Cadaver Abuse (now with gravity scripts!)

This is dedicated to all the mods the community wants to share!
Patches only people. No Map files.
CaptainPoopface

Cadaver Abuse (now with gravity scripts!)

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Cadaver Abuse
by CaptainPoopface

Let's torture dead people!
Thanks to rentreg for video ^^

NEW IN VERSION 1.2:
- Four switches added near spawn for you to set gravity: Very low, normal, high, and very high. If you want to change back and forth between different gravity settings, just hold X to turn off the active control, and activate a different control. Enable Debug Output in Yelo to see the actual gravity numbers.
- Reduced friction of the chief, so he slides around a little better (most noticeable on Jacob's Ladder apparatus)
- Fixed Johnson's material effects so he grunts instead of sounding like a piece of scrap metal.

NEW IN VERSION 1.1:
- Biped health increased, and HUD shows health
- Pachinko has twice as many pegs; soccer balls replaced with crates; much more chaos
- Walls added to Trash Pit to avoid ragdoll embedding
- Map handles more ragdolls at once; smg ammo increased

How to play:

Step beneath one of the green triangles to teleport to a torture apparatus. As soon as you teleport, push Y to switch to the magnum and you will ragdoll immediately. You'll remain a ragdoll until you die. Flail around and have some laughs as you torture dead bodies. It's extra funny if you play with sound on.

If you play as the elite, you get to be the ODST. Go in the hlmt and rename a different variation to "default" if you want to play as a different marine. The guys in their dress whites are fun to torture.

You can step into the path of a fire grenade when you spawn, to set yourself on fire for about 40 seconds. Just another way to liven things up.

Goodbye, cruel world.

Controls
As a ragdoll, you can scoot along obstacles using A button. If you crouch while falling, you fall faster. If you release crouch while rising, you get a boost upward. I've also added a boost effect that you can activate with melee, which allows you to manipulate your trajectory in midair. Only the chief can use the melee boost though. Marines are on their own.

The Apparatus
Jacob's Ladder

The Chief and Johnson in a close race to the bottom

A series of angled platforms lead to a decisive concrete finish. If your aim is good, you can land among your esteemed colleagues. Good for cadaver racing.

Well done, sir!

Pachinko
A network of red pegs for you to tumble through. Watch out for the rockets and crates in your way. They usually won't kill you, but you never know. Also good for cadaver racing. EDIT2: I have greatly increased the number of pegs and rockets for vastly improved chaos. This is now my favorite apparatus. The original soccer balls have been replaced with crates to save on physics computation.

Trampoline + Girders
Sometimes the cheap thrills are the best. There is almost no danger of dying here. You can leave the ragdolls bouncing around and smacking into the girders for hours of amusement. I have never been able to land the ragdoll on the topmost beam. See if you can.

The Tumbler
Two giant cylinders spin in opposite directions. You'll be spun around and tumbled like a dead hamster in a wheel. If you get stuck in an infinite breakdancing loop, jump and melee until you break the cycle.

same pic as above, zoomed out

The Trash Pit
A pit with a continuous circular air current. When the map loads, there are only two covenant batteries and an air tank swirling in it. What's the harm in that? You'll see once the first battery explodes. Try to collect as many overshields as you can before you get splattered by the insidious air tank or shredded by the battery debris. My personal best is about 12. This torture chamber is the hardest and will require all your special ragdoll moves to avoid death if part of you becomes stuck in the wall. Crouch, melee and jump until you get free. If you can get down to the trampoline at the bottom, it will usually spring you free before the air tank flattens your face.

EDIT2: I have added some walls on the inside to prevent the ragdoll from becoming embedded in the BSP, and it's much better now. Biped health has also been increased.

Weapons:
SMG fires up to 3 dead marines for you to race against, and it's the gun you use when walking.
Magnum turns you into a permanent ragdoll as soon as you switch to it.
Battle rifle commits suicide, for people who don't have Yelo.
Sniper rifle blasts dead ragdolls through the BSP if necessary. (now obsolete)
Plasma grenades are replaced with a crate, for you to toss at leisure. Throw one in the Trash Pit if it's too easy for you, or on the way down Pachinko.

Credits:
Turk645, the father of H2 ragdoll exploitation
Entity 1.3.9, 2.0 and 2.1.6 (nice work Troy Mac1ure)
Yelo by xbox7887 et al.
FCE 3.1 and Sandwich Winerator by JacksonCougar
I Can Has Cubez by Neodos, Ownz Joo, Yamagushi
Latest phmo research and plugins from Neodos 8-)
Fire projectile graciously provided by Darkshallfall
Grav scripts and linkage to controls originally by plushiefire, copied here shamelessly
Special thanks to DemonicSandwich for help with effect editing, meta sharing technique, spawning different tags from effects without freezing, linking jmads to effects, adding and editing scripts, smuggling bodacious plugins to me over the wires, and extensive miscellaneous help at random times

Patch Headlong version 1.2 last edited 9/3/09
Last edited by CaptainPoopface on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
xxpenguinxx

Re: Cadaver Abuse

Post by xxpenguinxx »

I have to download this when I get home.
The Tumbler
Two giant cylinders spin in opposite directions. You'll be spun around and tumbled like a dead hamster in a wheel. If you get stuck in an infinite breakdancing loop, jump and melee until you break the cycle.
:XD:
DemonicSandwich wrote:See that? You see that how it is highlighted down here but it's not highlighted right there? Ah, I guess that's what I get for pirating it.
In Soviet Russia, DS touches you. Say it again and I'll do more than touch. ~DS -Oh baby
A cat was licking itself to the sound of potato chips.
Ogrish

Post by Ogrish »

What ever your on, to come up with these wacky ideas, I want some. :mrgreen:
Click16

Post by Click16 »

CaptainPoopface wrote:Patch Headlong
Is there some better free hosting I can use?
Yes, you can put it up on FileFront, or even host it here at remnant.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

This is something else. lol.
I forgot to run it with Yelo, so I'm sure it would be way better to have a 3rd person view.

Good job Captain'
:p
Aumaan Anubis
Staff

Post by Aumaan Anubis »

You are genius. No doubt the most creative modder I've had the pleasure of meeting.
techtoast

Post by techtoast »

Purely brilliant. You just raised the bar in halo 2 possibly higher then the contraptions made in halo 3 forge.

However, I can't load the map. I patched, ftp'd then felt stupid when i couldn't load it, so i resigned, ftp'd, and it freezes at countdown zero. I tried fixing the encrytpion, resigning, ftp'ing, with the same result. :hmm2:
Greetings, I am techtoast, master of modifuckation
CaptainPoopface

That's odd. Are you sure you patched a clean headlong.map? Disable autoupdate maybe? I just patched and tested, and it works fine for me. You might as well use Yelo to bypass the checksum and disable autoupdate anyway, since Yelo makes a big difference in how easily you'll be able to play and enjoy the mod.

PM me if you continue to have problems.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

techtoast wrote:Purely brilliant. You just raised the bar in halo 2 possibly higher then the contraptions made in halo 3 forge.

However, I can't load the map. I patched, ftp'd then felt stupid when i couldn't load it, so i resigned, ftp'd, and it freezes at countdown zero. I tried fixing the encrytpion, resigning, ftp'ing, with the same result. :hmm2:
I hope that you are using Super PPF :roll: If you are, then idk whats wrong. i know your new here, so maybe you dont know much about modding. on the other hand i could help you out.
techtoast

Post by techtoast »

:!: of course. I used an old headlong map file that was broken. *beating self in head with baseball bat smiley*
I hope that you are using Super PPF If you are, then idk whats wrong. i know your new here, so maybe you dont know much about modding. on the other hand i could help you out.
yes, i used SPPF. and I am relatively new to modding but i learn at lightning speed. I am multitalented but can be proficient in any subject. I would love to learn more from you.

AIM: [email protected]
MSN: [email protected]<--preferred

EDIT: when i try and use developer mode in yelo, the bungie intro sounds like it's been run through a fish tank and played in a drum room full of mosquitos. on top of that when i press any button i get wireframe. i have my updates commented out ($u==z$u) and i disabled auto updates in the yelo menu. i can do anything execept when i enable dev mode it does this. any ideas?
CaptainPoopface

I have no experience debugging Yelo. Are you running it with the Xored launcher? Dev mode only works properly if you have exactly one controller plugged in, and it must be in the first controller port.

It's strange that the intro would be garbled, because it's just a movie file from the disc. I don't know how a trainer would interfere with that. Wireframe should only come on with a specific button combination, I think D-pad down + A. Something definitely seems jacked. Maybe delete the Yelo you have and try a fresh installation from an alternate source?

As a crappy workaround, you can plug in 3 controllers and edit the gametype so that the max number of active players is 2. At the start of the game, kill player 1, who should have the top half of the screen. He will then spectate the other two players, whom you can somewhat control with the game's built-in 3P camera. But you can't control when the camera switches back and forth between players, you can't manipulate the camera angle, and you only get a half screen.

Or use the suicide gun (battle rifle) and set your respawn time to 15 or 20 seconds.

I've thought about making an alternate patch where the elite can fly around and spawn dead bipeds, so you could sort of be your own camera that way. But that's not as good as Yelo. I'm surprised at how little response this mod has gotten, when it's probably my funniest one. So I'm not too motivated to put in extra work for an option that almost no one would use, but maybe I will later.

Dragonfire has some kind of alternate devcam trainer you could also try, if you're having more problems with Yelo, but I'd suggest putting in some time to get Yelo working. It's an indispensable modding tool.
Remnant Samurai

Post by Remnant Samurai »

Is your Halo game PAL region?

Because my Yelo always go wire frame whenever I press anything and it's PAL. Don't know if it would make a difference.
socrates

Post by socrates »

1 controller, port 1 ...only... uuuh I forget the other usual debugging questions...
techtoast

Post by techtoast »

i am using (or attempting to use) the yellow video sync wire for a power button controller mod, i don't see how this would matter but i should put it out there. i will try and use a fresh copy from xbins once i fix my error 13. i'll keep you posted.
rentreg

Re: Cadaver Abuse (now with gravity scripts!)

Post by rentreg »

this looks like great fun :D. ill be sure to check it out first thing tomorrow.
This mod could really use a video, if someone has the means to make one.

sure ill get on it once i fix my fire wire port :)

EDIT: video's on utube :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHd2slC1 ... annel_page
Most users ever online was 152 on March 16th, 2012, 7:02 am
what happened on March 16th, 2012 at 7:02 am? 0_o
CaptainPoopface

Ah, very nice. Thank you. It takes a long time to get through the pachinko pegs with low gravity on, as you discovered. ;) If you turn debug output on in Yelo, it will display the actual gravity values when you push the switches.

This mod is hours of fun. I still play it. :)
rentreg

Post by rentreg »

a very good mod may i add, even with flaming ragdolls it still doesnt lag
DoorM4n

Post by DoorM4n »

I think I would call this "Corpse Abuse" rather than Cadaver cause this looks brutal yet unbelievably cool!
Remnant! We were the last stand.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

or "Cadaver Carnival" as there are so many fun rides :D
Dragonfire

Post by Dragonfire »

I dont hear any sounds from the video, kinda boring, needs some techno music at least ;)
rentreg

Post by rentreg »

lol sorry i should have consulted you guys before i chose the music. i was thinking bodies - drowning pool because it would have suited it nicely but its so overused these days so i went with the next option.