Mutation X-Mas Beta

A wealth of applications with which you will need to mod Halo 2.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Mutation X-Mas Beta

Post by Grimdoomer »

I'm announcing this so I have to work on it. Expect a beta christmas eave. Merry xmas, fuck bitches get money, all that good stuff.. yea.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
Ogrish

Re: Mutation X-Mas Beta

Post by Ogrish »

Ho Ho Ho! Thats some good news
neodos

Post by neodos »

We'll see, that'd be great, just need some sbsp injection ;D
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Good to hear.
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

I hope sounds will build in without problems, im tired of sound tags not transfering right, or not working.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Sounds should work fine in this beta. But speaking of which, adding sounds to maps is a bitch. I really should take the sound tags and explode them into a more managable format, then generate the sound diagnostics tag at compile time. But this is another thing I have to work on. I need to do the same with unicode tags since they just link to the tables, they should be exploded to have tag blocks that have the strings as Unicode256 elements.

There are a lot of things I really should do now while its still a trivial task, but I've been trying to just push foward and worry about them later.
neodos

Post by neodos »

Do you think you could get animations working?
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

neodos wrote:Do you think you could get animations working?
Not in this beta.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

How much could I do with a little tinkering around with this beta? I'd imagine it's capabilities are a lot like Insolence at the moment. I'd just like to know what it's like to make a quick little mod outside of Entity.

Also, I don't rightfully assume so, but is bitmap injection supported yet?
fuzzman

Post by fuzzman »

will udlg ever be supported?
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

NotZachary82 wrote:How much could I do with a little tinkering around with this beta? I'd imagine it's capabilities are a lot like Insolence at the moment. I'd just like to know what it's like to make a quick little mod outside of Entity.

Also, I don't rightfully assume so, but is bitmap injection supported yet?
Right now you can import new tags from other maps, I'm working on importing new sounds so that should be worked out for this beta. Unicode should also be editable. Tag blocks have been fully editable although no one seemed to care. I guess it's because they want someone to make the mods for them now too.
fuzzman wrote:will udlg ever be supported?
By this I assume you mean if sounds are still currupt when importing tags? I am currently working on this. I know what the problem is and I'm working on fixing it all.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

K
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Apparently visual studio 2008 does not support default arguments or .Net 4.0. So I was forced to upgrade to visual studio 2010. I didn't even have to open a project before I instantly hated it. It look's ugly, it's slow and they changed the mother fucking font. Fucking microsoft niggers :e_o:
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

you can simulate default args by having a function which calls the main function with said args
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

Grimdoomer wrote:Apparently visual studio 2008 does not support default arguments or .Net 4.0. So I was forced to upgrade to visual studio 2010. I didn't even have to open a project before I instantly hated it. It look's ugly, it's slow and they changed the mother fucking font. Fucking microsoft niggers :e_o:
Maybe this can help disguise the ugliness. :wink:
http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microso ... 9f16402378
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

XZodia wrote:you can simulate default args by having a function which calls the main function with said args
Overloads are nice if you only have one or two, and the arguments would be needed in the overloaded code. But there are a few classes that have 5+ right now, and most of them are rarely ever used. Default args are just so much easier right now.
Eaton wrote:
Grimdoomer wrote:Apparently visual studio 2008 does not support default arguments or .Net 4.0. So I was forced to upgrade to visual studio 2010. I didn't even have to open a project before I instantly hated it. It look's ugly, it's slow and they changed the mother fucking font. Fucking microsoft niggers :e_o:
Maybe this can help disguise the ugliness. :wink:
http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microso ... 9f16402378
Would be nice if it worked with the express editions :?
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Grimdoomer wrote:I guess it's because they want someone to make the mods for them now too.
Yeah, can I just press a button and what I was thinking would just be in halo 2? That's the next feature I wanted for modding apps, can you get that working in mutation by christmas?

Grimdoomer wrote:Would be nice if it worked with the express editions :?
You should be able to get a free full edition if you have a .edu email through dreamspark I believe.
kornman00

Post by kornman00 »

I would say get Visual Assist X, but since you're using Express, it would be pointless. 2010 is great, VAX makes it awesome. If people still weren't using 2008 for stuff I'd upgrade all my codebases (eg, open-sauce) to 2010. VC++ also finally uses MSBuild instead of it's own build system which is just fucking awesome.

I would analyze your machine first before saying it's slow. Don't blame others when your machine is only a single/dual processor, or is minimum spec, or is fragged, or is running too many applications at the same time, or etc etc etc. I rarely ever have response issues unless it's when I've had it minimized for long periods of time and I'm trying to bring it back up (and so would any other GUI expensive program).
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

The problem is consistency. I'm tired of getting use to a program, then a couple years down the road having to upgrade to a redone/revamped version because Microsoft has discontinued support for the old ones.
Eaton

Post by Eaton »

Grimdoomer wrote:The problem is consistency. I'm tired of getting use to a program, then a couple years down the road having to upgrade to a redone/revamped version because Microsoft has discontinued support for the old ones.
That's how software works. The look and layout changes, core functionality is improved and enhanced. If Microsoft never changed their designs, Windows 7 would look like DOS. Plus, 2008's UI got boring after 2 years.. Wouldn't you want something new and pretty to look at on the application you use the most?
It isn't that much different from 2008. I upgraded the day it came out and never looked back.

Not sure why it is slow for you, everything loads much faster than 2008 ever did. Must maybe it is worth taking look at these graphic options:
http://nvsx.net/i/22120.png
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Eaton wrote:
Grimdoomer wrote:The problem is consistency. I'm tired of getting use to a program, then a couple years down the road having to upgrade to a redone/revamped version because Microsoft has discontinued support for the old ones.
That's how software works. The look and layout changes, core functionality is improved and enhanced. If Microsoft never changed their designs, Windows 7 would look like DOS. Plus, 2008's UI got boring after 2 years.. Wouldn't you want something new and pretty to look at on the application you use the most?
It isn't that much different from 2008. I upgraded the day it came out and never looked back.

Not sure why it is slow for you, everything loads much faster than 2008 ever did. Must maybe it is worth taking look at these graphic options:
http://nvsx.net/i/22120.png
You grow acustom to things you do every day for a long period of time, when someone changes that it really pisses me off. Operating systems are different. Everything made in the past 10 years is still pretty much supported. It's because there are companies out there that still use those versions and don't see a need to switch.

Youtube and xbox are a good example of this. Now that youtube is litered with ads I don't go there as much as I use to. Now I just pirate everything I would listen to on there. If I'm gunna have to listen to some 30 second add every time I want to list to some song, I might as well just take 30 seconds to pirate it and never have to deal with it again, simple as that.

With xbox I stopped playing when nxe came out. Before nxe it was a nice gaming expireince, now it's filled with 12 year old cod faggots who go around screaming with their prepubesent voices, saying shit like "D1SR3SP3CT D1SC0NN3CT BR0", when they couldn't even figure out how to change the size of the icecubes that come out of the icemaker on their fridge. That and nxe looks horrible imo. I like the blades dashboard a lot, infact I even still use it on my devkit. I played xbox to play a game, not go around like some idiot with a fucking avatar thing. And again with the ugly navy blue shit. What is it with microsoft and navy blue shit :e_o:
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Theres 2 things I dislike about VS2010, the color (sorted thanks Eaton) and the long waiting time for a debug build to run =S
Seriously, wtf? It sits there for a good 10~20 secs loading necessary shit =S
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

XZodia wrote:Theres 2 things I dislike about VS2010, the color (sorted thanks Eaton) and the long waiting time for a debug build to run =S
Seriously, wtf? It sits there for a good 10~20 secs loading necessary shit =S
I hate how they moved the x box to close a code view tab in 2010. It's driving me nuts. Little things like that are the most annoying.

The removed the +tab/-tab buttons :e_o:
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Been working all day on Mutation. I modifed my field type classes so I can now mark fields as compile/decompile only. This allows me to explode tags like unic and snd! into more managable layouts when decompiling maps. Why is this important? Because this is how the real tool set works. Unic and snd!, as well as a few others, have different layouts before being compiled into the optimized layout we are use to seeing. This makes it a lot easier to add sounds, and modify unicode strings. But the only problem is that decompile times have increased a lot. It is almost painfully slow, and I'm not sure why. I didn't really touch anything that would increase the times. I will have to look into this in a bit.
lx Leo xl

Post by lx Leo xl »

can this beta include an unbrick devkit option :XD: