Mutation To Do List

A wealth of applications with which you will need to mod Halo 2.
kornman00

Re: Mutation To Do List

Post by kornman00 »

Typically whenever I get writers block it's due to actually not having a clear picture of what my code or whatnot is trying (or rather, how it's trying) to do. Usually re-hitting the design block cures this problem. Then I have a better idea of what my focus is again.

Whether I do my design work on a piece of paper, or stub out some classes in a code editor, I usually feel a lot better. If I'm not motivated enough to do that I'll play a somewhat challenging (so there is room for my mind to wonder) game. Usually during this time is when I figure out solutions and I'm forced to consult the drawing board sort to speak. Halo Wars was good for this, and currently, so is Just Cause 2. The latter because I'm often finding things which I feel make the game weak. So while I'm playing and having a good time I'm also thinking about how the game could be better, and also, how I would go about making it better
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

So you attempt to have Eureka moments basically.
kornman00

Post by kornman00 »

I...give Eureka the opportunity to arise, yes 8-). After all, it's just a matter of connecting the dots (neurons) so what better way to do so than to perform another activity that stimulates such chemical reactions?

Your mind works best when it has room to wonder. Despite what your teachers may say, daydreaming isn't a bad thing :p. Unless of course it's over meaningless topics that get you no where. Like the girl sitting one-seat up and to the left from you. Whose also a full blown lesbian. And thus won't bite any bait you throw out. Meaningless ;p.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

=D
xxpenguinxx

Post by xxpenguinxx »

kornman00 wrote:I...give Eureka the opportunity to arise, yes 8-). After all, it's just a matter of connecting the dots (neurons) so what better way to do so than to perform another activity that stimulates such chemical reactions?

Your mind works best when it has room to wonder. Despite what your teachers may say, daydreaming isn't a bad thing :p. Unless of course it's over meaningless topics that get you no where. Like the girl sitting one-seat up and to the left from you. Whose also a full blown lesbian. And thus won't bite any bait you throw out. Meaningless ;p.
Too bad she doesn't work like a bass does; if you keep smacking it in the face with your worm, it eventually takes it.

Grim, I could IM you constantly yelling at you to finish mutation like a drill Sargent. "STRING TAG, GET MAGIC", "DEBUG DEBUG DEBUG!"
Last edited by xxpenguinxx on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
neodos

Post by neodos »

I used to do that to Grim to keep him doing it, but he just got pissed off :XD:
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Was up until 3AM last night work on this. Finished all the core modifications, and rewrote all the halo 2 map compiling code to work with the new core changes. I just need to fix one last section, and make a few quick changes, then I can start debuging it.
Don't snort the magic, we need it for the network.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Good to hear man :D I was writing another plugin system very similar to what I did with Excalibur except I was going for it reading C code like the tag layouts you posted, but I can't focus on it anymore and I'm just gonna try to reuse Excalibur plugins to get it working quick. Meant to work with halo 1 maps though.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Sounds good, can't wait to see what your making since I'll be moving to h1 very soon.
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

Grimdoomer wrote:Sounds good, can't wait to see what your making since I'll be moving to h1 very soon.
Why and when are you moving back to doing apps and shit for Halo 1?!? Sounds like a strange move to make, but I am sure you have your reasons Grimmie. Will the move be to the Halo PC or Xbox?
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Because mutation is gunna support halo 1... and halo 3...
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Shock120 wrote:what is the ui based on? entity/Insolence/H2EK...
multi-core/threading?
I'm also wondering if map de/compilation can be accelarated by the gpu, with OpenCL (ATI Stream/Nvidia Cuda)?
does it mean anything if a user has a 64MB cache and 6Gb/s HDD?
is BSL different between the games?
which games, do you plan on supporting, which editions, for PC/Xbox etc?
I think it's a great idea to make 1 universal modding app for all of Halo. :twisted:
Custom UI, not threaded but doesn't really need it, no, somewhat, just about every halo game except halo 2 vista.

Mutation is just about compiling working maps with the new core modifcations. Just a small bug with one of the magics and everything should be good. Expect and update within a day or two.
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

The one most important question that has yet to be asked..... Have you gotten custom bsp's compiling yet? If so, which base format? Halo 2 Vista's compiled scenario_structure_bsp, or another?
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

I have not done anything outside of getting a map to build.
Twinreaper

Post by Twinreaper »

When you say "build", I am assuming Mutation simply puts all selected tags of a particular type in the map, and compiles it. Is this a cross platform map builder? Can you take weap and and shit from Halo 1 or Halo 3 and build it into Halo 2, and vice versa?
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Twinreaper wrote:When you say "build", I am assuming Mutation simply puts all selected tags of a particular type in the map, and compiles it. Is this a cross platform map builder? Can you take weap and and shit from Halo 1 or Halo 3 and build it into Halo 2, and vice versa?
I may do cross platform for tag defs that are very similar through out the engines but don't count on it.
supersniper

Post by supersniper »

May I ask why not Halo 2 Vista?
Kantanomo

Post by Kantanomo »

If you were to make Mutation for H2V or finish Gravemind We may be talking a $$$ deal grim.
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

Don't get your hopes up. I don't want to deal with that game because it works differently then other versions of the game. Plus it already has a compiler, and practically no user base. Besides, I only go for the good offers, like the $400 I'm getting for working on another game.
Kantanomo

Post by Kantanomo »

few things.

How many people are still modding Halo 2 Xbox?
How many people have developer 360's? $400 = ur tool or Dev kit 360
Why Would anyone pay the same amount?
why bother developing for Halo 1 PC It already is fully customizable?
what? you found something more breathtaking than HEK+? or something?
Would Halo 2 Vista have a userbase if there were "real" mods. Plus Live is free, no bans fore mods.
Last edited by Kantanomo on Sun May 09, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kornman00

Post by kornman00 »

H2Tool can be modified to not use external tags (so all tags are built into the cache)

The toolset in H2V is the official set. New shaders can be made, new bsps can be made, even new physics models can be made with some modifications (along with a few others). List goes on.

Some sort of support has to be used with H2V as that's where a good chunk of proper tags can be built and made from. If you're wanting new level geometry, H2V's toolkit will be the ONLY source you can get such resources from.
kornman00

Post by kornman00 »

Shock120 wrote: I liked the idea of H2Core + H2Guerilla, decompile and re/compiling the map, adding/deleting chunks, copying chunks/tags over from another
decompiled sp/mp map, editing/adding/deleting scripts, this is what H2EK should've been like.
No, it shouldn't have. That's not how development for Halo is done. Real, and proper, development is all tag based. Cache files are just a memory optimized container.
Kantanomo

Post by Kantanomo »

Grim a Comprimise maybe if We can have your H2V reaserch and source for gravmind i will pay you and every part of it is in your name
Grimdoomer
Admin

Post by Grimdoomer »

I am not adding halo 2 vista support and thats it.
Kantanomo

Post by Kantanomo »

Grim Can you upload your h2v data some were at the very least then you can forget about it and delete it or are you holding it ransom :evil: . Cause im pretty sure we have very experianced coders that can figure somthing out with it, and Shock were is this source you speak of.