Meta Comparer

A wealth of applications with which you will need to mod Halo 2.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Meta Comparer

Post by troymac1ure »

Meta Comparer v1.2

Newest release fixes some crashes and adds an option to ignore same stringID and Ident values with different offsets.
Meta Comparer.rar
Meta Comparer v1.2
(39.48 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
Old topic:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1493
Last edited by troymac1ure on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainPoopface

Re: Meta Comparer

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Awesome. Thank you.

EDIT: Falling damage is now solved, thanks to this app! In the bipd tag, it's "Min Abs acc (Default)." Set it between 2.5 and 4.5, and the biped will take damage when falling from above a certain height. I tried adjusting the height in the matg to no noticeable effect, but I didn't plug away at it for long. The jpt used is globals/collision, and it counts as a suicide when you die! Now every map can have a free death zone at the bottom.

This had been bothering me for ages.
neodos

Post by neodos »

Thanks gonna test it :mrgreen:
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

CaptainPoopface wrote:Awesome. Thank you.

EDIT: Falling damage is now solved, thanks to this app! In the bipd tag, it's "Min Abs acc (Default)." Set it between 2.5 and 4.5, and the biped will take damage when falling from above a certain height. I tried adjusting the height in the matg to no noticeable effect, but I didn't plug away at it for long. The jpt used is globals/collision, and it counts as a suicide when you die! Now every map can have a free death zone at the bottom.

This had been bothering me for ages.
I told everyone it was in bipd 8-) I don't think it should give you a suicide if you did everything right though. If you want to really figure it out you should look for the original ppf pack of Halo 2:CE by Dest. I could probably get it for you, and compare the bipd tag. Where you find a difference, check it against known values and unknowns. I know it was a bitmask somewhere, not just a number, but the plugin with it was lost, so I think you might have done it wrong.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Glad to know it got some use. If it needs anything else, lemme know.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

I found a bug with Strings not being compared properly and a bug with Unicode strings (cause crashes).
v1.2 fixes these things.
bumlove

Post by bumlove »

Could I see the source for this?
Thrasher Alpha

Post by Thrasher Alpha »

I just tried to find a comparison and I found that there is a missing enum in the entity tags...
bumlove

Post by bumlove »

Thrasher Alpha wrote: I found that there is a missing enum in the entity tags...
Which plugin set, which plugin and where? what does it do with dh?
Thrasher Alpha

Post by Thrasher Alpha »

bumlove wrote:
Thrasher Alpha wrote: I found that there is a missing enum in the entity tags...
Which plugin set, which plugin and where? what does it do with dh?
Nevermind. The meta comparer actually gave me the wrong value. It existed in entity, but not at all in the place that the comparer said.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

bumlove wrote:Could I see the source for this?
By all means, I don't keep my code private:
http://www.remnantmods.com/files/troy/M ... mparer.rar

Learn, fix, share, etc.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

What license do you release your code under? Just curious because a lot of people back in the day on halomods would just "Open Source" their code, without any requirement for releasing the code for any modifications/improvements on any stuff they release back.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

OwnZ joO wrote:What license do you release your code under? Just curious because a lot of people back in the day on halomods would just "Open Source" their code, without any requirement for releasing the code for any modifications/improvements on any stuff they release back.
I license it under the "I posted it, use it as you will" aka "Open Source". Maybe some stuff I would be more private with, but for the majority of stuff I do it's for my learning and in this case helping the H2 modding community. I would hope that people don't just take my stuff and turn around and sell it, but if they did, the sucker is the end user as it's all free anyways.

I just hate when people are all "I'm better than you cause I did this and I'm not telling you how I did it" when we're all reaching for the same goals. Obviously if I was going to make a game to sell, I wouldn't be posting all my code and such, but chances are if someone asked me for a portion of my code to learn from I would still hand it over (being it my choice anyways).

I hope people learn from it (maybe not my programming style as I learned alot on my own and therefore I know I fall short in certain coding beautifiations)
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

If you want people to not be private with any enhancements to the code you release as Open Source I would recommend the GNU GPLv3 as the license for your code.
Basically it says you have:
  • The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
  • The freedom to study how the program works, and change it to make it do what you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
  • The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
  • The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
Which means that you cannot take the source and make some changes and re-release it without including your changes(while still complying with the license). You can make changes and keep it for yourself, but you cannot distribute the modified program without making the source for it available. Sounds like you might be interested in looking at it.

Here is the GNU page on Free Software and here is the GNU GPLv3 License
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Thanks. I know of it, just never looked into it that much. Most of what I do is here.... Actually pretty much all is Entity. One day I'll finish up here and move on to other projects maybe. I owe alot to Entity. Without it I probably never would have looked at C#, maybe still trying to program in Delphi or Turbo Pascal still :lol:

I would like to make a game, but (way back in the day) I always tried to do everything myself and so nothing ever got finished. My most notable achievement (in my own eyes) was a 3D shaded tie interceptor that flew through a starfield written in Turbo Pascal & Assembly from scratch (although much of the game engine I did get from the Asphyxia tutorials) and the only game I ever finished was a birthday gift for my wife's friend. It was a FPS, but you couldn't move, just spin around and shoot the incoming care bears, try to kill 50 before they killed your character, Grumpy bear.
Title Screen:

Obviously for those who have programmed in DOS, for ease it was all done in 320x200x256
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

I still use this program frequently. Just wanted to let you know and say thanks. It is very helpful when looking at things I've done, sometimes long ago, and verifying what changes I made. It loads and executes quickly, and the output is easy to decipher. Couldn't ask for more. :mrgreen:
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Thanks, I barely remember making it, but glad you get use from it!