Coll)
• Castle
• Pirate Ship
• Shack
• Dock
• Sail Boats
• Cannons
• Horse
• Custom Sounds
• 14 New Weapons

Cutlass – a Pirate’s Weapon of Choice
Duckfoot – a Quick Five Shot Hand Gun
Flintlock Pistol – a Powerful 3 Round Hand gun
Wooden Shield – Deflective Shield that can Block Any Bullet or Arrow
Two Muskets – Two Long Range Muskets that Yield Great Damage
Blunderbuss – A 2 Round Pirate Shotgun that Destroys Anything
Tankard – A Drunkard’s Ale Mug Used for Bashing in Heads
Butcher Knife – Simple Blade with Uncanny Chopping Ability
Stone Axe – A Useful Tool to Gut Your Enemy
Bow – Single Shot Bow with Deadly Arrows
Crossbow – Double Shot Crossbow that has Remarkable Accuracy
Hand Cannon – A Persuader of any Plunderer
Spike Ball – Don’t Take a Swim Without these Guys
Bomb – Get Hit by One of these and You’re Kraken Bait

Sailboat – A Speedy Sailboat with Two Cannons for High Speed Warfare
Horse – A Land Mammal With a Cunning Act for Violence
Cannon – A Fully Functional Pirate Cannon with Cannonball Projectiles

Thank you very much for the video Callous!

The list of people I want to thank you so much for the help and the assistance is HUGE, and I list these in no particular order. I could not have made this without you guys! Thanks for Everything!
• Remnant Mods--JacksonCougar, Ogrish, XZodia, DemonichSandwich, troymac1ure, bumlove, Aumaan Anubis, xxpenguinxx, neodos, Click16, CaptainPoopface, and every single Individual that goes to http://www.forum.remnantmods.com. You guys have kept me modding. Thanks for answering all my ridiculous questions and helping me out so much!
• My friends where I live that support me and love playing my mods. Team eV was our group name, and it contains a dozens of friends that I will have for life. Thanks for the support!
• Program Makers! Damn, I wouldn't be anywhere without you: Pokecancer for Entity, troymaclure for his edited version of Entity, TJC2k4 for Insolence, Swampfox for ADI, Tfav for Halo2SoundTools, farklem for Dothalo, Prey for Blu and Orbit, Anthony and Pokecancer for H2Guerrilla and H2Core, Ironforge for Serenity, Low8 for SPPF, Fantastic Six for all of the Ubertools, XZodia for Yelo Neighborhood, Xbox7887 for Yelo and RTH.
• I would like to give a special recognition to Darkshallfall for Onyx. Without Onyx, this map would not exist! Thanks bud.
• Plugin and Tutorial Makers! People like Xzodia, Demonich and neodos (and sorry to those whom I left out) have supplied me with great plugins to make my edits.
• The Makers of Battlefield Pirates whom claim ownership of many of the custom models and custom sounds. I do not claim ownership of these models or sounds. Without the guys over and Battlefield Pirates, I wouldn't have these remarkable models of weapons and boats and scenery. Thanks guys. On that note, you guys must go out and buy Battlefield 2 and Download the Pirate Mod at http://www.bfpirates.com. It is a phenomenal addition to your gaming collection, trust me.
• Bungie! Modders wouldn't be here without Bungie, and we, therefore, owe everything to Bungie.

Final Notes and Bugs

Patch Gemini.map! The map is 88mbs large and the patch is 80mbs. I apologize for this, but I added over 120 models, weapons, and meta, and there is no way around it. I have not tested SLC, but I'm pretty sure it works. A few notes about the map: I had 65 back ups in total, and I probably put over 500 hours into the map. So, I hope you play it! You must play Halo 2 1.0 Version, and NOT the Halo 2 1.1 AutoUpdate. The game will not play correctly if you don't play 1.0. You must play as the Masterchief because the Elite animation gets corrupted when you do a SP-MP conversion. Because of all of the things that I added to this map and all of the memory that these models take up, the map will sometimes disappear at certain angles. So, please ignore some of those disappearing problems and enjoy the map. It won't occur all the time, only if you look in certain angles that encompass all of the added items. The boats are a little tricky to drive off the Pirate Ship, but you can get them off successfully if you accelerate and move very straight. The horse is a fun addition, in my opinion. Don't get all serious and technical on it, it's mainly for fun value. Also, objective games don't work, unfortunately. People don't usually play ob jective game types on mods anyway. Slayer and Team Slayer are the only working gametypes. There is an Easteregg in the map! Go Find it! Have fun and long live Halo!

If you want to contact me about any processes or finish any of the things that I did not finish, email me at [email protected] or contact me via private message on Halomods or Remnantmods.
Last edited by DoorM4n on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
Zaid

Re: ~*Tortuga*~ by DoorM4n

Post by Zaid »

*bump*
Is there an easter egg that involves a baby in the clouds?
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

That's insane. Doesn't even look like halo 2 anymore. o_O
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

So sexy, great job DoorM4n!
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Thanks guys!! Hearing the positive criticism is the loveliest sound I can hear. It means a lot that you guys like it. If you get the chance to play it, please do. I hope you guys can find the easter egg, too! It's not that hard. :)
Zaid wrote:*bump*
Is there an easter egg that involves a baby in the clouds?
Hah, and no there is no baby in the cloud. :lol:
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

lol Okay well i am going to post the picture of the baby in the clouds..haha

Wait...
The baby is pointing at something ??
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

haha, I'm not sure what you're seeing. Can you outline it?

How did you like the map, btw?!
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

Simply Amazing...
I am on an easter egg hunt
I found a grass level thingy is that it?
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

Get on AIM DoorM4n
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

I foundz the easter egg!
The baby in the clouds guided me there....hmm was that planned or what?
An outline of the babys face lol...
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

map wont load for me, maybe my gemini's not clean
Edit: Wierd i edited my main menu to add Tortuga, and got the map pick in fine but its not finding the map,
so i renamed it to test and it works fine.

Time to test this out :D
Last edited by Ogrish on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
neodos

Post by neodos »

Best Halo 2 mod EVER, you sir win!
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

Ausome mod, too bad about the dissapearing shit,
If you dont mind i would like to try and fix this, if i can ill send you a patch to upload.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

It seems as systemlink doesn't work, but I have a few more tests for systemlink in mind...
DarkShallFall

Post by DarkShallFall »

Very well done. Glad to of helped in some way.

I really hope to see more from you, and hopefully a different genre next time.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Ogrish, Neodos, Darkshallfall, xxpenguinxx, and Zaid wrote:
Thanks for all of the amazing comments guys! I am very pleased to know you guys are liking it! My goal was to raise a bar higher than ever before, and I hope I've done that. Putting all of my time and energy into this map that I have is well spent when I can have you guys say such encouraging things about what I've worked very hard on.
Ogrish wrote:Ausome mod, too bad about the dissapearing shit,
If you dont mind i would like to try and fix this, if i can ill send you a patch to upload.
The disappearing stuff is a real bummer, indeed. Bumlove, pm'ed me last month, and he offered to try and fix the map with portal experimentation. I told him that I was about to release so maybe he can work on it once it's released. If bumlove is still available to help with the disappearing stuff, then you may want to get in contact with him. If you guys could fix that disappearing issue then you would be great heros.
Click16 wrote:It seems as systemlink doesn't work, but I have a few more tests for systemlink in mind...
I never tested SLC because I didn't really ask anyone to help me with the map personally, which looking back on it was a pretty selfish thing of me. I have a lot of bitmap holes in the map (when I used the tool BitmapLODRemover), but that is about it when it comes to holes. I "Fixed SLC" with entity, quite a bit of times, also. I probably won't be meddling with this map much anymore because of school starting, and I hate to do this to someone, but if someone wants to try to fix things with the map then I would be completely open to the opportunity. This map is the communities map, in my eyes.
Zaid wrote:Simply Amazing...
I am on an easter egg hunt
I found a grass level thingy is that it?
Haha, the easter egg is not in the clouds. It's teleporter that will take two people to get to. :D
And I'll get on AIM tonight. I have studying to do all day today, unfortunately. :(

-----------------------------
P.S.
I have so many things that I wanted to do more to the map. I had more environmental sounds at one point, but they froze the map and deleted other sounds. I think that was a byproduct of the huge map file and the large amount of things I had already done to the map. I also wanted to add pirate hats to the masterchief. If you look at the hlmt tag, the mc has a model of a pirate hat on his body, but for some reason, it never was visible when I used demonich's biped attachment tutorial. There is also a Spyglass that was going to be used for the plasma pistol, but it seemed a little unnecessary to have a telescope. I also had an idea of putting a large Squid or Kraken model or Bitmap at the bottom of the lagoon. So when people die, it can say that you were Kraken bait (although I left that in for when you commit suicide and the other players see that the text). I think the map was really butchered when H2Core finished recompiling the map. Although I couldn't have made the map without that tool, it is a real shame that that tool chops up the map so badly.
Last edited by DoorM4n on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

I can't wait to try this. You truely have raised the bar. Not that I've played it yet, but I would call this the first real H2X mod. Congrats
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

I wish had could try this but I'm miles from my xbox and my tv is broken =(
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

XZodia wrote:I wish had could try this but I'm miles from my xbox and my tv is broken =(
Dang, well I'll see what I can do about making a video and putting on YouTube for those who don't mod Halo 2 and those who don't have their boxes around. :)
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

Yes, i killed the horse and it died with it legs up, and in a pool of blood Lol.

Nice touch 8-)

I wish i could get my models in without errors, I dont know how you got your looking so good.
I would make a serious comeback if my models looked as good in game.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

haha, thanks! The horse is a nice quirk, if I do say so myself.

What kind of problems are you having with your models? Maybe I can help you out with the issues? :)
eMoneyGraphix

Re: ~*Tortuga*~ by DoorM4n--*Video Update*

Post by eMoneyGraphix »

This is part of the reason why I try so hard in moding. It's amazing what you can do with halo 2 when you have experience this mod probably defines the state of modding right now. Perfect models,physics mods and the completly new level. I really hope to get to your level some day DoorM4n keep it up. :o