Entity 2.1.24

A wealth of applications with which you will need to mod Halo 2.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Re: Entity 2.1.16

Post by troymac1ure »

Ogrish wrote:I hate it how when you Drag and drop tags Recursive and parsed All the links are broke on the transfered tag.
And im have cloning isues too of coarse.
Is it only drag & drop or injecting as well?

Cloning I am sure is still plugin related. Ascension is a good test subject as it screws up the first person visuals badly (as in when cloning SCNR chunks) , but since it's fine when SCNR is moved to the end, I am sure it exists in a different tag type. It would take some testing, but if one tried to clone SCNR chunks and verified first person visuals are screwed, then with a new map added approximately the same amount of bytes into the map for a tag <just> after the SCNR tag, we could probably narrow down which tag is getting messed up. Not sure if I'll get a chance to try this anytime soon.

On another note, Entity will have at least one more release with a fully functional Hex editor in it, some added quick keys & the ability to hex edit the raw data as well as the meta data.
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

I am enjoying the latest Entity. The way it remembers recently used tags really streamlines workflow for me. Bsp viewer is fantastic. Ability to hide sections in the meta editor and support for multiple plugins is great. The meta editor plus is confusing to me. I also wish I could disable the search box that comes up when I click a string id. It's very helpful sometimes, but sometimes it's better to just type a new string in. not a big deal though. Huge improvement overall. Thanks.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

If only Entity worked for me. I found that the latest version that works is 2.1.10.
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit

When I view Idents it gives me this error.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

That error is harmless. Just hit continue and you'll see that all is well. That issue has been around since Vista.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

CaptainPoopface wrote:I am enjoying the latest Entity. The way it remembers recently used tags really streamlines workflow for me. Bsp viewer is fantastic. Ability to hide sections in the meta editor and support for multiple plugins is great. The meta editor plus is confusing to me. I also wish I could disable the search box that comes up when I click a string id. It's very helpful sometimes, but sometimes it's better to just type a new string in. not a big deal though. Huge improvement overall. Thanks.
NOTED
Click16 wrote:If only Entity worked for me. I found that the latest version that works is 2.1.10.
NOTED
Zaid wrote:I'm on Windows 7 64 bit

NOTED

and...
don't care :XP:
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

You should perhaps put your entity code up on googlecode so others can contribute?
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Looked at that once and was completely lost. If you would like to set it up or give me a good step-by-step I'd be more than willing to. In the past I've been pulled multiple directions while working on Entity, so my new thing is trying to focus one thing through. In this case, I'm going to finish implementing the Hex Editor (basically done, except the raw editing for all raw chunks) and then I'll try fixing a few other small bugs quickly (Like the ListViewItem, 64-bit compatibility, etc).
Unfortunately, I don't have anything 64-bit or Windows 7, so maybe Click would be willing to give a hand on that end? Try compiling the source on 64-bit and see if that works.

This is for my own info when I get home:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1381 ... ss-edition
Prey

Post by Prey »

The 'listview virtualisation' error isn't to do with you using 64bit; Entity is compile as a x86 application (as are the majority of C# apps) which means it will run the same on 32 and 64 bit machines. It manages this by compiling the C# source code to IL source code, which is then converted to valid 32/64bit native code when you actually run the .exe by the common language runtime (CLR), using just-in-time compilation (JIT).

Virtualisation of listviewitems is useful when you know you are going to have many items in the list, and so you only want to create enough listviewitem instances in memory that will fill the listview visually in order to save on a ton of memory: if you have 1000 items but only 10 are visible at any one time, you have only 10 listviewitem instances in memory and store the other information for the 990 items virtually. Then when the user scrolls through the list you can just update the info showed on those 10 items with the info from your virtual database.

Anyway, in the case of a references viewer, there is no need for listview virtualisation, so you could likely remove that code and see no perf difference...

Troy, source control requires 3 things:
  • A server to place the source code: this is where all the source code files are stored, as well as previous versions of those files which can be very useful; It's useful to be able to restore files to a previous state if you find something you did didn't work and broke everything :)

Software to access the online repository: This is how you access the server to either 'update' (download the latest source code), or to 'commit' (upload changed files). This is usually done by right-clicking the folder in which the solution file is located in windows explorer, and then either updating or committing the folder.

A visual studio plugin: This one is optional, but streamlines the above by being able to right-click the solution in the solution explorer and immediately update/commit from there. Also green and red lights next to each file indicate whether it is fully up to date or not.
At my university for example, repositories are located on the uni servers, the svn software we use is tortoiseSVN, and the plugin we use is visualSVN. None of that is free though, so if you want to go down the free route: you can use googlecode/ github/ codeplex/ sourceforge etc as the server, for the software there are numerous options (github offers it's own etc). For the plugin, there is a github plugin called 'git extensions' I believe. But you can only use plugins with the professional version of visual studio, so you may not have this option anyway.
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

Entity keeps setting my plugins path to the old path that I used before I changed the folder name.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Zaid wrote:I'm on Windows 7 64 bit
What Idents are you viewing? All tags or only certain ones? Does it appear when you click "View Idents" or after clicking on the window?
I will try to run this on my wife's laptop (Vista) and see what I can see.
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

Pretty sure all you have to do to fix that Troy is disable the virtualization property in the control ;}
CaptainPoopface

Post by CaptainPoopface »

It happens usually when switching tag class, with idents displayed in the reference editor. Not a big deal, just a nuisance.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

JacksonCougar wrote:Pretty sure all you have to do to fix that Troy is disable the virtualization property in the control ;}
V-I-R-T-U-... :?: you lost me.
I did take a quick look at it last night, but I've never worked with Virtualization & it was after midnight, so it was more of zoning out than anything. I figure if I could just catch the exception then meh.
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

Can't you just do what Jackson was saying?

Code: Select all

listView.VirtualMode = false;
?
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

I dunno. Can I or just do that or am I now going to need to change the way items are added to the ListView as it's setup to add them as Virtual ListViewItems?
JacksonCougar
Huurcat

Post by JacksonCougar »

Idr, but it sounds like its being kludged to work as it is. Virtual mode requires using callbacks and shit.
OwnZ joO

Post by OwnZ joO »

Prey wrote:Troy, source control requires 3 things:
  • A server to place the source code: this is where all the source code files are stored, as well as previous versions of those files which can be very useful; It's useful to be able to restore files to a previous state if you find something you did didn't work and broke everything :)

Software to access the online repository: This is how you access the server to either 'update' (download the latest source code), or to 'commit' (upload changed files). This is usually done by right-clicking the folder in which the solution file is located in windows explorer, and then either updating or committing the folder.

A visual studio plugin: This one is optional, but streamlines the above by being able to right-click the solution in the solution explorer and immediately update/commit from there. Also green and red lights next to each file indicate whether it is fully up to date or not.
At my university for example, repositories are located on the uni servers, the svn software we use is tortoiseSVN, and the plugin we use is visualSVN. None of that is free though, so if you want to go down the free route: you can use googlecode/ github/ codeplex/ sourceforge etc as the server, for the software there are numerous options (github offers it's own etc). For the plugin, there is a github plugin called 'git extensions' I believe. But you can only use plugins with the professional version of visual studio, so you may not have this option anyway.
Keep in mind that the server can be your own computer, you can have a local repository that you check out builds into a different folder.

I have been thinking that it would be nice to have a version control system for plugins too. It would be nice to convert Grims dumps to xml and/or some C# type of plugin. I say go with either github or googlecode for any repository. It really is simple to use source control once you get used to it and it allows for much better collaboration and ability to revert changes that were a bad idea.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Ummm... I think this is it:
https://github.com/troymac1ure/Entity

Still very confused as to what to do. I like the step-by-step intro on the github though.

Also, tried running Entity on my wife's Laptop (Vista) and had some major crashes loading the program. Tracked them down, so for those whose Entity crashes before it even loads, this next release should fix that (or at least have a detailed error report now I'd hope).
Click16

Post by Click16 »

troymac1ure wrote:... so for those whose Entity crashes before it even loads, this next release should fix that (or at least have a detailed error report now I'd hope).
Thank you.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Click16 wrote:
troymac1ure wrote:... so for those whose Entity crashes before it even loads, this next release should fix that (or at least have a detailed error report now I'd hope).
Thank you.
It had to do with the Quick List, so ror now, you can just delete the Registry key and it should load once. If you access a few tags to create a quick list, then I think it will load fine after that.
Click16

Post by Click16 »

troymac1ure wrote:It had to do with the Quick List, so ror now, you can just delete the Registry key and it should load once. If you access a few tags to create a quick list, then I think it will load fine after that.
It still doesn't work. Now I have to copy over 2.1.10 again. :¬_¬:
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Click16 wrote:
troymac1ure wrote:It had to do with the Quick List, so ror now, you can just delete the Registry key and it should load once. If you access a few tags to create a quick list, then I think it will load fine after that.
Why not just put it in a different directory for testing?
Click16

Post by Click16 »

troymac1ure wrote:
Click16 wrote:
Because I'm lazy.
troymac1ure
Keeper of Entity

Post by troymac1ure »

Click16 wrote:
troymac1ure wrote:
Click16 wrote:
Because I'm lazy.
2 Questions:
1) Did you delete the whole registry entry from "Xbox" down, not just Entity or Halo2? If not, then it won't start, otherwise you should see:

2) If it ran once, did you expand the "<All Tags>" and select a meta from there? If not, it will crash on next start.

If these did not fix it, then there may be another underlying issue I haven't encountered. My Vista test is 32-bit (although it shipped on a 64-bit processor :?)