Simplicity

A wealth of applications with which you will need to mod Halo 2.
XZodia
Staff

Re: Simplicity

Post by XZodia »

Open the info file in notepad and delete everything except the filename of the scnr, should fix the problem
JacksonCougar wrote:I find you usually have great ideas.
JacksonCougar wrote:Ah fuck. Why must you always be right? Why.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Great! Thanks, that fixed it.
Remnant! We were the last stand.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

When I save the scnr file and edit it in Simplicity, my chunk additions don't stay saved. How do I reinject my editing scnr after I have edited it in Simplicity? I can build it in but nothing changes. :?
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

Are you saving in Simplcity after adding your chunks?
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

Yeah, I click save and I click save all. Usually I click it three times each actually.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

DoorM4n wrote:Yeah, I click save and I click save all. Usually I click it three times each actually.
ocd
O.C.D.
OCD
o.c.d. yeah...that's better.
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

hahahhha, maybe so. Actually, I think so. I just injected over 115 different pieces of meta into my map, individually. I custom made each one so that it was perfect :oops: I think I do have a form of o.c.d.
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

So, I can add chunks to a weap or a scnr tag with this, then import it into the map and magically it works? It seems too easy. Could I add reflexives, like a death zone to a map that doesn't have one (like foundation), or add a bloc palette to a map that doesn't have one, like ascension? Could someone give me a quick tutorial?
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

The simple answer is yes.
However, for scnr there's the issue of adding a new scnr to the map, but this is possible, i even made a program to simplify it.
I think troy might have added the functionality to entity as well.

Have a look through this thread for possibilities.

Tutorial:
Extract parsed and recursive using troys entity.
Open .info file in simplicity
Add data
Save
Build into map using the same entity which you extracted with.

If you run into any problems / find any bugs, I should be able to help you out.

Also, this may interest you but its not as far developed as this:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1761
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

As Xzodia stated, the newest Entity 2.1.15 (has some issues, so I recommend 2.1.14 for most stuff), but has an option when you right click the SNCR tag to "Set as active tag". Using this method I have successfully duplicated numerous chunks to Ascension of all maps with no issues. So if you duplicated the SCNR tag, then extracted it, added anything you needed, reinjected it, the "Set as active" the new tag, you should have no issues.

The issues with adding stuff to SCNR wasn't with the SCNR tag, it was with some tag located after it that had it's data shifted. When you duplicate the tag, it adds it to the end of the meta, so you can add as much as you like without shifting any other tags data. Then you just need to set that new tag as active so H2 knows where to look.
I didn't add the ability to do this to any other tag, but the SCNR is one of the only tags that H2 looks at the tag index (#3), not the name.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

There is one other. matg globals.
Got a min to spare fixing that troy?
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Copied the code for swapping out SCNR and made the appropriate changes, but when it reloads the map, UGH! is all screwed up.
I'll hopefully look into this more, but I've barely touched programming lately & haven't touched Entity in a long while.
That being said, since I stated that 2.1.14 was the most stable, but missing features, I decided to move the features from 2.1.15 over to 2.1.14. I have most of them transferred, but still need to move a few of the other updates. This should allow all new features without the loss of functionality seen in 2.1.15

** For those who care, 2.1.15 had issues because I completely changed the way ALL disk access was done to a new style that would allow me to load (sections of) maps from anywhere (my thought was load sections over RTH). I found out after that trying to access certain areas of memory in RTH locks it up, so I abandoned it anyways.
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

In the past, I have buggered system link by adding a death zone reflexive to foundation and a mach palette to lockout. I would love to add reflexives to the scnr. But slc is essential. Are you saying it is slc with Simplicity and the new Entity? Also, why add reflexives to matg?
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

I can't comment on SLC, but I found out why the MATG duplicate thing is/was failing:

Code: Select all

/// ** This causes failure when setting a different MATG tag as active as the tag is now located **
            /// ** at the end of the meta, not the start
            BR.BaseStream.Position = tagsOffset + 8;  // Offset to MATG meta
            map.SecondaryMagic = BR.ReadInt32() - (map.MapHeader.indexOffset + map.MapHeader.metaStart);
Entity calulates the Secondary magic from the offset to the MATG meta, which when switched now points to the end of the meta instead of the beginning, which buggers everything.
Easy to fix, but a test needs to be done to see if H2 does it this way (doubtful), but if so then this method won't work for MATG.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

I'm fairly sure there's another way of calculating the secondary magic, I think I use it in my H2 Stream dll...
But in theory, if my memory of the map structure serves me, it should be BR.ReadInt32() - (map.MapHeader.indexOffset + INDEXSIZE);
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

XZodia wrote:I'm fairly sure there's another way of calculating the secondary magic, I think I use it in my H2 Stream dll...
But in theory, if my memory of the map structure serves me, it should be BR.ReadInt32() - (map.MapHeader.indexOffset + INDEXSIZE);

Code: Select all

BR.BaseStream.Position = tagsOffset + 8;  // Offset to MATG meta
BR.ReadInt32() - (map.MapHeader.indexOffset + INDEXSIZE);
The problem is that [tagsOffset + 8] (first listing) now no longer points to the start of the meta data, so BR.ReadInt32() returns an offset to the end of the meta. I could scan through all entries and find the lowest entry value, but if H2 just scans for the MATG as the first listing, then it will bugger the map up in game anyways. Gonna need to do an in-game test and see if it loads. If not, then it's not possible to use the same method for MATG as SCNR.

However, if you activated a different SNCR tag as default, then the original (still located near the very start of all the meta) is useless and could be written over for the purpose of enlarging the MATG. In this case the only meta that would be relocated would be [sncl] sound\sound_classes & [spk!] sound\combat_dialogue_constants
As long as there weren't issues moving these you could open up an extra 40,000 bytes or so for duplication in MATG.
XZodia
Staff

Post by XZodia »

troymac1ure wrote:However, if you activated a different SNCR tag as default, then the original (still located near the very start of all the meta) is useless and could be written over for the purpose of enlarging the MATG. In this case the only meta that would be relocated would be [sncl] sound\sound_classes & [spk!] sound\combat_dialogue_constants
As long as there weren't issues moving these you could open up an extra 40,000 bytes or so for duplication in MATG.
Cool idea.

I have a feeling some maps dont have matg as the first tag...I'm very likely wrong, but I thought this was why Insolence couldn't open certain maps such as relic.